Sputnik Beeps Again

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Sputnik Beeps Again

Post by bystander » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Beeps Cease, Then Resume; Cause Unknown
  • Sputnik Beeps Again; Signal Deemed Unintelligible

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Re: Sputnik Beeps Again

Post by apodman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 pm

http://www.seva.net/vascarg/newspaper/sputnik40.html

---

So Sputnik beeped to irritate the world as the world tried to listen to its radios, so all the world would know the Soviets had achieved orbit. That was 1957. In 1958, the popular song Beep Beep (a.k.a. The Little Nash Rambler) was released - novelty tune or political commentary?

mishkin
Ensign
AKA: Sputnick

Post by mishkin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:11 pm

apodman wrote:http://www.seva.net/vascarg/newspaper/sputnik40.html

---

So Sputnik beeped to irritate the world as the world tried to listen to its radios, so all the world would know the Soviets had achieved orbit. That was 1957. In 1958, the popular song Beep Beep (a.k.a. The Little Nash Rambler) was released - novelty tune or political commentary?
So wrong you are. Sputnik beeps not to irritate the world, simply to announce the Russians and Soviets were not simple minded potato farmers drunk all the time on vodka as was the propaganda. We too had our high culture, For instance, "I'm a ramblin' man" was a popular folk song for hundreds of years on our Steppes, then was it said by Nashville to have been written in the U.S.A. And of course your Nash Rambler was a simple copy of our Lada, but not long on endurance. Beep Beep.
Thinking is an improvement over not thinking sometimes. Sing with the Moody Blues on the wild and beautiful Steppes, and then the cossak fling .. then jump in the ice littered Arctic Ocean warmed by the Gulf Stream! miskinzabrovnietz@gmail.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm

mishkin wrote:So wrong you are. Sputnik beeps not to irritate the world, simply to announce the Russians and Soviets were not simple minded potato farmers drunk all the time on vodka as was the propaganda. We too had our high culture, For instance, "I'm a ramblin' man" was a popular folk song for hundreds of years on our Steppes, then was it said by Nashville to have been written in the U.S.A. And of course your Nash Rambler was a simple copy of our Lada, but not long on endurance. Beep Beep.
Yeah, we all know the US can't produce anything on its own. Case in point, the Nash Rambler, predecessor to the Rambler American was produced in the US between 1950 and 1957. Rambler became a marque name of AMC, a merger of Nash and Hudson, in 1958.

The original Lada, VAZ-2101, produced in the 1970's, was a locally produced version of the Fiat 124. :roll:

What most people think of as the Nash Rambler is the Nash Metropolitan, 1953-1962, later sold under its own marque as a part of AMC.

mishkin
Ensign

Post by mishkin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:22 pm

bystander wrote:
mishkin wrote:So wrong you are. Sputnik beeps not to irritate the world, simply to announce the Russians and Soviets were not simple minded potato farmers drunk all the time on vodka as was the propaganda. We too had our high culture, For instance, "I'm a ramblin' man" was a popular folk song for hundreds of years on our Steppes, then was it said by Nashville to have been written in the U.S.A. And of course your Nash Rambler was a simple copy of our Lada, but not long on endurance. Beep Beep.
Yeah, we all know the US can't produce anything on its own. Case in point, the Nash Rambler, predecessor to the Rambler American was produced in the US between 1950 and 1957. Rambler became a marque name of AMC, a merger of Nash and Hudson, in 1958.

The original Lada, VAZ-2101, produced in the 1970's, was a locally produced version of the Fiat 124. :roll:

What most people think of as the Nash Rambler is the Nash Metropolitan, 1953-1962, later sold under its own marque as a part of AMC.
Yes of course you accept the western model while even it on the U.S. controlled internet is questioned
Lada
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada
Jump to: navigation, search
Lada
Manufacturer AvtoVAZ
Production 1970-present
For other uses, see Lada (disambiguation).
This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references.

This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2007)
The neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved. (October 2008)

But is no matter, do Lada or Nashes orbit our earth and explore the planets? Nyet! So why we should discuss such earthbound questions when space beckons! Upward .. Upward .. even to beyond the stars.
Thinking is an improvement over not thinking sometimes. Sing with the Moody Blues on the wild and beautiful Steppes, and then the cossak fling .. then jump in the ice littered Arctic Ocean warmed by the Gulf Stream! miskinzabrovnietz@gmail.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:49 pm

mishkin wrote:From Wikipedia ... Please see the discussion on the talk page ...
Automotive History Online: AvtoVAZ wrote:AvtoVAZ ... is a Russian automobile manufacturer, also known as VAZ, Volzhsky Automobilny Zavod (ВАЗ, ... ), and better known to the world as Lada was set up in the late 1960s in collaboration with Fiat.
The variations of their first car, the model VAZ-2101, based on the 1966 Fiat 124 and introduced in 1970, are still the cars most associated with its Lada brand.

