The thousand post club

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: The thousand post club

Post by owlice » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:08 am

Amir wrote:Owlice, wouldn't you have even greater ppd with a new account in 2010? how long did it take you to make that 1042 posts?
Amir, I joined Asterisk on August 4, 2004. Yes, I would have a much higher ppd if I had joined in 2010!

(We just had an earthquake. :shock:)

(ETA: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 10yua6.php)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 pm

I farted in about the same time. Can there be a connection?
I know what you're thinking, but what about the other way around? remember the scene in Bolt cartoon, where shockwave knocks down empty plastic glass? :D

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:59 pm

makc wrote:
owlice wrote:
We just had an earthquake. :shock:
I farted in about the same time.
OH....THE HUMANITY!
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jnDDaQu9DuVyh1xQF0kRYv9cd1Zw wrote:
Rare 3.6-magnitude quake shakes Washington DC (AFP)
WASHINGTON — A rare 3.6-magnitude quake rattled Washington and the surrounding area early Friday, startling locals unfamiliar with the experience of wobbly walls and trembling earth. The quake struck 35 kilometers (20 miles) northwest of the US federal capital, in the state of Maryland, at 0904 GMT, the US Geological Survey said. But it was felt by residents living and working in downtown Washington near the White House, as well as south of the capital in the state of Virginia.

The event prompted a flood of calls to emergency services, officials told the Washington Post, which headlined its coverage "Yes, that was an earthquake." The USGS received thousands of reports about the quake, including from states as far away from the epicenter as Georgia, Wisconsin and New York. Earthquakes are unusual on the US east coast, and there is no record of a tremblor ever having been centered in the US capital.

The earliest quake known to have affected the capital was in 1758, but it is believed to have been centered in Maryland. In 1828, then-president John Quincy Adams recorded in his diary his shock at the "violent" tremors associated with a quake that was felt across seven states on the US east coast, as well as Washington, the USGS said. "I was writing in this book, when the table began to shake under my hand and the floor under my feet," he wrote. "There was a momentary sensation as of the heaving of a ship on the waves. It continued about two minutes, then ceased."

Friday's quake was significantly less dramatic for most who felt it, creating just a few wobbly seconds that some initially mistook for the rolling thunder that often accompanies the region's summer storms. The tremblor was too small to impress transplants to the region from seismically-active California, where 5.0-magnitude quakes are not uncommon. "A 3.6 earthquake (hit abt 5 am) isn't REAL," tweeted Major Garrett, the White House correspondent for Fox News. "It's like the rattle of ice when I put my G&T (gin and tonic) down," the south California native wrote.>>
Last edited by neufer on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Amir wrote:one thing i wanted to mention here is that right now Ann is holding the record for ppd. her ppd is 4.58!
and she made 220 posts in just less than 2 month!
Owlice, wouldn't you have even greater ppd with a new account in 2010? how long did it take you to make that 1042 posts?
Is posts per day a big thing now? :roll: :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Amir wrote:one thing i wanted to mention here is that right now Ann is holding the record for ppd. her ppd is 4.58!
:shock: Poor, poor, neufer. :cry:
orin stepanek wrote:Is posts per day a big thing now? :roll: :mrgreen:
I guess for newbies! :wink: Not much us old codgers can do about it.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:03 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Amir wrote:
one thing i wanted to mention here is that right now Ann is holding the record for ppd. her ppd is 4.58!
and she made 220 posts in just less than 2 month! Owlice, wouldn't you have even greater ppd with a new account in 2010?
Is posts per day a big thing now? :roll: :mrgreen:
  • Absolutely NOT!
It was merely the consolation prize that I was offered when I was demoted to the 2nd most pathetic Asterisk retiree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfighter wrote:
<<Most gunfights are portrayed in films or books as having two men square off, waiting for one to make the first move. This was rarely the case. Often, a gunfight was spur-of-the-moment, with one drawing his pistol, and the other reacting. Often it would develop into a shootout where both men bolted for cover. Other times, one or both were drunk and missed several normally easy shots. Many times the shootout was little more than one taking advantage of the other's looking away at an opportune moment.>>
We can't encourage any hotshot newbie to show up so as to earn the Guinness Record for greatest ppd for one week.
bystander wrote: :shock: Poor, poor, neufer. :cry:
One must have at least 500 posts before one should even consider ppd.
(Besides which, Ann won the current record only by "playing the color card.")
    • Back to the Future Part III (1990)
    Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen: I think you ain't nothin' but a gutless YELLOW turd!
    . And I'm givin' you to the count of ten to come out here and prove I'm wrong! One...

