Num num num

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Num num num

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Beyond wrote: Orin, i see that you're celebrating your 3000th post with desert.
I have a feeling that a couple of people will catch me before long! Ann and you are moving at a pretty good clip! 8-) :wink:
Well, IF we do end up catching up to you, i hope it's before the Mayan Calender runs out next year :wink: :wink: :lol:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Today is Num Num Num day! Have a great Thanksgiving Day everybody! :chomp: :b: 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:23 pm

GOBBLE-GOBBLE-GOBBLE :!: :!: :!:

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sun May 20, 2012 1:12 am

My num num num of this evening reminds me of an astronomical object and it was delicious :chomp: :yes:
Attachments
Spinach-cheese-pizza
Spinach-cheese-pizza
Io
Io
Io.png (96.3 KiB) Viewed 5758 times

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
hey beyond; maybe you can use a good wrinkle cream on your tummy! That is if you get it to shrink!!!
Orin, IF i ever get wrinkles on my tummy, i think a few bananna splits would take care of them.A much more 'tasteful' application then wrinkle cream.
Darn beyond; you had to mention banana splits; that gives me the num num nums! :wink: :chomp: :clap: :eyebrows: :yes:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:13 pm

orin stepanek wrote:

orin stepanek wrote:
hey beyond; maybe you can use a good wrinkle cream on your tummy! That is if you get it to shrink!!!
Orin, IF i ever get wrinkles on my tummy, i think a few bananna splits would take care of them.A much more 'tasteful' application then wrinkle cream.
Darn beyond; you had to mention banana splits; that gives me the num num nums! :wink: :chomp: :clap: :eyebrows: :yes:
ha-ha, Orin, we all have the num num nums built in. I just helped to activate yours. :mrgreen:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 am

Num num num! I'm not so fond of milk shakes, because the ones I have had have been too "thick". But yesterday I had one made of fine-quality milk chocolate melted in milk, mixed with ice cubes and fresh strawberries! Num num num!!!!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:43 am

Speaking of num-nums, popcorn, anyone :?: :?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HsTqUhB3HU

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:16 am

This kind of ice cream, called, as you can see, American Spin Cream, was a huge hit at the Malmö Festival recently.

The ice cream was nice enough. (It came in only two flavors, vanilla and chocolate.) But it was when the ice cream was served with a lot of extras that it became heavenly. I chose the "Nut dream". The ice cream was served with whipped cream, a nut-flavored chocolate topping, wafers and lots and lots of nuts. Whole hazelnuts and almond flakes, plus crushed pieces of crunchy nuts. And walnuts! Oh, the walnuts! They were ever so slightly bitter, creamy, crunchy, fruity and juicy.

Goodness me, the ice cream and the topping and the whipped cream and the wafers and the... the.. walnuts!!! Ohhh!!!!

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:46 am

Ann wrote:This kind of ice cream, called, as you can see, American Spin Cream, was a huge hit at the Malmö Festival recently.
That's funny. We call it "soft serve ice cream", and it's generally considered the lowest quality, most popular with kids, and typically served in "sugar cones", which taste similar to cardboard. Flavors are limited (vanilla and chocolate, sometimes strawberry). Toppings are common. This kind of ice cream is very common at carnivals and fairs, since it is easily dispensed.

This is in contrast to high quality ice creams which are hand scooped into various sorts of waffle cones, and offered in a variety of flavors, often fairly exotic ones.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:49 am

ha-ha, sounds like Ann had a good time at the icecream truck removeing any wrinkles from her tummy :!: :yes: :chomp: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:49 am

Beyond wrote:ha-ha, sounds like Ann had a good time at the icecream truck removeing any wrinkles from her tummy :!: :yes: :chomp: :lol2:
My tummy is totally unwrinkled now!

