Time Travel

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
swainy (tc)

Re: Time Travel

Post by swainy (tc) » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Again, you fail to understand relativity. It does not say that time changes, or is malleable, or anything of the sort. It only says that observers in one non-inertial frame of reference observe time in a different frame of reference as moving at a different rate. It does not say that time actually changes its rate of flow. By analogy, consider the simple case of motion in inertial frames. If you observe the velocity of something outside your frame, and then change your own velocity and observe it again, it will appear to have changed velocity. But I don't think anybody would rationally say that you changed that object's velocity, or that velocity was somehow "malleable" as applied to what you were observing. You are simply seeing a relative effect- one that will look completely different to observers in other frames.

I just got back from Rigil Kentaurus, Traveling at light speed was Fun. Its also funny that my twin Brother looks 600 years older than me. :wink:

tc

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:29 pm

swainy (tc) wrote:I just got back from Rigil Kentaurus, Traveling at light speed was Fun. Its also funny that my twin Brother looks 600 years older than me.
You must have stayed a long time, because he should only be about 9 years older than you.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

swainy (tc)

Post by swainy (tc) » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
swainy (tc) wrote:I just got back from Rigil Kentaurus, Traveling at light speed was Fun. Its also funny that my twin Brother looks 600 years older than me.
You must have stayed a long time, because he should only be about 9 years older than you.
Hey, I never said where i was before that. :lol:

tc

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:39 pm

swainy (tc) wrote:Hey, I never said where i was before that.
BEYONDER LAND?

swainy (tc)

Post by swainy (tc) » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:58 pm

bystander wrote:
BEYONDER LAND?
:lol:

But do you understand the concept of this? If I could change time, Could we stop Andromeda colliding with the milky way? Could we Re inhabit earth, 50 million years ago? Yeah To us, these things are impossible. But are they Completely impossible?

tc

swainy (tc)

Post by swainy (tc) » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Guest wrote:
swainy (tc) wrote:Now, If all of Time was created at the same time, Then all of time should be accessible.
Right... what?
swainy (tc) wrote:Now when scientist say that being in the vicinity of a Black Hole, Or traveling at the speed of light, We see Time changing. This shows me that Time is some how malleable, In certain aspects and ways. It tells me I can speed time up or slow it down, if i get the energy or tech to do this. There is nothing wrong, In believing, that any part of the giant jigsaw we have, can be worked out.
I like it how you use same theory Chris is using to argue against you. However, your argument is weak, all you are saying is that you hope for new theory with broader range of time "changes" available; in present theory you don't have much room for that.
There are Floors In The theories, That Chris Believes in. He cant get away from them. They are, going to bite him one day.

Being an astronomer, you really need to have an open mind. because anything can Happen.

The Code

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:22 pm

swainy (tc) wrote:
Guest wrote:
swainy (tc) wrote:Now, If all of Time was created at the same time, Then all of time should be accessible.
Right... what?
swainy (tc) wrote:Now when scientist say that being in the vicinity of a Black Hole, Or traveling at the speed of light, We see Time changing. This shows me that Time is some how malleable, In certain aspects and ways. It tells me I can speed time up or slow it down, if i get the energy or tech to do this. There is nothing wrong, In believing, that any part of the giant jigsaw we have, can be worked out.
I like it how you use same theory Chris is using to argue against you. However, your argument is weak, all you are saying is that you hope for new theory with broader range of time "changes" available; in present theory you don't have much room for that.
There are Floors In The theories, That Chris Believes in. He cant get away from them. They are, going to bite him one day.

Being an astronomer, you really need to have an open mind. because anything can Happen.

The Code
There are "floors" in Chris' Theories :?: Do you know how many different storys there are :?: :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:31 pm

swainy (tc) wrote:
bystander wrote:
BEYONDER LAND?
:lol:

But do you understand the concept of this? If I could change time, Could we stop Andromeda colliding with the milky way? Could we Re inhabit earth, 50 million years ago? Yeah To us, these things are impossible. But are they Completely impossible?

tc
Yes - Beyonder Land :!: That's where i come from. However, you can not go there if you are not from there. I am from there but can not go there either. That door closed when i left, so I'm waiting for the Beyonder Land door that is yet to arrive and open so i can go to the next Beyonder Land. Perhaps you will be able to go there also. Or perhaps you have your own Beyonder Land to go to :?:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:35 pm

bystander wrote:
BEYONDER LAND?
As Elmer Fudd would say -- You wascal :!:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:36 pm

swainy (tc) wrote:There are Floors In The theories, That Chris Believes in. He cant get away from them. They are, going to bite him one day.
Floors? I don't "believe" in any theories. But I do place varying degrees of confidence in those that I am able to understand, and degrees of confidence in those I don't based on the credentials and opinions of people who do. I have no doubt at all that many theories do not represent the complete picture, and will change with time. Some might even be rejected completely, although that is increasingly rare. I don't really see how I will be "bitten" by that. By being wrong? One of the most exciting things that can happen to a scientist is being wrong... it means that there is a new and deeper understanding about something.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:42 am

this thread is fooking reverse of godwins law. another proof of time reversal being possible.

