APOD: Odysseus and The Dish (2024 Mar 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Odysseus and The Dish (2024 Mar 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:05 am

Image Odysseus and The Dish

Explanation: Murriyang, the CSIRO’s Parkes radio telescope points toward a nearly Full Moon in this image from New South Wales, Australia, planet Earth. Bathed in moonlight, the 64 meter dish is receiving weak radio signals from Odysseus, following the robotic lander's February 22 touch down some 300 kilometers north of the Moon's south pole. The landing of Odysseus represents the first U.S. landing on the Moon since the Apollo 17 mission in 1972. Odysseus' tilted orientation on the lunar surface prevents its high-gain antenna from pointing toward Earth. But the sensitivity of the large, steerable Parkes dish significantly improved the reception of data from the experiments delivered to the lunar surface by the robotic moon lander. Of course the Parkes Radio Telescope dish became famous for its superior lunar television reception during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969, allowing denizens of planet Earth to watch the first moonwalk.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

pinguwin

Re: APOD: Odysseus and The Dish (2024 Mar 01)

Post by pinguwin » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:42 pm

I spent seven months traveling in Australia, I made a point out of visiting CSIRO. Very impressive to see the dishes. So if you're visiting and have the time, go have a look.

I also saw the Wolfe Creek meteor crater (from land and the air) as well as the Henbury Craters. Wanted to visit the Gosses Bluff impact site but that wasn't accessible due to flooding (which doesn't happen a lot in Australia but when it does...it's bad).

Also visited the Mount Stromlo observatory and it burned down a few years later...unfortunately, that happens a lot in Australia and is often bad.

Roy

Post by Roy » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:43 pm

Engineering got it there intact. It’s a shame it fell down.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:59 pm

pinguwin wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:42 pm I spent seven months traveling in Australia, I made a point out of visiting CSIRO. Very impressive to see the dishes. So if you're visiting and have the time, go have a look.

I also saw the Wolfe Creek meteor crater (from land and the air) as well as the Henbury Craters. Wanted to visit the Gosses Bluff impact site but that wasn't accessible due to flooding (which doesn't happen a lot in Australia but when it does...it's bad).

Also visited the Mount Stromlo observatory and it burned down a few years later...unfortunately, that happens a lot in Australia and is often bad.
Trivia: there's a "Wolf Creek" horror movie from 2003, where the crater makes a brief appearance. Despite the lack of the trailing "e", it's the same crater. Not sure if the spelling change was deliberate or not though. I thought it was a very effective - and gruesome! - horror movie.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_Cre ... references

And https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416315/reviews/
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}