the Shrinking of the Anarctic Ice cap

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Gemini84
Asternaut

the Shrinking of the Anarctic Ice cap

Post by Gemini84 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:47 pm

This particular subject really interest me, because it is an example of Global Warming. It worries me that the ice cap is melting at a rapid speed. :( I watched a segment on Global Warming on the Oprah Winfry show. They talked about how dangerous the effects could be without human intervention. This is something everyone should take very seriously, cause it falls back on the next generation. In my tribe's belief, the earth is the foundation of life, without it we would not exist. So to us it is very important that we take care of Mother nature. We have failed our beliefs and are now suffering the consequences of our acts. I still have hope that we can do something about the problem, if everyone is willing. :)

craterchains
Commander

Re: the Shrinking of the Anarctic Ice cap

Post by craterchains » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:59 pm

Gemini84 wrote: We have failed our beliefs and are now suffering the consequences of our acts.
We? Maybe YOU have. :roll:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:10 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_ ... ng_sea_ice

Here is an interesting article from the associated press on this subject.

Sowndbyte
Ensign

global warming

Post by Sowndbyte » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 pm

interesting article there Bmaone. that article states explicitly that we are responsible for global warming.
I do not say we are not responsible for it all, but we do contribute to the
CURRENT episode. In fact we know that the Earth has warmed and cooled throughout her history. I prefer to think that Natural processes are in effect also. as an example I recently learned that the earths magnetic field has diminished ten percent over the last century! this is a necessary step for the Earths magnetism to reverse itself, as it has been proven to do every 100,000 years. as this field diminishes and heads towards the 'zero point' of reversal more radiation from the sun is allowed to enter the Earths atmosphere,thus creating 'Global warming'
Man's influence is not to be minimised, as our 26 billion tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere annually, are at least a X percentage of contribution. but as we all know the forces of Nature are much more powerful then Man.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:50 pm

Sowndbyte,
At that you are right, nature is more powerful and over that we have no control but, There is no telling just how much warming is caused by natural processes. Man unquestionably contributes though. But to what extent? It is interesting though that we consider ourselves to be the most intelligent species on the planet and yet, knowing that we contribute to a problematic situation, still elect to do nothing to mitigate/eliminate our contribution.
(So, if we have our collective head buried in the sand are we really THAT smart?)

astro_uk
Science Officer

Post by astro_uk » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:26 am

Hi all

Nature of course is playing some part in the amount of C02 in the atmosphere, we are after all in an interglacial period right now, however man is definitely the primary party at the moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5314592.stm

This study shows that the increase in C02 in the last 17 years equals the largest increase ever recorded and that was over 1000 years.
The "scary thing", he added, was the rate of change now occurring in CO2 concentrations. In the core, the fastest increase seen was of the order of 30 parts per million (ppm) by volume over a period of roughly 1,000 years.

"The last 30 ppm of increase has occurred in just 17 years. We really are in the situation where we don't have an analogue in our records," he said.
To quote Bender, "We are royally boned".

A point about the magnetic field reversal however, this surely has no impact on world temperatures, the vast majority of radiation from the Sun comes as em waves (light) and is unaffected by magnetic fields. The rest which arrives as charged particles (electrons/protons/helium nuclei) is not repelled by the fields it is merely funnelled to the poles, where it forms aurorae. So the same amount of energy is dumped on the Earth regardless, the only difference is that the charged particles will be spread over a larger area as the field diminishes. This may well have an impact in certain repects, it is thought that charged particles in the upper atmosphere seed cloud formation, which itself leads to cooling of the atmosphere. However this effect is likely to be entirely negligible.

Gemini84
Asternaut

Post by Gemini84 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:46 pm

craterchains wrote:
Gemini84 wrote: We have failed our beliefs and are now suffering the consequences of our acts.
We? Maybe YOU have. :roll:

Norval

We as in WE Humans, have failed to take care of the home, the Great Creator (God) had provided for us.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:50 pm

We? Speak for yourself. Most humans I know are appaled at what "they" are doing and blaming it on us. :twisted:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Forest fires don't help any either. They add to the CO2 problem; where as vegetation reduces the CO2 content of the atmosphere.
Orin

poppop
Asternaut

Post by poppop » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Gemini84 wrote:This particular subject really interest me, because it is an example of Global Warming. It worries me that the ice cap is melting at a rapid speed. :( I watched a segment on Global Warming on the Oprah Winfry show. They talked about how dangerous the effects could be without human intervention. This is something everyone should take very seriously, cause it falls back on the next generation. In my tribe's belief, the earth is the foundation of life, without it we would not exist. So to us it is very important that we take care of Mother nature. We have failed our beliefs and are now suffering the consequences of our acts. I still have hope that we can do something about the problem, if everyone is willing. :)
I think I have found a dead subject or website, referring to the dates of these comments. Any-who.....
Global Warming, natural or caused by greenhouse gases??????
the greenhouse advocates believe that stopping same will fix it
if the cause is natural, could it be fixed?\

are coastal cities to be submerged in any case???
if so ,we need to head to the mountains--- ASAP
if not US maybe future generations??
how long does it take to move everyone to the mountains???????
not many choices-----huh??????? :roll:
godonlyknows

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:23 am

I find it most interesting that independent research shows that the oceans are slowly receding while at the same time there are atmospheric anomalies that indicate allot more water is being held in our atmosphere.

Norval

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:50 pm

, , , and a bit of the arctic ice is going away too.

Take a look at this one.