VLT/ALMA: A planet-forming disk beyond our Milky Way - An Astronomical Milestone

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

VLT/ALMA: A planet-forming disk beyond our Milky Way - An Astronomical Milestone

Post by AVAO » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:41 pm

Astronomers just discovered a planet-forming disk beyond our Milky Way for the 1st time — An Astronomical Milestone
www.physics-astronomy.com | 2023 Dez 01

Astronomers have achieved a significant milestone in space exploration by identifying, for the first time, a planet-forming disk around a young star in a galaxy outside our Milky Way.

This remarkable discovery, made in the Large Magellanic Cloud, a neighboring galaxy located 160,000 light-years away, sheds new light on the universal processes of star and planet formation, akin to those in our own galaxy. The system, known as HH 1177, is nestled within a vast gas cloud in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), the largest astronomical project on Earth comprising 66 antennas in Northern Chile, played a crucial role in this discovery. ALMA’s capabilities as a single radio telescope allowed for this unprecedented observation of celestial phenomena.
more

Scientific information:
Anna F. McLeod et al. A probable Keplerian disk feeding an optically revealed massive young star, arXiv (2023).

DOI: 10.48550/arXiv.2311.17217

TY4YA Jac

Ann
4725 Å

Re: VLT/ALMA: A planet-forming disk beyond our Milky Way - An Astronomical Milestone

Post by Ann » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:38 am

AVAO wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:41 pm Astronomers just discovered a planet-forming disk beyond our Milky Way for the 1st time — An Astronomical Milestone
www.physics-astronomy.com | 2023 Dez 01

Astronomers have achieved a significant milestone in space exploration by identifying, for the first time, a planet-forming disk around a young star in a galaxy outside our Milky Way.

This remarkable discovery, made in the Large Magellanic Cloud, a neighboring galaxy located 160,000 light-years away, sheds new light on the universal processes of star and planet formation, akin to those in our own galaxy. The system, known as HH 1177, is nestled within a vast gas cloud in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), the largest astronomical project on Earth comprising 66 antennas in Northern Chile, played a crucial role in this discovery. ALMA’s capabilities as a single radio telescope allowed for this unprecedented observation of celestial phenomena.
more

Scientific information:
Anna F. McLeod et al. A probable Keplerian disk feeding an optically revealed massive young star, arXiv (2023).

DOI: 10.48550/arXiv.2311.17217

TY4YA Jac

Very interesting, Jac!

I also find it notable that the massive protostar appears to be fed by a much larger disk of material. But the protoplanetary disk itself is rotating another way than the larger disk.

Protoplanetary disk in the LMC Anna F McLeod et al.png

This reminds me of the rotation of the Solar System vs. the rotation of the Milky Way:

Ann
Color Commentator

AVAO
Commander

Re: VLT/ALMA: A planet-forming disk beyond our Milky Way - An Astronomical Milestone

Post by AVAO » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:39 am

Ann wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:38 am
Very interesting, Jac!

I also find it notable that the massive protostar appears to be fed by a much larger disk of material. But the protoplanetary disk itself is rotating another way than the larger disk.

Protoplanetary disk in the LMC Anna F McLeod et al.

This reminds me of the rotation of the Solar System vs. the rotation of the Milky Way:

Ann
ThanX Ann

Interesting comparison.

Jac

Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
Original data: NASA/ESA (HERSCHEL/ALLWISE)

Credit: ESA(VLT/MUSE & infill HST)

Credit: ESA/NASA (VLT/MUSE & HST)
Last edited by AVAO on Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:48 am

AVAO wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:39 am
Looks like the (false color) red and blue structures that I thought were parts of a rotating disk may instead be jets emitted by the protostar!

Ann
Color Commentator

AVAO
Commander

Post by AVAO » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:09 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:48 am
Looks like the (false color) red and blue structures that I thought were parts of a rotating disk may instead be jets emitted by the protostar!

Ann
I think these show the jets, blue directed towards us and red away from us. Emotionally, I would have expected it to be exactly the opposite. And I think that the jets also rotate, but only very, very slowly..

Jac