APOD: Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain (2023 Nov 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain (2023 Nov 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:05 am

Image Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain

Explanation: This is a gibbous Moon. More Earthlings are familiar with a full moon, when the entire face of Luna is lit by the Sun, and a crescent moon, when only a sliver of the Moon's face is lit. When more than half of the Moon is illuminated, though, but still short of full illumination, the phase is called gibbous. Rarely seen in television and movies, gibbous moons are quite common in the actual night sky. The featured image was taken in Jämtland, Sweden near the end of 2018 October. That gibbous moon turned, in a few days, into a crescent moon, and then a new moon, then back to a crescent, and a few days past that, back to gibbous. Setting up to capture a picturesque gibbous moonscape, the photographer was quite surprised to find an airplane, surely well in the foreground, appearing to fly past it.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain (2023 Nov 12)

Post by Ann » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:47 am

That's a stunningly beautiful image! :D

The colors are so deep, yet muted. The intensely deep dark blue color of the night sky is amazing. The gibbous Moon reflects the light from the Sun but adds a yellowish tinge to it, because of the Moon's own dark reddish color. Therefore the moonlit snow on the mountain takes on an ever so slight pale sepia tint.

The details in the picture are wonderful, too. The scale of the details on the Moon appears to be the same size as the details of the wind-blown texture of the snow, and the color and brightness of the snow and the Moon are very similar, too. (Not exactly though, because the maria of the Moon appear slightly grayish-blue, unlike the snow. And one crater on the Moon is brilliantly lit, as if the Moon was shiny.)

But the elegantly rounded shape of the Moon contrasts beautifully with the rugged shape of the mountain. And while the mountain slopes down, the little airplane appears to draw a perfectly horizontally straight white line in the sky, above the face of the Moon. Show is blowing off the mountain, adding a layer of translucent softness over the stern hardness of the exposed rocks.

So beautiful!

Ann
Color Commentator

William Young

Post by William Young » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 pm

Surely a gibbous moon would become a decrescent moon before becoming a new moon and then a crescent, i.e. waxing rather than waning, moon.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:55 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:47 am

The colors are so deep, yet muted. The intensely deep dark blue color of the night sky is amazing. The gibbous Moon reflects the light from the Sun but adds a yellowish tinge to it, because of the Moon's own dark reddish color. Therefore the moonlit snow on the mountain takes on an ever so slight pale sepia tint.
It's a waning gibbous Moon. Shot, I'd say, on 28 October 2018 at about 11am. So this is the daytime sky, and the snow is illuminated by the Sun, not the Moon.

(Of course, if you simply draw a line perpendicular to the lunar terminator, you can see it is pointing to a Sun that is above the horizon, not below it.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:25 pm

The moon is so photogenic. I love to image it this time of year as it rises further north.
IMG_6614.JPG
A friend was out with his new dog Sadie when he noticed last week's Moon-Venus in conjunction with a photobomber.
Moon Venus and Byron.jpeg
Unfortunately not all images portray the scene realistically as broadcasted on the weather. :facepalm:
Weather a.jpeg
Not quite sure how Venus ended up that close to our moon. :lol2:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:07 pm

GibbousMoon_Strand_960.jpg
Oh what a wonderful photo; kudos to the photograpger!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:15 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:55 pm
Ann wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:47 am

It's a waning gibbous Moon. Shot, I'd say, on 28 October 2018 at about 11am. So this is the daytime sky, and the snow is illuminated by the Sun, not the Moon.

(Of course, if you simply draw a line perpendicular to the lunar terminator, you can see it is pointing to a Sun that is above the horizon, not below it.)
Indeed, Chris. I thought the shadows on the snow were a bit funny if the illumination was coming from the Moon.

I guess I can only say that I love the picture anyway!

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:51 pm

William Young wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 pm Surely a gibbous moon would become a decrescent moon before becoming a new moon and then a crescent, i.e. waxing rather than waning, moon.
The caption says "That gibbous moon turned, in a few days, into a crescent moon", so, this is a waning gibbous moon in this image.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}