Ukrainian spectacle

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Ukrainian spectacle

Post by neufer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:25 pm

• The Label Maker
Kramer and Newman are on a subway car, the Risk board sits on their laps.

Newman: I can't think, there's all this noise.

Kramer: Or is it because I've built a stronghold around Greenland? I've driven you out of Western Europe and I've left you teetering on the brink of complete annihilation.

Newman: I'm not beaten yet. I still have armies in the Ukraine.

This comment perks up the ears of what appears to be a Ukrainian immigrant.

Kramer: Ha ha, the Ukraine. Do you know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.

Ukrainian: I come from Ukraine. You not say Ukraine weak.

Kramer: Yeah, well we're playing a game here, pal.

Ukrainian: Ukraine is game to you?! Howbout I take your little board and smash it!!

The Ukrainian pounds the game board, destroying it and sending army pieces flying.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

mak©

Re: Ukrainian spectacle

Post by mak© » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:11 am

old story around here :P as someone said on youtube, in ukraine planes come OUT of buildings.

mak©

Post by mak© » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:14 am

p.s. there's no ukraine on that map ;) unless in that game it has conquered all of the eastern europe

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:03 am

mak© wrote:
p.s. there's no ukraine on that map ;) unless in that game it has conquered all of the eastern europe
There's no Ukraine to you?!

Howbout I take your little computer and smash it!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_%28game%29 wrote:
North America (5)
  • 1. Alaska
    2. Alberta [or Western Canada]
    3. Central America
    4. Eastern United States
    5. Greenland
    6. Northwest Territory
    7. Ontario [or Central Canada]
    8. Quebec [or Eastern Canada]
    9. Western United States
South America (2)
  • 1. Argentina
    2. Brazil
    3. Peru
    4. Venezuela
Europe (5)
  • 1. Great Britain
    2. Iceland
    3. Northern Europe
    4. Scandinavia
    5. Southern Europe
    6. Ukraine[or Russia]
    7. Western Europe
Africa (3)
  • 1. Congo [or Central Africa]
    2. East Africa
    3. Egypt
    4. Madagascar
    5. North Africa
    6. South Africa
Asia (7)
  • 1. Afghanistan
    2. China
    3. India
    4. Irkutsk
    5. Japan
    6. Kamchatka
    7. Middle East
    8. Mongolia
    9. Siam [or Southeast Asia]
    10. Siberia
    11. Ural
    12. Yakutsk
Oceania (2)
  • 1. Eastern Australia
    2. Indonesia
    3. New Guinea
    4. Western Australia
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:12 am

mak© wrote:p.s. there's no ukraine on that map ;) unless in that game it has conquered all of the eastern europe
After careful scrutiny, i have found that you are BOTH mostly wrong :!: The Ukraine is listed as #6. #6 is in the upper left corner. However, there is very little of #6 showing. So makc is in error because there is some Ukraine, but neufer is in error because so much of the Ukraine is missing it is almost like it's not there at all.
So to settle this dispute, there will be Sno-Balls at 20 paces. Now that there are both white and pink ones in the store you can flip a coin to see who gets which one.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:37 am

beyond wrote:The Ukraine is listed as #6. #6 is in the upper left corner.
There's also a #6 at the upper right and bottom center, but the Ukraine is top center, #6. If you are going to say people are wrong, it's probably best to at least know what you are talking about.

When I was in Thailand, we used to have marathon Risk tournaments at the USO club. I really like the game. That Ukrainian would have really ticked me off (no offense, makc). And yes, Ukraine as shown on the risk board does take in a lot of the Eastern Bloc countries.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks for pointing out the #6 at top center,bystander. I thought the upper left #6 was a bit far for the Ukraine, but i couldn't tell what the purple # was because i can't see it even with my screen at 150% and a 3 power magnifying glass. Once again it has been shown that you just can't go by what you see, or don't see, in some cases. So i guess the Sno-Ball fight is cancelled and I'm a little pink in the face. By the way, did you know that some of the black color in clothes has pink in it?

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:49 am

beyond wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the #6 at top center,bystander. I thought the upper left #6 was a bit far for the Ukraine, but i couldn't tell what the purple # was because i can't see it even with my screen at 150% and a 3 power magnifying glass.
You need to left tap on the pictures with your mouse to get the FULL RESOLUTION.