The original Lada is often thought of as a 'rugged' car, lacking in most modern luxuries expected in modern cars. While sanctions banned their export to the United States, Ladas were available in several Western countries during the 1970's and 1980s, including Canada and the United Kingdom.
In the domestic market, these classic models were called Zhiguli. The Lada name was used for exports only, but a large share of Ladas was reexported from Eastern block countries, so the brand was well-known in the domestic market as well.
But I'm curious, why is a Canadian from Ottawa pretending to be a Russian. Where's your patriotism.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 pm

bystander wrote:But I'm curious, why is a Canadian from Ottawa pretending to be a Russian. Where's your patriotism.
The money shot

K Ching
Always trying to find the answers

mishkin
Ensign

Post by mishkin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:34 pm

bystander wrote: But I'm curious, why is a Canadian from Ottawa pretending to be a Russian. Where's your patriotism.
Understand I not your question. Perhaps you write it me in Russian?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:13 pm

mishkin wrote:Understand I not your question. Perhaps you write it me in Russian?
Но я любознательон, почему чанадец от Оттава претендуя быть русским. Где ваш патриотизм.

(Forgive my Russian, I'm not well practiced in it, or Cyrillic.) :wink:

Perhaps you could tell us at what school you are "Professor Emeritus", what degrees you hold, and when and where you received them. Perhaps you could also tell us why a Russian "Professor Emeritus", supposedly in St. Petersburg, is posting from Ottawa, Canada.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:48 pm

The last time I met someone wacky like this, he claimed to be using a laptop from the top of a pyramid somewhere in the Middle East. We questioned his Connecticut IP address and he said someone had set up a proxy for him and he had no idea where that proxy was. He was really bonkers. I never figured out if he was really an Islamic fundamentalist or just some kid who forgot to take his meds now and then. It got old fairly quickly. Professor Emetic could be a better name for him.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Sputnick emulates Andy Kaufmann. It's entertaining to some for a short time, but soon it wears thin and he is voted off one show by the cast and off another by the viewers. What stinks stinks.

Но мне интересно, почему человек из Оклахомы не лучше говорить русский.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:35 pm

apodman wrote:Но мне интересно, почему человек из Оклахомы не лучше говорить русский.
Мы не получить много практики.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:29 am

Потому что тут есть люди которые смогут отличить настоящих русскоязычных от пользователей babelfish - жопой, гад, западло чует :) edit: I'm slow, I was thinking Ottawa not Oklahoma

another russian test for sputnick... err, mishkin, which one is a joke:
1 ехал как-то Путин в автобусе
2 однажды Путина распилили пополам

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:44 pm

for you nostalgia fans! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4W7oZBhAJg :wink:

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

mishkin
Ensign

Post by mishkin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:22 pm

bystander wrote:
mishkin wrote:Understand I not your question. Perhaps you write it me in Russian?
Но я любознательон, почему чанадец от Оттава претендуя быть русским. Где ваш патриотизм.

(Forgive my Russian, I'm not well practiced in it, or Cyrillic.) :wink:

Perhaps you could tell us at what school you are "Professor Emeritus", what degrees you hold, and when and where you received them. Perhaps you could also tell us why a Russian "Professor Emeritus", supposedly in St. Petersburg, is posting from Ottawa, Canada.
Ah Comrade, like you, and as you say, I also like to know many things, like why do you not read carefully my posts? If doing so you had done so you would easily see I am in Ottawa on tenure, longing to return to St. Petersburg. But your questions, so many, like is said in Russia, "are you KGB or a Tolstoy wannabe"? (Translated in the west as "are you a cop or writing a book"? Some things are too sensitive at this time to divulge, but my school is not classified information, St. Petersburg Accademy of Astrophysics, Cosmology, Song and Dance. And patriotism, well, as you well know, history shows national flags are wonderful tools for enlisting cannon fodder, for elimination of the unemployed, and for development of consumer products like automatic washing machines. But come, let us leave behind the tired and mundane and immoral, and talk of otherworldly things. :)

mishkin
Ensign

Post by mishkin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:44 pm

apodman wrote:Sputnick emulates Andy Kaufmann. It's entertaining to some for a short time, but soon it wears thin and he is voted off one show by the cast and off another by the viewers. What stinks stinks.

