50 years since man last "set foot"

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

50 years since man last "set foot"

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard inside Trieste
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/15/AR2010041502544.html wrote:
Navy honors officer 50 years after voyage to ocean depths
By Michael E. Ruane / Friday, April 16, 2010
Washington Post Staff Writer

<<In 1961, Jacques Piccard predicted in his book that "within a few years the rush into outer space will be matched by an . . . invasion of inner space." And over the years, other vessels have indeed visited Challenger Deep, but never with humans on board. This week, a half-century after Trieste's famous descent, Walsh said they had been certain man would soon return. "NEVER happened," he said.>>
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Re: 50 years since man last "set foot"

Post by wonderboy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:12 pm

I loathe this! Why haven't they tried again with humans on board. I think its slightly embarassing for the human race that people 50 years ago could get that deep but we cannot in with our modern day advances in technology.

The only thing i wonder about is windows, or even camera images from the deep! would that be possible, or would the immense pressure break through the windows and crush the cameras? I think theres a lot to be learned by visiting the briny deep!

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:22 pm

wonderboy wrote:I loathe this! Why haven't they tried again with humans on board. I think its slightly embarassing for the human race that people 50 years ago could get that deep but we cannot in with our modern day advances in technology.

The only thing i wonder about is windows, or even camera images from the deep! would that be possible, or would the immense pressure break through the windows and crush the cameras? I think theres a lot to be learned by visiting the briny deep!
Like manned exploration of space, manned exploration of the deep sea is largely pointless. It is precisely our advanced technology that makes these dangerous and expensive endeavors unnecessary. The romanticism of manned exploration aside, these are things that are best left to robots. Since the dive of the Trieste, we have explored the Challenger Deep very effectively without seriously endangering humans.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm

But thats what makes it exciting Chris............!

On a more serious note, your completely right, why send a human if we have a robot? I never even thought of the safety issues.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 pm

wonderboy wrote:But thats what makes it exciting Chris............!
And make no mistake... I grew up at the beginning of manned space flight, and remember still the excitement of those Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions. And if we had greater resources to direct towards projects of exploration, I'd still support a strong human presence. But until then, we seem to be operating on a pretty thin budget, and every manned trip- to space or to the ocean floor- could pay for a dozen robotic missions that would be at least as effective, even if they were somewhat less exciting.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
wonderboy wrote:But thats what makes it exciting Chris............!
And make no mistake... I grew up at the beginning of manned space flight, and remember still the excitement of those Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions. And if we had greater resources to direct towards projects of exploration, I'd still support a strong human presence. But until then, we seem to be operating on a pretty thin budget, and every manned trip- to space or to the ocean floor- could pay for a dozen robotic missions that would be at least as effective, even if they were somewhat less exciting.
The robotic missions also provide jobs for a lot more scientists.

What is the point of exciting young children into the field of science with manned missions only to have them end up driving taxi cabs?
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Autosub6000

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:59 pm

http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/story.aspx?id=707 wrote:
Deepest black smokers found in Caribbean
12 April 2010, by Tom Marshall

<<Scientists have found the deepest known hydrothermal vents, some 5 kilometres down beneath the waves of the Caribbean in the Cayman Trough. They used submersibles to probe the vents, finding slender spires of copper and iron ores around the vent, amid jets of water hot enough to melt lead.

ImageImage
Autosub6000 & the deepest black smoker ever found.

'Seeing the world's deepest black smoker vents looming out of the darkness was awe-inspiring,' says Dr Jon Copley, a marine biologist at the University of Southampton's School of Ocean and Earth Science who is based at the National Oceanography Centre (NOC) and led the whole research programme. 'Superheated water was gushing out of their two-storey high mineral spires, more than three miles beneath the waves.'

Hydrothermal vents, also called black smokers, are spots on the seabed where fluid and gases from deep volcanic systems leak up into the seawater. They often host extraordinary communities of plants and animals. These creatures are adapted to high pressure and lightless, scalding conditions.

Unlike most ecosystems on Earth, these communities get their energy not from sunlight, but from the chemical energy found in the fluids pumped out by the vents. The first black smokers were discovered decades ago, but most are in much shallower water.

The submersibles launched from the British research vessel RRS James Cook. They also took samples of the fluids jetting out of the vent, which will now be analysed and compared with samples from other black smokers.

The Cayman Trough is the world's deepest undersea volcanic rift, found on the seabed between the Cayman Islands and Jamaica. At its lowest point, the pressure is equivalent to the weight of a large family car pressing down on every square inch.