And Chris, we do have high-quality ice cream here too, and I like it... but those places will give you ice cream only. No extras whatsoever.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 am

I actually really like soft serve. There's a lot of ice cream out there that's considered deluxe with all sorts of flavors but there's something so simple and appealing to me about soft serve. I like that it melts into liquid form instead of an odd froth or thick cream. There's something artificial about a lot of so-called high quality ice creams to me. I guess the emulsifiers are ok to an extent but there are some ice creams that don't even melt into a liquid but instead this foam structure that isn't very satisfying and is completely unacceptable to me.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:13 am

geckzilla wrote:I actually really like soft serve.
Tastee Freez and Dairy Queen, childhood icons
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Ann wrote:And Chris, we do have high-quality ice cream here too, and I like it... but those places will give you ice cream only. No extras whatsoever.
I know... the best ice cream I've ever had has always been in Scandinavia. It's always high on my list of things to get when visiting your part of the world. And I never use toppings on ice cream, so don't miss them when they're not provided.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:16 pm

geckzilla wrote:I actually really like soft serve.
Sure, lots of people do. It's good. I just think its funny when a very common, "ungourmet" food from one country shows up in another, and is seen as exceptional. It's not that uncommon, and serves to show how much of our food perception is cultural.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Soft serve ice cream is really popular in Sweden. However, the Swedish variety is so soft that you can't "swirl and twirl" it into high towers. It was the tall and narrow "twisting" shape of the "American spin cream" that made it such a hit.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Ann wrote:Soft serve ice cream is really popular in Sweden. However, the Swedish variety is so soft that you can't "swirl and twirl" it into high towers. It was the tall and narrow "twisting" shape of the "American spin cream" that made it such a hit.
I wasn't sure about that from your original image and description... if this was ordinary soft-serve (possibly unusual in Sweden) or something a bit different. It's pretty common here for soft-serve to be swirled into those high towers- I don't think most people would distinguish between ice cream dispensed that way or just plopped into a sugar cone with a little twist on top.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:10 pm

I finally found a picture of that "spin cream". People around here were amazed. They had never seen anything like it.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Ann wrote:I finally found a picture of that "spin cream". People around here were amazed. They had never seen anything like it.
Well, that is a bit more unusual. I've seen similar, but it isn't common. I can imagine it caught people's attention!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Ann wrote:
I finally found a picture of that "spin cream". People around here were amazed. They had never seen anything like it.

Ann
I've never seen anything quite like it either. Especially the height :!: :!: That is really a lot of Yum-Yums tall :!: :!:
And.... It's chocolate, also! That must be the place where all the chocolate snowmen are hiding! :wink: :lol2:

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Ann wrote:

Ann
Truly a work of art! I hope it's cold enough weatherwise or else someone can eat fast!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:32 am

Ed wrote:
Truly a work of art! I hope it's cold enough weatherwise or else someone can eat fast!
Well, the "spin cream" had to be "built and twisted" manually by a "spin cream machine worker" who was an artist himself, certainly. And the poor guy never seemed to get a moment's rest, because the lines of people waiting for spin ice were always very long.

A four-day heat wave did hit Malmö during the seven days that the the Malmö Festival was on and the spin cream was being sold. On the hottest of those days, when the temperature reached 30.6C (which corresponds to the mid or upper mid 80sF, I think), then the lines of people who wanted to buy the spin cream were longer than ever, the spin cream melted, and the spin cream man went on strike. He had just had it! His boss had to come and spin the cream instead. The spin cream wasn't as tall as usual on that day!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:52 am

One of the best and delicious icecream I ate was in Italy, near Venice.
Back in Germany I asked the icecream cafes which are owned mostly by Italinas, why they don't make it like in Italy, the answer was, that
they had to change the recipe to adjust it to the peoples taste here :shock: which is bad. I think they use less quality ingrendients
because it's cheaper.
And the pizza was a dream too.

The most horrible food experience was in London, when I made a study travel there with my highschool class, the toast bread is tasteless,
and the orange jam is too bitter. It was like living 10 days on diet.
But I liked the old cemetary, "meeting" many famous people though there was less conversation, and the markets where cool.
I liked the open air theater where we watched "The Tempest".

I can't watch people eating animals alive, like fish, octopuss and shrimp.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:03 pm

I had a job making these many years ago at Dairy Queen. That job is where I had a gun pointed at me by a detective early one morning. We were major “house cleaning” at 2 AM and our manager had forgot to tell the local police that we were working odd hours.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.