Но мне интересно, почему человек из Оклахомы не лучше говорить русский.
Ah yes, the western way, to assert power authority instead of freely allowing continuance and choice .. even when commerce is uninvolved. Changing the channel is huge option in the west, with so many cables and sattelites and t.v.s Of course, in Russia, is only one t.v. station, one channel, a few hundred television sets, as has been told many times in western media, but comedians are always welcomed, as we welcomed the red nosed clown from Quebec into the ISS. Space circus .. what we need more of. As for Andy Kaufman, Andy the Robot says, ""T'ank you veddy much!" while Evis, who was supposed to have left the building, appears and disappears according to quantum non-locality.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:53 pm

mishkin wrote:Ah Comrade, like you, and as you say, I also like to know many things, like why do you not read carefully my posts? If doing so you had done so you would easily see I am in Ottawa on tenure, longing to return to St. Petersburg. But your questions, so many, like is said in Russia, "are you KGB or a Tolstoy wannabe"? (Translated in the west as "are you a cop or writing a book"? Some things are too sensitive at this time to divulge, but my school is not classified information, St. Petersburg Accademy of Astrophysics, Cosmology, Song and Dance. And patriotism, well, as you well know, history shows national flags are wonderful tools for enlisting cannon fodder, for elimination of the unemployed, and for development of consumer products like automatic washing machines. But come, let us leave behind the tired and mundane and immoral, and talk of otherworldly things. :)
No, seriously, I want to know what degrees you hold, when and where you received them. This is not classified information, even in the days of the cold war. I also don't understand why your school, the St. Petersburg Accademy of Astrophysics, Cosmology, Song and Dance, has absolutely no web presence. Also, do you even know what tenure means?

I think it may be time to silence Sputnik, once again.

mishkin
Ensign

Post by mishkin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 pm

bystander wrote:
mishkin wrote:Ah Comrade, like you, and as you say, I also like to know many things, like why do you not read carefully my posts? If doing so you had done so you would easily see I am in Ottawa on tenure, longing to return to St. Petersburg. But your questions, so many, like is said in Russia, "are you KGB or a Tolstoy wannabe"? (Translated in the west as "are you a cop or writing a book"? Some things are too sensitive at this time to divulge, but my school is not classified information, St. Petersburg Accademy of Astrophysics, Cosmology, Song and Dance. And patriotism, well, as you well know, history shows national flags are wonderful tools for enlisting cannon fodder, for elimination of the unemployed, and for development of consumer products like automatic washing machines. But come, let us leave behind the tired and mundane and immoral, and talk of otherworldly things. :)
No, seriously, I want to know what degrees you hold, when and where you received them. This is not
classified information, even in the days of the cold war. I also don't understand school, the St. Petersburg Accademy of Astrophysics, Cosmology, Song and Dance, has absolutely no web presence. Also, do you even know what tenure means?

I think it may be time to silence Sputnik, once again.
Okay .. Steppe Dancing is one of my lustrous degrees, Bystander; but Silencing Sputnick Is hopeless, as whenever you watch Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner, you will think of Spuntick .. Beep Beep. And also Little Nash Rambler beeping, beeping, beeping. Sputnick will nearly forever orbit. Tenure .." Tenure commonly refers to life tenure in a job and specifically to a senior academic's contractual right not to have their position terminated without just cause."
I seem to always give 'just cause' .. p'raps is wodka wobble I walk into walls with. By the way, you are great funny comedian, I think you miss a calling. :D

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:34 pm

mishkin wrote:Okay .. Steppe Dancing is one of my lustrous degrees, Bystander; but Silencing Sputnick Is hopeless, as whenever you watch Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner, you will think of Spuntick .. Beep Beep. And also Little Nash Rambler beeping, beeping, beeping. Sputnick will nearly forever orbit. Tenure .." Tenure commonly refers to life tenure in a job and specifically to a senior academic's contractual right not to have their position terminated without just cause."
I seem to always give 'just cause' .. p'raps is wodka wobble I walk into walls with. By the way, you are great funny comedian, I think you miss a calling. :D
Ah, so you finally looked something up, if a little late.

This topic was started as a warning to the regulars that you were back. You always give yourself away. Pretending to be something and someone you're not is not the way to gain the graces of the PTB. But I'm afraid it's time to go. Bye, bye Sputnik, once again.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:04 pm

no answer to my post, what a surprise :)
mishkin wrote:Of course, in Russia, is only one t.v. station, one channel, a few hundred television sets, as has been told many times in western media...
in 70s? this info is clearly outdated by huge margin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:34 pm

makc wrote:in 70s? this info is clearly outdated by huge margin
Sputnick always did seem to think facts were what he made them.
He never was one to verify his facts before he stepped off into it.

Professor Emeritus, BS, MS, PhD

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:09 pm

BS, MS, PhD

Bull Excrement

More Excrement

Pile it Higher & Deeper

old joke

unohu
Asternaut

Post by unohu » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:18 pm

At least Sputnick is not afraid to step off the sterile sidewalk into organic possibilities. B.S. is great for growing gardens.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:37 pm

unohu wrote:At least Sputnick is not afraid
Yes, I do know who!
  • Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
    And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
    • Horatio, scene ii
      • The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

William Shakespeare

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:19 pm

bystander wrote:Yes, I do know who!
Ha ha, this topic would have to be re-opened now, were it locked before.