(If that doesn't work then right tap on the pictures with your mouse and click on "View Image" .)
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:26 pm

neufer wrote:
beyond wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the #6 at top center,bystander. I thought the upper left #6 was a bit far for the Ukraine, but i couldn't tell what the purple # was because i can't see it even with my screen at 150% and a 3 power magnifying glass.
You need to left tap on the pictures with your mouse to get the FULL RESOLUTION.

(If that doesn't work then right tap on the pictures with your mouse and click on "View Image" .)
Thanks Art, but even doing that and knowing that it's a 6, it's still hard to tell. I could probably turn up my screen brightness, but then i would go buggy-eyed faster.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:26 pm

bystander wrote:If you are going to say people are wrong, it's probably best to at least know what you are talking about.
living right there I feel like I do know what I'm talking about :P surely if we're looking at the map of whole world, there's ukraine somewhere, but the area labeled "6" is not actual ukraine, or rather not only ukraine but also shіtload of other countries, maybe 5 or 6 of them. hence I said,
myself wrote:unless in that game it has conquered all of the eastern europe

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:32 pm

makc wrote:
bystander wrote:
If you are going to say people are wrong, it's probably best to at least know what you are talking about.
living right there I feel like I do know what I'm talking about :P surely if we're looking at the map of whole world, there's ukraine somewhere, but the area labeled "6" is not actual ukraine, or rather not only ukraine but also shіtload of other countries, maybe 5 or 6 of them. hence I said, "unless in that game it has conquered all of the eastern europe."
Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth = a shіtload of other countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth wrote: <<Poland and Lithuania underwent an alternating series of wars and alliances during the 14th and early 15th centuries. Several relatively weak agreements between the two were struck before the more permanent 1569 Union of Lublin. This agreement was one of the signal achievements of Sigismund II Augustus, last monarch of the Jagiellon dynasty. Sigismund believed he could preserve his dynasty by adopting elective monarchy. His death in 1572 was followed by a three-year interregnum during which adjustments were made to the constitutional system; these adjustments significantly increased the power of the Polish nobility and established a truly elective monarchy.

The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth was formed by the 1569 Union of Lublin between the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and lasted until 1795. The new union possessed features unique among contemporary states: the Commonwealth's political system was characterized by strict checks upon monarchical power. These checks were enacted by a legislature (Sejm) controlled by the nobility (szlachta). This idiosyncratic system was a precursor to modern concepts of democracy, constitutional monarchy and federation. The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth was marked by high levels of ethnic diversity and by unusual religious tolerance.

The Commonwealth reached its Golden Age in the early 17th century. Its powerful parliament was dominated by nobles who were reluctant to get involved in the Thirty Years' War; this neutrality spared the country from the ravages of a political-religious conflict which devastated most of contemporary Europe. The Commonwealth was able to hold its own against Sweden, Russia, and vassals of the Ottoman Empire, and even launched successful expansionist offensives against its neighbors. During several invasions of Russia, Commonwealth troops managed to take Moscow and hold on to it from September 27, 1610 to November 4, 1612, until driven out after a siege.>>
  • ___ Hamlet Act IV, scene IV

HAMLET: Good sir, whose powers are these?

Captain: They are of Norway, sir.

HAMLET: How purposed, sir, I pray you?

Captain: Against some part of Poland.

HAMLET: Who commands them, sir?

Captain: The nephews to old Norway, Fortinbras.

HAMLET: Goes it against the main of Poland, sir,
    ___ Or for some frontier?

Captain: Truly to speak, and with no addition,
    ___ We go to gain a little patch of ground
    ___ That hath in it no profit but the name.
    ___ To pay five ducats, five, I would not farm it;
    ___ Nor will it yield to Norway or the Pole
    ___ A ranker rate, should it be sold in fee.

HAMLET: Why, then the Polack never will defend it.

Captain: Yes, it is already garrison'd.

HAMLET: Two thousand souls and twenty thousand ducats
    ___ Will not debate the question of this straw:
    ___ This is the imposthume of much wealth and peace,
    ___ That inward breaks, and shows no cause without
    ___ Why the man dies.
Art Neuendorffer