Marty McFly: Doc... Come on. Sober up, buddy. Let's go. Come on.

Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen: Two...

Saloon Old-Timer #1: You gotta get out there, SON.
    . I got $20 GOLD bet on you, so don't let me down.

Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen: Three...

Saloon Old-Timer #2: I got $30 GOLD bet again' you, so don't let me down.

Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen: Four...

Saloon Old Timer #3: You better face up to it, SON, 'cause if you don't go out there...

Marty McFly: What?

Saloon Old Timer #3: Everybody everywhere will say,
    . "Clint Eastwood is the biggest YELLOW-belly in the west."

Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen: You hear me, runt?
    . I said that's ten, you gutless, YELLOW, pie-slinger!

Marty McFly: [thinks] I don't care what Tannen says.
    . And I don't care what anybody else says, either!
    ----------------------------------
Last edited by neufer on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Art Neuendorffer

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:48 pm

bystander wrote:Not much us old codgers can do about it.
don't be too modest, you have enough powers to create a hidden forum and blow your ppd (and post count also) there up to any number within your hardware limits.

alternatively, you can sacrifice (reset) your post count and have ppd significantly accelerated.

(post #1771)

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 pm

You don't want your PPD to be positive!
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey Art! I wonder how many of us old codgers are members here? :mrgreen: What would be the qualifications? :lol:
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:27 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Hey Art! I wonder how many of us old codgers are members here? :mrgreen:
What would be the qualifications? :lol:
You have to remember Science Fiction Theatre.

• [first lines of each episode]
    Host: How do you do, ladies and gentlemen?
    I'm your host, Truman Bradley.
    Let me show you something interesting.

[last lines of each episode]
    Host: I hope you enjoyed our story.
    We'll be back one week from today with another exciting adventure from the world of fiction and science.
    Until then, this is your host, Truman Bradley, saying, see you next week.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 pm

neufer wrote:You have to remember Science Fiction Theatre.
I'm not sure that's a fair qualification. Basically your saying, "To be a geezer, you have to be from a family that was affluent enough to afford a TV in the late 50s". My family didn't have a TV until well into the 60s, but that's probably why I enjoy reading so much.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 pm

bystander wrote:
I'm not sure that's a fair qualification. Basically your saying, "To be a geezer, you have to be from a family that was affluent enough to afford a TV in the late 50s". My family didn't have a TV until well into the 60s, but that's probably why I enjoy reading so much.
OK...you can be an honorary geezer.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:17 am

neufer wrote:
bystander wrote:
OK...you can be an honorary geezer.
I put in a post but it didn't print. I'm sure I hit the submit button. It was the same time Art posted his. :? Oh well; all I said was that I had older brothers and one bought a black and white in the 50"s. I know my sister loved Sugarfoot and the Mavericks. We weren't affluent either bystander as there were 9 of us kids; but it was a great time for me.
Orin

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:58 am

You have to remember and still be able to use a A Table of the Common Logarithm, naturally doing your sums on a slide rule.

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:06 am

Amir wrote:how long did it take you to make that 1042 posts?
Amir, my forum monsterhood started on March 11; I had 7 posts before then. So that's 1035 posts (well, more now) in 128 days, which gives me a PPD of... oh dear gracious.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:23 am

rstevenson wrote:You have to remember and still be able to use a A Table of the Common Logarithm, naturally doing your sums on a slide rule.
I remember doing that, but I'm not sure I remember how. :? I doubt that I can even find my slide rules. :shock: I remember my favorite was a circular slide rule that fit in my shirt pocket (behind the pocket protector). 8-) Then I became a computer programmer and I could just have the computer do it for me. :P

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:17 am

bystander wrote:
rstevenson wrote:You have to remember and still be able to use a A Table of the Common Logarithm, naturally doing your sums on a slide rule.
I remember doing that, but I'm not sure I remember how. :? I doubt that I can even find my slide rules. :shock: I remember my favorite was a circular slide rule that fit in my shirt pocket (behind the pocket protector). 8-) Then I became a computer programmer and I could just have the computer do it for me. :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage wrote: <<Charles Babbage, FRS (26 December 1791 – 18 October 1871) was an English mathematician, philosopher, inventor, and mechanical engineer who originated the concept of a programmable computer. Babbage sought a method by which mathematical tables could be calculated mechanically, removing the high rate of human error. Three different factors seem to have influenced him: a dislike of untidiness; his experience working on logarithmic tables; and existing work on calculating machines carried out by Wilhelm Schickard, Blaise Pascal, and Gottfried Leibniz. He first discussed the principles of a calculating engine in a letter to Sir Humphry Davy in 1822.

