Submissions: 2024 April

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
@nightskysofia

Re: Submissions: 2024 April

Post by @nightskysofia » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 am

I'm sorry about the flooding, in the last post I didn't attach the image correctly. Now it is correct.

Total Solar Eclipse and the Adirondacks
A total solar eclipse is a life changing event. Hiking 2 miles in the snow with all photography equipment just to have a view of the Adirondacks' High Peaks on April 8th, 2024 was truly a bold and wise choice. As it is seen, the composition of the Mount Van Hoevenberg and the High Peaks located in Lake Placid, NY, with the totality - also showing a bright Venus and a redish horizon, as if there was a sunset wherever one looked at - was absolutely breathtaking and made every step of the trail worth. I came all the way from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, just to witness a total solar eclipse and take the photo I have always dreamed of.

This photo was taken with a Sony A7 II camera, a 24-240 lens at 24mm and a tripod. It is a HDR image, with photos ranging from 0,25 to 15 seconds of exposure. The location is the Balanced Rocks at Pitchoff Mountain, in Lake Placid.

Credit: Sofia Fonseca @nightskysofia

amarando
Asternaut

Post by amarando » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:03 am

Total Solar Eclipse 2024
https://www.astrobin.com/t2riof/
Copyright: Ashley Marando
Last edited by amarando on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilipeGomes
Asternaut

Post by PhilipeGomes » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:19 am

Close Picture: Full Picture: Trifid Nebula

I lost my father 3 years ago due to the Covid epidemic, we looked at the sky whenever we could, he taught me to be curious and interested in science. Due to his absence and the great void in my heart, I decided to buy a telescope to somehow be close to him and his memories. I've been doing amateur astrography for 2 years, I have a small telescope with the exquisitely made mirror of a Brazilian ATM. I continue to make continuous improvements to the telescope, from collimation to unobstructing the mirrors. I have already made improvements to the assembly to have the best possible stability and achieved this result. Hope you like it.

it's up to you to crop the image however you prefer.

EQUIPMENT:
Telescope 114/900 home made
SvBony Sv405cc, Gain 120, OffSet 30, 10⁰C
Mount Exos-2 with OnStep Brasil
Frames 38X180s, 30 darks, 20 flats and 20 bias
Guide sv106 and 905c
Date Abril 07, 2024

PROCESSING AND CAPTURE:
NINA, Phd2, Siril, PixInsight and LightRoom
Last edited by PhilipeGomes on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

maxifalieres
Ensign

Post by maxifalieres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:54 am

Hi! i'm Sharing this picture of the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy, taken last weekend on the Cielos Albertinos Observatory. Is an incredible galaxy to watch with telescopes and cameras, located on the Hydra Constelation at 15 millions light years from us.

I hope that you like it!

A close up:

M83 - Southern Pinwheel Galaxy

by Maximiliano Falieres, en Flickr

Full image:

M83 - Southern Pinwheel Galaxy
by Maximiliano Falieres, en Flickr

astrodarks
Asternaut

Post by astrodarks » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:52 am

Totality is one mesmerizing moment. But even before it begins, another phenomenon dazzles the sky. Bailey's beads

Shortly after the diamond ring emerges in a total solar eclipse, it disintegrates into points of light called Bailey’s beads, created by sunlight passing through valleys on the Moon's edge. These beads vanish one by one as the Moon progresses, marking the onset of the total eclipse phase.

Captured with Nikon D7200 with a William Optics Redcat51 refractor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/devesh_pa ... ed-public/

max.nti
Asternaut

Post by max.nti » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:54 am

Reflected Gems of the Zodiac

https://www.instagram.com/max.nti/
Copyright: Max Inwood
Taken: 20 March 2024

For us in the Southern Hemisphere, the zodiacal light is best seen in the morning sky during the March equinox. This image was captured just before dawn, so the zodiacal light was prominent in the sky.
Along the zodiac path are the iconic zodiac constellations (aka star signs), as well as the red planet Mars.

Higher resolution: https://www.flickr.com/photos/199702830 ... ool-apods/
Annotated: https://www.flickr.com/photos/199702830 ... ool-apods/

andrea_girones
Ensign

Post by andrea_girones » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:37 am

The Sparkling Sky
The skies over Lac Megantic Quebec were clear on eclipse morning. The small village had organized a live stream by the waterfront of the eclipse events at the Mt. Megantic Observatory, seen here in the distance.

