APOD: Deep Nebulas: From Seagull to California (2024 Jan 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Deep Nebulas: From Seagull to California (2024 Jan 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:06 am

Image Deep Nebulas: From Seagull to California

Explanation: How well do you know the night sky? OK, but how well can you identify famous sky objects in a very deep image? Either way, here is a test: see if you can find some well-known night-sky icons in a deep image filled with faint nebulosity. This image contains the Pleiades star cluster, Barnard's Loop, Horsehead Nebula, Orion Nebula, Rosette Nebula, Cone Nebula, Rigel, Jellyfish Nebula, Monkey Head Nebula, Flaming Star Nebula, Tadpole Nebula, Aldebaran, Simeis 147, Seagull Nebula and the California Nebula. To find their real locations, here is an annotated image version. The reason this task might be difficult is similar to the reason it is initially hard to identify familiar constellations in a very dark sky: the tapestry of our night sky has an extremely deep hidden complexity. The featured composite reveals some of this complexity in a mosaic of 28 images taken over 800 hours from dark skies over Arizona, USA.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Deep Nebulas: From Seagull to California (2024 Jan 23)

Post by Ann » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:54 am

I'd love to comment on this image, but I have no time this morning! (Yes, it's morning here.)

But the annotated picture is really great, and I must commend the APOD editors for finding so many APODs highlighting the individual nebulas and clusters in this image! Go check out the links and compare them with the annotated image. Note: If you have trouble finding the Seagull Nebula, it's because it is very very tiny just peeking out of the lower left corner.

APOD 23 January 2024 detail.png
APOD 23 January 2024 detail.png (45.11 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

What, couldn't you find it? :wink:

Okay, gotta leave! Be back later, I hope.

Ann
Color Commentator

LeonidQ

Post by LeonidQ » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:52 am

Found a typo in annotations: AldebEran. :)

mister T
Ensign

Post by mister T » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:05 pm

Wow! Space is really big!

Roy

Post by Roy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:57 pm

As the British might say, what’s all this in aid of, then? Would you be able to identify them if a mosaic of 28 bearded Civil War generals were posted? If Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Forrest were not there, most people would have no clue.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Okay! This is a great APOD, but at the same time, it's really hard to make head or tails of some of the deep-sky objects here!

One thing that I absolutely love about this APOD is how it shows us that the nebulosities here seem to be connected and form huge shells!

APOD 23 January 2024 annotated.png

But I frankly can't identify all the nebulas here - in fact, not by a long shot! But let's take a look at some of the stars and nebulas and see what I think they are!

APOD 23 January 2024 detail annotated.png

As you can see, I tried to identify only parts of the APOD, and I wasn't able to identify all the nebulas at all. But let's look at some of the sights here:

👀 :D

Let's talk a little about the what the APOD really reveals to us. The photographer, Alistair Symon, is a master at bringing out even very faint red hydrogen alpha emission (even if it looks yellow in today's APOD). That's why we see so many nebulas in this APOD. Many of the nebulas here are so faint that they are very rarely photographed.

But Alistair Symon is showing us something else too, namely that long stretches of the Milky Way are not home to visible red nebulas or visible star formation. Take a look at this picture of the northern Milky Way:

What we can learn from this is that, while dust seems to be necessary to create the right conditions for star formation in the nearby universe, the presence of dust does not guarantee the presence of star formation at all. Long dust lanes can indeed be "sterile":

There is more than meets the eye in the parts of the Milky Way that are rich in gas and dust. But there are also parts of the Milky Way that appear as "barren" as a desert, or as barren as a dusty but non-starforming elliptical galaxy. Like NGC 1316.

So to summarize, galaxies are mysterious. Sometimes they rejuvenate themselves by birthing new stars, and sometimes they don't.

Ah yes, sometimes things happen and sometimes they don't. Completely off topic, here is a bonus video.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Ann
Color Commentator

C0ppert0p
Ensign

Post by C0ppert0p » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:35 am

In answer to the gentleman who wondered why.
Most of the people who look at APOD are interested in what's up there; the names of Nebulae and stars and what it would all look like, if you have eyes the size of dinner plates; could keep them open for a few hundred hours hours; see in specific transmission lines; collect photons with your retina; etc

Rauf
Science Officer

Post by Rauf » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 am

LeonidQ wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:52 am Found a typo in annotations: AldebEran. :)
But AldebAran is the right spelling..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldebaran wrote:The traditional name Aldebaran derives from the Arabic al Dabarān (الدبران), meaning 'the follower', because it seems to follow the Pleiades. In 2016, the International Astronomical Union Working Group on Star Names (WGSN) approved the proper name Aldebaran for this star.
I think it's pronounced Addabaran :)

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:28 am

Rauf wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 am
LeonidQ wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:52 am Found a typo in annotations: AldebEran. :)
But AldebAran is the right spelling..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldebaran wrote:The traditional name Aldebaran derives from the Arabic al Dabarān (الدبران), meaning 'the follower', because it seems to follow the Pleiades. In 2016, the International Astronomical Union Working Group on Star Names (WGSN) approved the proper name Aldebaran for this star.
I think it's pronounced Addabaran :)
Addaboy, Addabaran! :D

Ann
Color Commentator