What You Need to Know about Energy

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

What You Need to Know about Energy

Post by bystander » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:07 pm

The National Academies | Our Energy System

An interactive chart of energy flow in the US

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: What You Need to Know about Energy

Post by Beyond » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Wow -- it must have taken quite a few tries to get that graphic right. It is very 8-)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:16 am

I think we need to quit depending so much on fossil fuels and start building more sources like solar; wind; & hydro! I'm not big on nuclear power; but not against it either. :? Consumption of energy is increasing every year by two percent according to this report.
http://timeforchange.org/prediction-of- ... onsumption
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:05 am

If i could get away with it, I would just live rough, use my fishing rod and hunt animals to survive. By get away with it i mean the following.

I can imagine waking up in the morning in a crudely built home made purely from green materials, eating a chunk of venison for breakfast and putting my suit on to go to work. but surely i'd smell and its also the case that the local council would probably want to make me pay council tax for my crudely built home. I could also get washed in a river and the only impact id have on the planet and its atmosphere would be my rather smelly farts and the fire created to produce the food which fuels those smelly farts.

In short, I'd do it if I wouldnt get taxed, because I have the skills to do it. Don't know id I'd be to succesful with the ladies though...

Paul
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Any one person can do that if they make the effort. The problem is that if all 6+ billion of us had to do it, perhaps due to some sort of catastrophe, then about 80% of us would die within the first year or so. There ain't enough venison to go around.

And watch out Paul; in Scotland you could get shot for eating venison that someone else thinks is theirs. Especially if you're anywhere near Balmoral when you chow down. ;-)

Rob

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:11 pm

When you get older you do not want to know more about it -- you just want more of it :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.