From 1828 to 1839 Babbage was Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge. He contributed largely to several scientific periodicals, and was instrumental in founding the Astronomical Society in 1820 and the Statistical Society in 1834. However, he dreamt of designing mechanical calculating machines: “... I was sitting in the rooms of the Analytical Society, at Cambridge, my head leaning forward on the table in a kind of dreamy mood, with a table of logarithms lying open before me. Another member, coming into the room, and seeing me half asleep, called out, "Well, Babbage, what are you dreaming about?" to which I replied "I am thinking that all these tables" (pointing to the logarithms) "might be calculated by machinery. "

Babbage's machines were among the first mechanical computers, although they were not actually completed, largely because of funding problems and personality issues. He directed the building of some steam-powered machines that achieved some success, suggesting that calculations could be mechanised. Although Babbage's machines were mechanical and unwieldy, their basic architecture was very similar to a modern computer. The data and program memory were separated, operation was instruction based, the control unit could make conditional jumps and the machine had a separate I/O unit.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Eyes on the Teapot

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Code: Select all

bystander           3969  / 2.77 ppd since Mon Aug 28, 2006  / Most Pathetic Retiree
Neufer              3420  / 3.62 ppd since Mon Jan 21, 2008  / Quotidian Quotationist
Chris Peterson      3184  / 2.47 ppd since Tue Dec 07, 2004  / Expert Cloud Angler
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry               2867  / 1.69 ppd since Fri Nov 18, 2005  / G'day G'day G'day G'day
BMAONE23            2181  / 1.10 ppd since Wed Feb 23, 2005  / Commentator Model 1.23
makc                1781  / 0.84 ppd since Tue Oct 12, 2004  / Best Title in the Universe
orin stepanek       1740  / 0.94 ppd since Wed Jul 27, 2005  / Resident Geezer
apodman             1173  / 1.11 ppd since Wed Aug 15, 2007  / Teapot Fancier (MIA)
owlice              1169  / 0.54 ppd since Wed Aug 02, 2004  / Jabberwren Hooter Girl
geckzilla           1020  / 0.97 ppd since Wed Sep 12, 2007  / Ocular Digitator
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RJN                  859  / 0.39 ppd since Sat Jul 24, 2006  / Baffled Boffin
The Code             821  / 1.67 ppd since Sat Mar 09, 2009  / Cosmic Skeptic
Nereid               802  / 0.58 ppd since Thu Sep 28, 2006  / Science Officer
emc                  622  / 0.57 ppd since Tue Jul 17, 2007  / Equine Locutionist
Qev                  563  / 0.35 ppd since Wed Mar 08, 2006  / Ontological Cartographer
Dr. Skeptic          507  / 0.35 ppd since Thu Jul 27, 2006  / Science Officer
Art Neuendorffer

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I don't see any changes except owlice overposted geckzilla. Could be nice of you to include some change indicators (maybe colors, or up/down arrows).

p.s. is it me, or did someone remove my avatar?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Your avatar is definitely missing.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:29 pm

You have to remember and still be able to use a A Table of the Common Logarithm, naturally doing your sums on a slide rule.
they (geezer teachers, I suppose) actually tried to teach us how to use a slide rule. I remember having at least two. but electronic calculators were already available, so this didn't go well with us.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:28 pm

makc wrote:I don't see any changes except owlice overposted geckzilla.
Could be nice of you to include some change indicators (maybe colors, or up/down arrows).
You have to be creative in reading the Subject line.
Art Neuendorffer

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:30 pm

ah...

apodman             1173
owlice              1169
well, owlice could have made those 4 posts by now, let's see...

apodman             1173
owlice              1172
not yet, but the gap is closing.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:44 pm

owlice wrote: (We just had an earthquake. :shock:)

And we might have just had another.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:25 pm

owlice wrote:
owlice wrote: (We just had an earthquake. :shock:)

And we might have just had another.

Minor earthquake shakes up US capital's movers
The Washington Post, July 16, 2010; 5:45 PM

<<No, it didn't involve any of the 300 antique glass milk bottles that Mike has collected, including the rare Thompson's Dairy bottle it took him 20 years to find. They escaped unscathed. Not so lucky was Mike's model train layout, a gargantuan S-scale setup that he has been building in his basement. While assessing the state of things, Mike's wife, Linda, exclaimed: "Look! A cow fell over!" Indeed, one of the 15 tiny plastic cows Mike had placed in the model train layout had fallen over.>>
Art Neuendorffer