APOD: Eclipse in Seven (2024 Apr 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Eclipse in Seven (2024 Apr 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:06 am

Image Eclipse in Seven

Explanation: Start at the upper left above and you can follow the progress of April 8's total eclipse of the Sun in seven sharp, separate exposures. The image sequence was recorded with a telescope and camera located within the narrow path of totality as the Moon's shadow swept across Newport, Vermont, USA. At center is a spectacular view of the solar corona. The tenuous outer atmosphere of the Sun is only easily visible to the eye in clear dark skies during the total eclipse phase. Seen from Newport, the total phase for this solar eclipse lasted about 3 minutes and 26 seconds.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

abgbpb00

Re: APOD: Eclipse in Seven (2024 Apr 11)

Post by abgbpb00 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:59 pm

I'm interested if anyone captured a picture of the Pons-Brooks comet during the eclipse?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:02 pm

abgbpb00 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:59 pm I'm interested if anyone captured a picture of the Pons-Brooks comet during the eclipse?
I had a camera set up covering the area, but don't see it in the images. I also looked for it with binoculars at totality and didn't see it visually.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

CherelynR@gmail.com

Post by CherelynR@gmail.com » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:43 pm

I was in Indianapolis for totality. Is it possible I saw Comet Pons-Brooks for a short time during totality at about 5 o'clock to the sun with the tail streaming downward and to the right? Or did I imagine it? Would the positioning be accurate for that location? Also, it was several times the diameter of the sun in length. Would that be right? Did anyone get any long duration camera shots showing the comet?

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm

What's the time separation of the photos here: 30 - 40 seconds or so? Also, there's the slightest hint of a pink prominence at 6 o'clock. Why can't we see more of it?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:42 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm What's the time separation of the photos here: 30 - 40 seconds or so? Also, there's the slightest hint of a pink prominence at 6 o'clock. Why can't we see more of it?
I'd say 20 minutes between each image. The prominences are washed out by the corona close to the Sun. To capture both them and the corona requires some kind of HDR processing, which doesn't seem to have been used here for the totality image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:45 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:42 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm What's the time separation of the photos here: 30 - 40 seconds or so? Also, there's the slightest hint of a pink prominence at 6 o'clock. Why can't we see more of it?
I'd say 20 minutes between each image. The prominences are washed out by the corona close to the Sun. To capture both them and the corona requires some kind of HDR processing, which doesn't seem to have been used here for the totality image.
Thanks. For some dumb reason, I was mistakenly thinking that the duration of "totality" represented the time from first contact of the Moon's shadow with the Sun to the last!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

florid_snow
Ensign

Post by florid_snow » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:44 am

I was also near Indianapolis, the thin cirrus blanketing the entire multi-state area made comet viewing likelihood near zero. The comet's position was about at 10 o'clock with respect to the sun from that location. Venus was bright, Jupiter was visible, and the prominences and corona were still stunning! Also the 360 degree sunset view around the horizon was especially good because of the cirrus, I think. Hope y'all had a great view too.