A cool crisp day with spring snow still on the ground, when the majestic moon shadow arrived we really felt the temperature drop! The villagers and visitors alike cheered and celebrated the joyous event on the shores of the sparkling lake.

This composite of several images taken over 2 hours shows the path of the sun and moon as they descended towards the frozen lake. Shooting more quickly at totality I even caught a mini diamond ring.

Shot with my 20 year old NIkon D7000 and kit lens at 18mm.
ImageThe sparkling sky on eclipse day by Andrea Girones, on Flickr

vanamonde81
Science Officer

Post by vanamonde81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:15 pm

The Final Moment
Copyright: György Soponyai
I observed and photographed the total Solar eclipse of 2024. from Montréal, at the shore of Saint Lawrence River. This photo was taken at the final moment of the 96-second-long totality, when the Sun shone through the deepest part of the Lunar limb.

2024-04-08, Montréal, Canada
Canon RP + Tamron EF 150-600 @600mm
1/800 sec, f/11, ISO400

Naztronomy
Ensign

Post by Naztronomy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:45 pm

April 8, 2024 Totality In HDR
https://www.Naztronomy.com
Copyright: Nazmus Nasir
Totality_HDR_md.png
Higher resolution available on demand.

Captured with a small refractor telescope and DSLR, this is a combination of 12 exposures ranging from 1/2000s to 1s combined using the Pellet method. Several prominences visible to the naked eye can be seen in the photo. The corona is fairly close to what we were able to see with our eyes.

Paulee97
Ensign
AKA: Paulee

Post by Paulee97 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:55 pm

Astronomer's Dream House

Astronomer's Dream House,
Pavel Váňa

Imagine having a possibility to spend some time as an amateur astronomer at some place with beautiful nature and natural night sky. Where would it be? For me it would be this house at La Palma island.
During the day, it is a lovely place surrounded by lizards that are trying to catch every single ray of light coming from the sun. After the sun set everything is calming down and the true show is about to begin.
You are starting to see first stars, planets... After some time you can see beautiful Milky Way arc and bright pillar of the light - The Zodiacal light. But when you adapt to the night, you notice, that the sky is not that dark as you have imagined... It is because of the fact that it glows naturally because of the recombination of the atoms of oxygen and nitrogen.
This is a cut from the full sky mozaic made from 34 single shots with 15 s exposure time. Canon EOS 6D was used with ISO 5000. Sigma Art 24 mm f/1.4@3.2 lens was also used.

photojhh
Asternaut

Post by photojhh » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:13 pm

Diamond in the Clouds
Copyright: John H. Harms (photojhh@gmail.com) From Oak Point Park In Richardson, TX, it was fairly cloudy for the April 8, 2024 eclipse. We had about 20 seconds of *visible* totality out of the 3 min 28 seconds that the Sun and Moon offered to our location. Fortunately, one of those seconds displayed an awesome Diamond Ring amid the clouds!

Full-resolution version here: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/536 ... 9f_o_d.jpg

Technical Details:
• Camera: Canon 650D DSLR
• Lens: Canon EF300mm f/4L IS USM (480mm equivalent with APS-C sensor)
• ISO 100, f/8, 1/15 sec
• Time - April 8, 2024 - 1:44:58 PM
Last edited by photojhh on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

amarando
Asternaut

Post by amarando » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:31 pm

Total Solar Eclipse 2024
https://www.astrobin.com/tliuvp/
Copyright: Ashley Marando

Rafeee
Ensign

Post by Rafeee » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:25 pm

The comet and the observatory
2024_04_07_001078_2048px.jpg
Copyright: Rafael Schmall
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Rafeee/

12P Pons-Brooks-Jupiter and the observatory

After a gloomy month and a half, I finally got a chance to photograph the comet. Since there are no mountains and no normal transparency (Jupiter has a party), I immediately thought of some kind of astro-landscape. We came up with the idea of ​​a cozy observatory forecourt, where the telescope "warming up" for the night.

After some packing back and forth, I had a good composition, although my Star Adventurer broke down, so I photographed this celestial couple with the observatory with the good old Fornax 10.

I used both flats and darks for the recording. The sky is also an average of 10 images, the foreground is also an average of 10 images, 10 flat and 10 dark were still needed.

