NYT: Is the Internet Destroying Democracy?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

NYT: Is the Internet Destroying Democracy?

Post by RJN » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/opinion/20brooks.html
The new media, he noted, allow you to personalize your newspapers so you only see the stories that already interest you. You can visit only those Web sites that confirm your prejudices. Instead of a public square, we could end up with a collection of information cocoons.

makc
Commodore

Re: NYT: Is the Internet Destroying Democracy?

Post by makc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:24 pm

this poses same risk to democracy as not letting jehova winess to preach in my appartment.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks for the article; it's timely for me, as this topic had come up in class just last week. I was heartened to read this:
The NYTimes article linked to above wrote:If this study is correct, the Internet will not produce a cocooned public square, but a free-wheeling multilayered Mad Max public square. The study also suggests that if there is increased polarization (and there is), it’s probably not the Internet that’s causing it.
Of course, the "increased polarization" part is still of great concern, but at least it appears that people are reading widely online.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 am

RJN wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/opinion/20brooks.html
The new media, he noted, allow you to personalize your newspapers so you only see the stories that already interest you. You can visit only those Web sites that confirm your prejudices. Instead of a public square, we could end up with a collection of information cocoons.

I've just read it, and I wish I had filtered it out already.

The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can also be a very nasty place which is full of crime. You either choose to be innocent or nasty just the same as you choose which websites to click on to. This, in my opinion, underpins what democracy is all about. At least we can go onto almost any site we want, just look at the poor chinese internet users, they can't even get google!!!

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?