The scientists first launched an underwater robot called Autosub6000, which moves around the aquatic environment under its own control. Designed and built by scientists at NOC in Southampton, it carried out a detailed survey of the seabed in the area. They then followed it with another deep-sea vehicle, named HyBIS; this descended under remote control to the vent site Autosub6000 had identified and took samples and pictures. HyBIS was developed by team member Dr Bramley Murton alongside engineering firm Hydro-Lek Ltd.
World's deepest black smoker

'It was like wandering across the surface of another world', says Murton, who controlled HyBIS for the mission. 'The rainbow hues of the mineral spires and the fluorescent blues of the microbial mats covering them were like nothing I had ever seen before.'

The team will stay in the Caribbean continuing the research until 20 April. They then hope to return to the area over the next year or two with ISIS, the larger of NOC's remotely-operated vehicles, once they can secure ship time to do so. ISIS was recently used to seek out the first black smokers ever found in the Southern Ocean, and has a wider range of abilities than HyBIS. It can take high-resolution images and video of what it finds, and can even bring up animals in specially-pressurised vessels so they can be studied on the surface.

As well as the researchers from Southampton, the expedition also includes scientists from the University of Durham in the UK, from the University of North Carolina Wilmington and the University of Texas in the US, and from Norway's University of Bergen. Colleagues ashore at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and Duke University will help them analyse the data on the newly-discovered vents.>>
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander

Re: Autosub6000

Post by wonderboy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:21 pm

neufer wrote:
http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/story.aspx?id=707 wrote:
Deepest black smokers found in Caribbean
12 April 2010, by Tom Marshall

<<Scientists have found the deepest known hydrothermal vents, some 5 kilometres down beneath the waves of the Caribbean in the Cayman Trough. They used submersibles to probe the vents, finding slender spires of copper and iron ores around the vent, amid jets of water hot enough to melt lead.

ImageImage
Autosub6000 & the deepest black smoker ever found.

'Seeing the world's deepest black smoker vents looming out of the darkness was awe-inspiring,' says Dr Jon Copley, a marine biologist at the University of Southampton's School of Ocean and Earth Science who is based at the National Oceanography Centre (NOC) and led the whole research programme. 'Superheated water was gushing out of their two-storey high mineral spires, more than three miles beneath the waves.'

Hydrothermal vents, also called black smokers, are spots on the seabed where fluid and gases from deep volcanic systems leak up into the seawater. They often host extraordinary communities of plants and animals. These creatures are adapted to high pressure and lightless, scalding conditions.

Unlike most ecosystems on Earth, these communities get their energy not from sunlight, but from the chemical energy found in the fluids pumped out by the vents. The first black smokers were discovered decades ago, but most are in much shallower water.

The submersibles launched from the British research vessel RRS James Cook. They also took samples of the fluids jetting out of the vent, which will now be analysed and compared with samples from other black smokers.

The Cayman Trough is the world's deepest undersea volcanic rift, found on the seabed between the Cayman Islands and Jamaica. At its lowest point, the pressure is equivalent to the weight of a large family car pressing down on every square inch.

The scientists first launched an underwater robot called Autosub6000, which moves around the aquatic environment under its own control. Designed and built by scientists at NOC in Southampton, it carried out a detailed survey of the seabed in the area. They then followed it with another deep-sea vehicle, named HyBIS; this descended under remote control to the vent site Autosub6000 had identified and took samples and pictures. HyBIS was developed by team member Dr Bramley Murton alongside engineering firm Hydro-Lek Ltd.
World's deepest black smoker

'It was like wandering across the surface of another world', says Murton, who controlled HyBIS for the mission. 'The rainbow hues of the mineral spires and the fluorescent blues of the microbial mats covering them were like nothing I had ever seen before.'

The team will stay in the Caribbean continuing the research until 20 April. They then hope to return to the area over the next year or two with ISIS, the larger of NOC's remotely-operated vehicles, once they can secure ship time to do so. ISIS was recently used to seek out the first black smokers ever found in the Southern Ocean, and has a wider range of abilities than HyBIS. It can take high-resolution images and video of what it finds, and can even bring up animals in specially-pressurised vessels so they can be studied on the surface.

As well as the researchers from Southampton, the expedition also includes scientists from the University of Durham in the UK, from the University of North Carolina Wilmington and the University of Texas in the US, and from Norway's University of Bergen. Colleagues ashore at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and Duke University will help them analyse the data on the newly-discovered vents.>>

Just a quick point.... surely these blighters could be used to form some sort of geothermal green energy programme?

For instance, you use the heat to create electricity, and then fire that electricity to where it matters. Surely things like that could power the carribean if there was enough of them. Its just an idea.

I remember richard branson put a competition out to see who could come up with a new and innovative idea to save the planet from carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. If this counts then I copyright it haha.

I think its a plan though.

Paul