put the cart before the donkey

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Sport
Asternaut

put the cart before the donkey

Post by Sport » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Hello everyone !

Imagine a space, filled with an infinite amount of everything. One couldn't distinguish between different locations in this space, because every location is full of, has the maximum, an infinite amount of "stuff" in it. Now imagine in this fully packed space(which would be of infinite size) are some locations where the presence of "stuff" is not infinite, but less than infinite. This regions constitute to the visible, measurable matter in the Universe. The rest, the infinite locations would constitute (in our understanding) to "nothing".
Because of the entropic behavior of everything, which acts as an self coordinating system, this less infinite regions would act like throwing a stone into water. Depending on the shape of the stone ( the amount of "less than infinite"), waves are produced around the location and alter the shape of the "infinite-packed-space-system". The more you depart from the location, the smaller is the effect of alteration.

Ok, before you flame me with comments like stupid wannabe physician, i want to say that I'm not into physics that much.

i would be very grateful is somebody could tell me how idiotic this theory is, and why !

please excuse the bad language

sincerely Sport
Last edited by Sport on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: put the cart before the donkey

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Sport wrote: Imagine a space, filled with an infinite amount of everything. One couldn't distinguish between different locations in this space, because every location is full of, has the maximum, an infinite amount of "stuff" in it. Now imagine in this fully packed space(which would be of infinite size) are some locations where the presence of "stuff" is not infinite, but less than infinite. This regions constitute to the visible, measurable matter in the Universe. The rest, the infinite locations would constitute (in our understanding) to "nothing".
Because of the entropic behavior of everything, which acts as an self coordinating system, this less infinite regions would act like throwing a stone into water. Depending on the shape of the stone ( the amount of "less than infinite"), waves are produced around the location and alter the shape of the "infinite-packed-space-system". The more you depart from the location, the smaller is the effect of alteration.

i would be very grateful is somebody could tell me how idiotic this theory is, and why !
There are concepts in there that are not necessarily idiotic:
e.g., Dirac imagined an infinite space filled with electrons
that could be ejected leaving behind a hole in that space (i.e., a positron).

However, there are other concepts that are totally undecipherable :
"Because of the entropic behavior of everything, which acts as an self coordinating system,
this less infinite regions would act like throwing a stone into water. Depending on the shape of the stone"

I doubt that anyone here is capable of understanding your ideas much less of commenting upon them;
we all admire you for trying, however.
Sport wrote:Ok, before you flame me with comments like stupid wannabe physician, i want to say that I'm not into physics that much.
Luke 4:23 And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself:
whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:57 pm

The Asterisk* is not really the place to propose, develop, or debate alternative cosmology theories (Rule #15). If you have specific questions, feel free to ask them.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:10 pm

bystander wrote:
The Asterisk* is not really the place to propose, develop, or debate alternative cosmology theories (Rule #15).
    • Preface: The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll
    If-and the thing is wildly possible-the charge of writing nonsense were ever brought against the author of this brief but instructive poem, it would be based , I feel convinced, on the line (in Fit the Second)

[c]"Then the bowsprit got mixed with the rudder sometimes."[/c]
    In view of this painful possibility, I will not (as I might) appeal indignantly to my other writings as a proof that I am incapable of such a deed: I will not (as I might) point to the strong moral purpose of this poem itself, to the arithmetical principles so cautiously inculcated in it, or to its noble teachings in Natural History--I will take the more prosaic course of simply explaining how it happened.

The Bellman [Bystander], who was almost morbidly sensitive about appearances, used to have the bowsprit unshipped once or twice a week to be revarnished, and it more than once happened, when the time came for replacing it, that no one on board could remember which end of the ship it belonged to. They knew it was not of the slightest use to appeal to the Bellman about it-- he would only refer to his Naval Code, and read out in pathetic tones Admiralty Instructions which none of them had ever been able to understand-- so it generally ended in its being fastened on, anyhow, across the rudder. The helmsman used to stand by with tears in his eyes; he knew it was all wrong, but alas! Rule #42 of the Code, "No one shall speak to the Man at the Helm," had been completed by the Bellman himself with the words "and the Man at the Helm shall speak to no one." So remonstrance was impossible, and no steering could be done till the next varnishing day. During these bewildering intervals the ship usually sailed backwards.
Art Neuendorffer

Sport
Asternaut

Post by Sport » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:28 pm

I feel sorry for disesteeming the rules.... i didn't got to rule 15. Anyways thanks for response and sarkasm
Last edited by Sport on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Sport wrote:
I feel sorry for disesteeming the rules.... i didn't got to rule 15.

Anyways thanks for response and sarkasm
It was more of a Snark chasm, actually.
  • Erect and sublime, for one moment of time
    In the next, that wild figure they saw
    (As if stung by a spasm) plunge into a chasm,
    While they waited and listened in awe.

``It's a Snark!'' was the sound that first came to their ears,
    And seemed almost too good to be true.
    Then followed a torrent of laughter and cheers:
    Then the ominous words ``It's a Boo---''

Then, silence. Some fancied they heard in the air
    A weary and wandering sigh
    That sounded like ``---jum!'' but the others declare
    It was only a breeze that went by.

They hunted till darkness came on, but they found
    Not a button, or feather, or mark,
    By which they could tell that they stood on the ground
    Where the Baker had met with the Snark.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
    In the midst of his laughter and glee,
    He had softly and suddenly vanished away---
    For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sark_%28Tron%29 wrote:
Sark (played by David Warner) is an evil computer program and one of the main characters in the 1982 film Tron. Sark informs everyone that they can either renounce their belief in the Users and join the MCP, or be forced to play games that will result in their eventual elimination. Despite Sark's misgivings over harming Flynn (who he knows to be a User rather than a Program), he is forced into compliance by the MCP and compels Flynn to play a game against another Program. Flynn emerges victorious, but is horrified when Sark "de-rezzes" his opponent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sark_%28planet%29#Sark wrote:
In Isaac Asimov's _The Currents of Space_, Sark rules over Florina and controls the galactic trade of the cloth kyrt.
Art Neuendorffer

Sport
Asternaut

Post by Sport » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:30 pm

ok, i got it :)
Iam a diligence physicist (not Physician) with hope and no understanding of physics at all (the empty chart), rapturousnessly willing to find the deeper sense of everything (the Snark)
but before i lose my face completly, i still want to say thanks. I'll try my botched theorys on the BAUT forum!

Sincerely Sport