Colors of Twilight vs. Sunset/Sunrise

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Peter87
Asternaut

Re: Colors of Twilight vs. Sunset/Sunrise

Post by Peter87 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:01 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 am All I can say is that purple light triggers a response from both the blue-sensitive and the red-sensitive rods in our retinas. Consider this color, ███. The (rgb) values of this particular color is, r = 123, g = 0, and b = 222. So purple, at least as far as our eyes are concerned, is indeed a mixture of red and blue.

I can see that the mixture of red and blue light in the sky under certain circumstances will make parts of even in the cloudless dawn or dusk sky look purple (because the atmosphere itself will reflect light and provide some mixing of the colors). I know I have seen clouds reflecting the dawn or dusk light look purple (but mixed with other colors as well).

Ann

Ann, that’s very interesting to see the purple color with rgb values of r = 123, g = 0, and b = 222. The b = 222 is a high value -- approaching the maximum 255.

I am wondering how to describe the blue in the upper atmosphere behind the purple clouds in the first photo. It looks as if it is during blue hour. Do you think blue rgb values of blue hour would be lower than 222?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:53 pm

Peter87 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:01 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 am All I can say is that purple light triggers a response from both the blue-sensitive and the red-sensitive rods in our retinas. Consider this color, ███. The (rgb) values of this particular color is, r = 123, g = 0, and b = 222. So purple, at least as far as our eyes are concerned, is indeed a mixture of red and blue.

I can see that the mixture of red and blue light in the sky under certain circumstances will make parts of even in the cloudless dawn or dusk sky look purple (because the atmosphere itself will reflect light and provide some mixing of the colors). I know I have seen clouds reflecting the dawn or dusk light look purple (but mixed with other colors as well).

Ann

Ann, that’s very interesting to see the purple color with rgb values of r = 123, g = 0, and b = 222. The b = 222 is a high value -- approaching the maximum 255.

I am wondering how to describe the blue in the upper atmosphere behind the purple clouds in the first photo. It looks as if it is during blue hour. Do you think blue rgb values of blue hour would be lower than 222?
I'm not sure that the picture taken by Eiji Ogura was taken during the blue hour. It might have been. I think it is more likely that the other picture was. The clouds reflected the colors of the reddened Sun after it had sunk below the horizon.

Wikipedia shows us this cloudless picture of the blue hour:

My guess is that the b value of the sky during the blue hour would be 255.

I found an interesting chart showing the hues, hex codes and rgb values for several shades of purple. There is always more b than r in all these shades of purple, and the b value is at or close to 255 in all the shades of purple except the darkest ones.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm

Ann wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 pm
Ann wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris, I didn't think of that! :D 🐐

That's a lovely goat, by the way. What's her name? She looks very feminine to me! :D 👱🏾‍♀️

Ann
Gretel. She'll be kidding in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for teaching me a new word, Chris! I only knew one meaning of the word "kidding".

I'm sure Gretel's kids will be adorable!

Ann
PXL_20240419_165020635p.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm
Ann wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 pm

Gretel. She'll be kidding in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for teaching me a new word, Chris! I only knew one meaning of the word "kidding".

I'm sure Gretel's kids will be adorable!

Ann

Oh no no no, I can't stand the cuteness of this baby! 🥰 😍 ❤️ Is the little one a boy or a girl?

Couldn't find a good goat emoji, so I guess a unicorn is the closest thing! :D 🦄

Ann
Color Commentator