Image Details:
Equipment: Canon EOS6D, Rokinon 135mm f/2, Fornax 10
Exif data: 20x30sec, ISO1600, f2.8

Location: Hungary, Zselic Starry Sky Park, Zselic Park of Stars

Rafeee
Ensign

Post by Rafeee » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:28 pm

Venus-Pleiades conjuction
2024_04_11_Moon_Light_032_m_2048px.jpg
Copyright: Rafael Schmall
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Rafeee/

On spring evenings, the Moon passes around spectacular objects. The Moon can be in conjunction with a planet, a brighter constellation, or even a comet.

On April 11, 2024, the long-awaited conjunction was a Moon-Pleiades conjunction, where the Moon in its 12% phase was not so disturbing, so you could see the celestial pair well even with the naked eye.

The shot was taken with a 135mm telephoto lens and a Canon EOS1100D, where the system had to "see through a tree". It is true that there is a shot taken completely under the open sky, but still this silhouette photo is perhaps more interesting and unusual.

Image Details:
Equipment: Canon EOS1100D, Rokinon 135mm f/2, SW HEQ5
Exif data: 60sec, ISO100, f2.8

Ayiomamitis
Science Officer

Post by Ayiomamitis » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:46 pm

Octagonal Astrolabe (1592 AD)
http://www.perseus.gr
Copyright: Anthony Ayiomamitis
astronomical-clocks-dublin-nmi-astrolabe-2024.jpg

A trip to Dublin, Ireland last week and whose primary purpose was to capture the rare octagonal astrolabe made in 1592 AD and on display at the National Maritime Museum of Ireland. Further details at https://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Astronomic ... -2024.html .

Persian Astrolabe (1708-1709 AD)
Copyright: Anthony Ayiomamitis
astronomical-clocks-dublin-cbl-astrolabe-2024.jpg

The second catch of the day was the equally impressive Persian astrolabe at the Chester Beatty Library and Museum also in Dublin. Further details at https://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Astronomic ... -2024.html .
Anthony Ayiomamitis

StalePhish
Asternaut

Post by StalePhish » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:13 am

Total Solar Eclipse Progression over Plattsburgh, New York
Copyright: Chris Andrews We traveled to Plattsburgh, New York and set up at Plattsburgh City Beach, where it turns out they were having a huge viewing party complete with a stage with live music and food trucks. Shortly before totality, it went from long-sleeved t-shirt weather to winter coat weather. The birds returned from over the lake and were circling in odd patterns as the horizon in every direction became a 360 degree sunset. The crowd went wild!

Photos shot on a Nikon P950 @ 2000mm at regular intervals using a ND1000000 solar filter and no filter for totality. Composited onto one image for your viewing pleasure. Partial phases through the filter appeared white and were color-adjusted using the color levels from photos shot on our Canon SX730.

Robservatory
Ensign

Post by Robservatory » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:36 pm

The Rosette Nebula and NGC 2244

The Rosette nebula and NGC 2244 in the constellation Monoceros. Imaged over three nights in early Feb(4,9, 12) 2024 with my Sky-Watcher Quattro 150p at F3, ASI183MM Pro, and Antlia 3nm Pro SHO filters from Bortle 9 Vancouver.

Joel17
Ensign

Post by Joel17 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:17 pm

The total solar eclipse of the 8th April 2024 has been followed by millions of people along its path in the US.
The weather was perfect in middle Arkansas where the totality lasted a little more than 4 minutes.

ImageThe corona by Joel Klinger, sur Flickr

A total solar eclipse is indeed a rare – and very short – moment allowing to see with the naked eye the external atmosphere of the Sun (the corona) as well as mass ejections throwing sun matter into space.

The corona is constantly interacting with the strong magnetic field of the Sun. While mixing enough different exposures during the totality, it is possible to make appear the magnetic impact of the Sun on its corona – this showing here with all these patterns, curving strong or going straight, depending on how the corona reacts to the magnetic field.

The mass ejections thrown away by the Sun appear red/pink. These ejections are also caused by the magnetic field of the Sun which provides enough energy to make ejections very much larger than the Earth. At the beginning of the eclipse of the 8th April, some could be seen at the left and at the top of the Sun.

Date: 08th April 2024

Nikon D610 Astrodon + Sigma 100-400mm
400mm, f/8, 14 exposures from 1/4000s to 2s, ISO100

isultan
Ensign

Post by isultan » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:17 pm

I had the amazing experience of watching the April 8th solar eclipse from the pristine skies of Maine. To capture the high dynamic range of the solar corona, I photographed totality at many different exposures using a DSLR camera and refractor telescope.