swainy (tc)

Post by swainy (tc) » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
swainy (tc) wrote:There are Floors In The theories, That Chris Believes in. He cant get away from them. They are, going to bite him one day.
Floors? I don't "believe" in any theories. But I do place varying degrees of confidence in those that I am able to understand, and degrees of confidence in those I don't based on the credentials and opinions of people who do. I have no doubt at all that many theories do not represent the complete picture, and will change with time. Some might even be rejected completely, although that is increasingly rare. I don't really see how I will be "bitten" by that. By being wrong? One of the most exciting things that can happen to a scientist is being wrong... it means that there is a new and deeper understanding about something.
I completely respect that answer Chris. And I mostly agree with it. Bitten was a wrong word to use , My bad.

tc

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: The Seven Arrows of Time

Post by bystander » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:09 pm

neufer wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_of_time wrote: 1) The thermodynamic arrow of time
2) The cosmological arrow of time
3) The radiative arrow of time
4) The causal arrow of time
5) The particle physics (weak) arrow of time
6) The quantum arrow of time
7) The psychological/perceptual arrow of time
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Sean Carroll: The Origin of the Universe and the Arrow of Time
Discover Blogs | Cosmic Variance | 25 Aug 2010

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:30 am

swainy(tc) wrote:
I'm reminded of something that was said by one of the astronomers who discovered the acceleration of the universe. He said that the results they got were unbelievable. But, he reminded his colleagues, we are observers... we approach our results not with our hearts, or even our minds, but with our eyes. We observe, we get results, we see the results, we accept them.

So what astronomers need may not be open minds as much as open eyes. Of course, if an astronomer ever carries out a repeatable experiment which really and truly suggests that time travel is possible, then other astronomers had better start believing.

But until then, astronomers should believe what their eyes and their experiments have told them so far, which is that time travel is impossible.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:37 pm

Ann wrote:swainy(tc) wrote:
I'm reminded of something that was said by one of the astronomers who discovered the acceleration of the universe. He said that the results they got were unbelievable. But, he reminded his colleagues, we are observers... we approach our results not with our hearts, or even our minds, but with our eyes. We observe, we get results, we see the results, we accept them.

So what astronomers need may not be open minds as much as open eyes. Of course, if an astronomer ever carries out a repeatable experiment which really and truly suggests that time travel is possible, then other astronomers had better start believing.

But until then, astronomers should believe what their eyes and their experiments have told them so far, which is that time travel is impossible.

Ann
Aah: but we have memories. Some good; some not so good! Time gone by; but in our mind we have pictures; books; movies and media; these are ways we can go back into the past. :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

swainy (tc)

Post by swainy (tc) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Matter/Energy , can't be destroyed or created. Does that mean, A week last Thursday, Does Not Exist ? Or, Never Existed?

What About Next Week ?

Mark

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 pm

swainy (tc) wrote:Matter/Energy , can't be destroyed or created. Does that mean, A week last Thursday, Does Not Exist ? Or, Never Existed?
It existed a week last Thursday.
What About Next Week ?
It will exist next week.

If you stop treating time as different from space, and simply look as the Universe as spacetime, these ideas become much easier to think about.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:19 am

Chris Peterson wrote: If you stop treating time as different from space....
As a member of the crew of the Starship Enterprise, Ensign Wesley Crusher once had a conversation with the one they call the "Traveler" and it went something like this >Wesley said "you mean that time and space and thought aren't the separate things that we think they are?" The Traveler replied "you must not think that. It is too early for you."

Thinking it is one thing. Doing it is something else altogether. ::sigh::

swainy (tc)

Post by swainy (tc) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
swainy (tc) wrote:Matter/Energy , can't be destroyed or created. Does that mean, A week last Thursday, Does Not Exist ? Or, Never Existed?
It existed a week last Thursday.
What About Next Week ?
It will exist next week.

If you stop treating time as different from space, and simply look as the Universe as spacetime, these ideas become much easier to think about.
I don't want to. Time is described as "The forth dimension" By scientists. Just because its before and after, means nothing. Like space, all area's are accessible. Don't forget the muons experiment. Time travel, is more or less fact. Unless you take string theory into account. I'm , of the reason, if it slaps me in the face, I'm a believer. Otherwise, I'm out.

tc

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:59 pm

OK, c'mon you two--chris and swainy--I only had one day last thursday. What did you guys do with the other six :?: