APOD: Nightlights in Qeqertaq (2023 Nov 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Nightlights in Qeqertaq (2023 Nov 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:06 am

Image Nightlights in Qeqertaq

Explanation: Light pollution is usually not a problem in Qeqertaq. In western Greenland the remote coastal village boasted a population of 114 in 2020. Lights still shine in its dark skies though. During planet Earth's recent intense geomagnetic storm, on November 6 these beautiful curtains of aurora borealis fell over the arctic realm. On the eve of the coming weeks of polar night at 70 degrees north latitude, the inspiring display of northern lights is reflected in the waters of Disko Bay. In this view from the isolated settlement a lone iceberg is illuminated by shore lights as it drifts across the icy sea.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
Last edited by bystander on Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: html error

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Nightlights in Qeqertaq (2023 Nov 17)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:54 pm

During the proton bombardment process of the solar storm to produce the "northern lights", the Earth's magnetic field is distorted with the consequence of generating radio frequencies that somehow become audio frequencies only audible to select people with abilities. special auditory abilities and this has always been known among the elders of the tribes that inhabited the Arctic area, they said that there was one or some who "heard" the spirits of the lights sing or speak on some occasions. Most people recognize frequencies between 400 and 14,000 hertz but there are some who receive from 20 to 20,000 hertz, they are the special ones who have their ears trained for it, it's a shame that as you get older the loss of selectivity capacity also disappears. auditory. although some elders preserve it and possibly some of the elders of those tribes listened to the "spirits". - (always to the best of my knowledge and belief)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:09 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:54 pm During the proton bombardment process of the solar storm to produce the "northern lights", the Earth's magnetic field is distorted with the consequence of generating radio frequencies that somehow become audio frequencies only audible to select people with abilities. special auditory abilities and this has always been known among the elders of the tribes that inhabited the Arctic area, they said that there was one or some who "heard" the spirits of the lights sing or speak on some occasions. Most people recognize frequencies between 400 and 14,000 hertz but there are some who receive from 20 to 20,000 hertz, they are the special ones who have their ears trained for it, it's a shame that as you get older the loss of selectivity capacity also disappears. auditory. although some elders preserve it and possibly some of the elders of those tribes listened to the "spirits". - (always to the best of my knowledge and belief)
It is unlikely that anybody has any special ability to hear these sounds. Electrophonic sound from meteors and from auroras is most likely caused by the induction of mechanical movement in electrical conductors near the observer. ELF radiation is typically well below 20 kHz, so many people are able to hear it once it is converted to sound. Typical conductors that are commonly present are jewelry, eyeglass frames, lawn furniture, BBQ grills, and garage doors. Low (a few tens of meters) atmospheric inversion layers can also create charge separation and possibly create electrophonic noise directly in the air.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

guest again

Post by guest again » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:37 pm

I watched the northern lights on a January night in 1983. They were yellow and green that night. Upon shutting off my snow machine and removing my helmet I was astounded to hear an accompanying whisssssshing sound as they danced across the northern sky. The display and accompanying sound was so incredible that I could not do anything but watch and listen until the cold set deeply in me. Awestruck I finally gave up, put on my helmet, stomped my boots to get circulation going harder, started my machine and went home. I haven't heard them since, but maybe I haven't been out in such perfect viewing conditions since then and I will never forget that sound or night.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:52 pm

lehtonen_dennisAuroraQeqertaq2_1200.jpg
Auroras are fantastic; but I'm happy to be far
away from them, so trhey don't make too much
light to keep me awake! :mrgreen: :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:22 am

thank you Chris