Sunday: Sunday Schools That Teach Children Anarchy

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Sunday: Sunday Schools That Teach Children Anarchy

Post by bystander » Fri May 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Sunday Schools That Teach Children Anarchy
Sunday Magazine - 07 May 2010
I saw this headline and I thought it was just some overblown sensationalism. But then I read the article, and it turns out they’re literally talking about anarchist-run schools. In particular, they point out the a particular Sunday School on Avenue A, run by Alexander Berkmann, a “leading member of the anarchist movement in the 20th century” (quoting Wikipedia).

I scoffed at first because I typically think of schools as places with strict rules to follow. How could anarchists run a school? But the more I read, the more the school sounded pretty good. It’s just on Sunday, so the students presumably attended a normal school during the week, and it seems like it probably provided thought provoking counterpoint. Here is some of what Berkmann told the Times about the curriculum:
SUNDAY SCHOOLS THAT TEACH CHILDREN ANARCHY:
A Thousand Young Persons Are Being Trained in New York to
Be Successors of Emma Goldman and Alexander Berkmann
(Credit: New York Times Sunday Magazine | 08 May 1910)
  • The pupil of the Anarchist Sunday school is taught to reason. The teacher only serves to direct their attention to a problem.
    These occasional inquiries as to the spiritual life have generally ended in the Anarchist Sunday schools with the proposition that some of the remarkable things in life can be understood and that there are questions which never can be settled. The mental attitude of the children might be put in this way: We are not certain whether there are grounds for the belief that we should pray.

That, of course, leaves the question well in the field of agnosticism. The teacher of anarchy does not, with the children, declare that there is no God. Nor does he say that there is a God. The Sunday school class goes frequently to the Museum of Natural History, to Central Park, to the Zoological Gardens, and other places where, with the teacher, nature is studied.
That sounds pretty good to me. At least until the part later where Berkmann speaks against having laws. But in general, I like that the students were being taught to think for themselves and not just blindly follow authority on at least one day a week.

Wikipedia has more to say about the anarchist schools here.