Art is entering the Virgo Cluster...

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Art is entering the Virgo Cluster...

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:47 am

Last time I looked, Art had 4027 Asterisk* posts. That means, to me at least, that Art has definitely entered the Virgo Cluster. To me numbers made up of four digits and beginning with the number 4 defintely represent galaxies in the Virgo cluster, because that is where all the galaxies have four-digit NGC numbers beginning with the number 4.

So today, to me at least, Art is 4027 with NGC in front of it, that is, he is NGC 4027. Is that a galaxy? I googled NGC 4027. It's a galaxy all right!!! Art, this is you today!

You're looking good today, Art! You're so blue!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Art is entering the Virgo Cluster...

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:52 am

Oh. Well. You are out of the Virgo Cluster for today, Art. This is what wikipedia says about NGC 4027:
NGC 4027 (also known as Arp 22) is a barred spiral galaxy approximately 83 million light-years away[2] in the constellation Corvus.
An Arp is an Arp, an Art is an Art, and a Corvus is a Corvus. L'art pour l'art! Corvus pour corvus!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

I rescued a cat from a tree and threw down a purple Frisbee

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:13 pm

I rescued a cat from a tree and threw down a purple Frisbee
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

...and will soon put on the Antennae...

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm going out and will be out for several hours, and Art may be very productive while I am out. So in order not to miss the Big Event, let's celebrate Art's putting on the Antennae even before it happened!

Art will be puttin' on his Antennae...

NGC 4038, here he comes!!!!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Re: ...and will soon put on the Antennae...

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm actually much more like Gordon Shumway than uncle mARTin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALF_%28TV_series%29 wrote:
<<ALF is an American science fiction sitcom that originally ran on NBC from 1986 to 1990 and was created by Paul Fusco. The title character was Gordon Shumway, a friendly extraterrestrial nicknamed ALF (for Alien Life Form), who crash lands in the garage of the suburban middle class Tanner family. The premise of ALF is similar to an earlier television series, My Favorite Martian which portrayed an English-speaking alien who was stranded on Planet Earth after a spaceship crash.

ALF (Paul Fusco) follows an amateur radio signal to Earth and crash-lands into the garage of the Tanners. The Tanners are a suburban middle class family in Los Angeles, California. The family consists of social worker Willie (Max Wright), his wife Kate, their teenage daughter Lynn, younger son Brian, and their cat Lucky. ALF finds that, despite his occasional attempts to catch Lucky with the intention of making the cat a meal, he has come to love and respect the family pet too much to do anything untoward with Lucky's remains, although he admits to the Tanners he has become the worst kind of Melmacian, a "cat lover".

The Tanners take ALF into their home and hide him from the Alien Task Force (a part of the U.S. military) and their nosy neighbors Trevor and Raquel Ochmonek, until he can repair his spacecraft. He generally hides in the kitchen. It is eventually revealed that ALF's home planet, Melmac, exploded because of a catastrophe involving nuclear war. ALF was off the planet because he was part of the Melmac Orbit Guard. ALF (a.k.a. Gordon Shumway) is homeless, but he isn't the last survivor of his species. He becomes a permanent member of the family, although his culture shock, survivor guilt, general boredom, despair, and loneliness frequently cause difficulty for the Tanners.

While most of the science fiction of ALF was played for comedic value, there were a few references to actual topics in space exploration, for example ALF's using a radio signal as a beacon in the pilot episode. In the episode "Weird Science", ALF told Brian, who was building a model of the solar system for his science project, that there were two planets beyond Pluto called "Dave" and "Alvin", which gets Brian in trouble at school. However, after Willie makes a call to an astronomical organization, he explains to Brian and ALF that "Dave" could have been the planetoid Chiron, or "Object Kowal", after its discoverer.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cats wrote:
<<Space Cats is a cartoon series for television (with some live-action puppetry sequences) that aired on NBC in 1991. It is a comedy show about alien felines helping mankind. It was from Paul Fusco, the creator (and voice) of ALF. The Space Cats come from a planet called Trygliceride-7, ruled by a being named D.O.R.C. (short for Disembodied Omnipotent Ruler of Cats) which can be described as a disembodied, bespectacled human head with a funny voice. The Space Cats station themselves on Earth in an underground base with a garbage can as its only access. D.O.R.C. describes each mission to the leader Captain Catgut and send the team of Tom, Scratch and Sniff out to work. At the end of each episode, the group gives the viewers a moral, then wrap up the episode vocalizing the Charge music and shouting out their team name.>>
Art Neuendorffer

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Uncle Martin, was really my favorite Martian.
I have a great memories of him, Tim, Mrs. Brown, Detective Brennan.
I still try to point the finger, without any results of levitation. :cry: :lol:
Greetings
César
I come to learn and to have fun.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:33 pm

mexhunter wrote:
Uncle Martin, was really my favorite Martian.
I have a great memories of him, Tim, Mrs. Brown, Detective Brennan.
I still try to point the finger, without any results of levitation. :cry: :lol:
----------------------------------------------------------
  • ____ Beau Hunks (1931)

[There's a knock at the door. Stan picks up the phone]

Ollie: What are you doing?

Stan: There's somebody knocking on the phone.

Ollie: See? That's levity.

Stan: Hello, Mr. Levity?

Ollie: Answer the door! "Mr. Levity". Mmph!
    ]----------------------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

He got past me!

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Art got past me! I mean, his spittingly active central personality did! His jet-setting personality did! His Seyfert personality did! He got 4051 posts and then 4052 posts before I caught him!

NGC4051, a beautiful starforming Seyfert galaxy!

Ann
Color Commentator