In the left panel I stacked the exposures to approximate how totality appeared to me.

The right panel shows a different processing of my images I did that brings out the small and large scale coronal structure (using the Pellett method). I overlaid the lunar disk from my longest exposure, which shows lunar details illuminated by earthshine.

Individual panels: https://flic.kr/p/2pJRc5M, https://flic.kr/p/2pJJW6y

Date: April 8, 2024
Software: CaptureEclipse, Adobe Photoshop
Copyright: Imran Sultan

andrea_girones
Ensign

Post by andrea_girones » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:44 am

The Solar Maximum Corona
A mysterious solar veil

The corona at every solar eclipse is different, and also depends on where we are in the solar cycle. Since we are approaching solar maximum in 2024, the corona extends all around the Sun. If you look at corona images from a solar eclipse that occurred at solar minimum such as in 2017, the coronal activity is not evenly distributed around the disk.

People often ask “what is the corona?” The Corona is the veil of wispy solar plasma that surrounds the sun in the highest (and hottest) part of its atmosphere. It is faint and therefore extremely difficult to see and study without that handy moon blocking the bright solar disk.

If you were sitting around a warm campfire, the further away you sat from the fire, the colder you would feel. Not so with the sun. In fact that outer veil is 10x hotter than the sun’s surface, also called the photosphere. Scientists do not understand why the Solar Corona is so incredibly hot compared the solar surface. It is one of the many secrets the sun keeps from us.

This is an HDR blend of several different length exposure to tease out the faint bit of the wispy veil. Shot with a 62mm telescope and Nickon D750 on April 8 2024

Blended as a mean stack in Photoshop.
The Earthshine moon is visible in the very brightest exposures

ImageThe Solar Maximum Corona by Andrea Girones, on Flickr

astrodarks
Asternaut

Post by astrodarks » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:29 am

Here are the marvelous Bailys beads before second contact,C2, and after the third contact C3. What's seen between them is totality!

Shortly after the diamond ring emerges in a total solar eclipse, it disintegrates into points of light called Baily’s beads, created by sunlight passing through valleys on the Moon's edge. These beads vanish one by one as the Moon progresses, marking the onset of the total eclipse phase.

Captured with a Nikon D7200 and a William optics RedCat 51!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/devesh_pa ... ool-apods/

Thank You,
Devesh Pande
AstroDarks

fabriciobs
Asternaut

Post by fabriciobs » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:52 am

ImageEclipse Prelude: a Ring of Light through the Veil of Clouds by FabricioBS, no Flickr

After a year of careful planning and traveling more than eight thousand kilometers from Brazil to Texas with my family to witness the total eclipse, we were met with an unfavorable weather. As our plane descended, a thick blanket of clouds did not seem to be possible to disperse. Adapting our plans, we headed north, hoping to exchange a shorter duration of totality for a higher chance of clear skies. In the moments leading up to totality, the eclipse’s diamond ring shone through the thin veil of clouds, a prelude to the celestial spectacle.

Robservatory
Ensign

Post by Robservatory » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:26 pm

Cave of Wonder

This is an image from within a sea cave at Pettinger Point in Tofino, British Columbia, on the west coast of Vancouver Island. The sea is mighty here, making it a popular surfing spot and also a dangerous place to photograph at night. I made this image by shooting the cave at sunset and climbing the rocks above it to capture the Milky Way. Because the tide comes in at night, a composite is the only way to see this magical view safely. I imaged with a modified Sony A7R, 20mm F/1.8 lens, and a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer to track the stars. Shot in July of 2023 and processed in March of 2024.

underaclearsky
Asternaut

Post by underaclearsky » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:28 pm

Near the end of totality.

Image taken near the end of totality during the April 8th 2024 total solar eclipse. 1/4000 sec exposure using a 122mm Triplet Apo and a Canon M50 II camera at ISO 200. Single shot, no stack, just a little bit of post processing. See the link below to access the complete image uncropped.

Cropped image :

Complete image here :
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/536 ... 50c9_o.jpg

Animation here :
https://youtu.be/CvE5XrbuM2g?si=M9R_SoCFVjLO41EE

Frederic
Qc, Canada
Last edited by underaclearsky on Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

clillo
Ensign

Post by clillo » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 pm

A 1/2000 single exposure from Texas during the total eclipse. Clouds cleared just moment later! Nikon Z6ii no filter, 400mm telescope for a lens.