Flowers Around The House

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Flowers Around The House

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Ha-ha, my Iris' are all gone and the few tiger lillies still around haven't come out yet. Guess i'll have to get to resizing some flower pictures.I have some Big Iris' with up to 44" stems. They're on the east side of the house, so after the sun goes overhead, they start leaning more to the east and end up falling over and getting mowed.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Beyond wrote:Ha-ha, my Iris' are all gone and the few tiger lillies still around haven't come out yet. Guess i'll have to get to resizing some flower pictures.I have some Big Iris' with up to 44" stems. They're on the east side of the house, so after the sun goes overhead, they start leaning more to the east and end up falling over and getting mowed.
Yeah! Some of mine by my shed get really tall and top heavy. They also fall down before they are done blooming. :cry:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey Orin, i discovered i do have another lillie. A pond lillie. Usually the deer eat them all up, but i just noticed that there are a few they missed. :D
IMG_1294-APOD.jpg
I also have a shot of one with the ubiquitous frog on a lillie pad.
IMG_1299-APOD.jpg
Last edited by Beyond on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Beyond wrote:Hey Orin, i discovered i do have another lillie. A pond lillie. Usually the deer eat them all up, but i just noticed that there are a few they missed. :D
You have a lily pond? how nice! 8-) I thought about a pond many years ago but my lot is pretty small! I'm lucky I can fit in a small garden :) I do have some Tomatoes and cucumbers setting on! :) Here is a future beef stake tomato! :D
beef stake tomato flower
beef stake tomato flower
Orin

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm

A Weigela just outside the living room window. It glows too much to get a good photo in sunlight, so I waited until it was shaded a bit. This one replaces a huge old one that had to be removed so we could do some digging. It's about 3 years old now and just hitting its stride. It sits part way down a short steep slope, just above a stone wall we built years ago.
Weigela
Weigela
Rob

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:13 pm

orin wrote: You have a lily pond? How nice! 8-)
It's not really a lily pond,Orin. It's about 25' square, dug out by a backhoe many moons before i arrived. It used to have a tall dead tree about 20' away from it, that the Great Blue Herons would land in before swooping down to do some frognapping. It fell down this winter and the top landed in the pond, so i don't get to see the Herons anymore, but i do get to see the turtles sunning themselves on the tree top. Here's a picture of one.
IMG_1289-APOD.jpg
It also has plenty of these.
IMG_1216-APOD.jpg
And also a few of these water Iris'.
IMG_1212-APOD.jpg
It also has a few deer that wade through the water to eat the water lily bulbs, except for the really small one with the white spots all over. That one spends too much time running around and having fun. :D

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:28 am

Orin, that red lily is gorgeous!

beyond, I have to bike to the lake to see water lilies. Frogs, I sometimes see in my yard, occasionally with a little cat standing over one looking all excited about snacktime. (I haul the cat in when I see this; don't want him dining on little hoppy frogs.) Only once have I seen a box turtle in my yard. I certainly wouldn't mind having more of them around.

I have one orchid in bloom (inside); the others are just sitting in their pots all green with no flowers.

Outside, still lots of black-eyed Susans and dandelions. The daylilies are gone now; blackberries are ripening, though. (The blackberry bushes are volunteers, too.)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Here's a picture of a new kind of plant i discovered in my e-mail this morning. I'm not quite sure what it will look like when it's fully grown and blossemed. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a 'cat-tastrophe'. :lol:
securedownload-potted cat.jpg

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:35 pm

rstevenson wrote:A Weigela just outside the living room window. It glows too much to get a good photo in sunlight, so I waited until it was shaded a bit. This one replaces a huge old one that had to be removed so we could do some digging. It's about 3 years old now and just hitting its stride. It sits part way down a short steep slope, just above a stone wall we built years ago.
Rob
Neat plant Rob!
owlice wrote:Orin, that red lily is gorgeous!

beyond, I have to bike to the lake to see water lilies. Frogs, I sometimes see in my yard, occasionally with a little cat standing over one looking all excited about snacktime. (I haul the cat in when I see this; don't want him dining on little hoppy frogs.) Only once have I seen a box turtle in my yard. I certainly wouldn't mind having more of them around.

I have one orchid in bloom (inside); the others are just sitting in their pots all green with no flowers.

Outside, still lots of black-eyed Susans and dandelions. The daylilies are gone now; blackberries are ripening, though. (The blackberry bushes are volunteers, too.)

Thanks owlice! Actually; it is more of a burgandy in color. My daylilies are just starting to bloom. My blackberrys are just starting to set on. my cucumbers are in full bloom; and I hope to have some slicers soon. :wink:
cucumber bloom
cucumber bloom
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Beyond wrote:Here's a picture of a new kind of plant i discovered in my e-mail this morning. I'm not quite sure what it will look like when it's fully grown and blossemed. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a 'cat-tastrophe'. :lol:
securedownload-potted cat.jpg
:mrgreen: Cats do the darnedest things. 8-) I like the blue Iris near your pond. :)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:00 pm

I like this lilly! Looks like next year there will be quite a few of them as a lot of litle shoots are surounding the larger plants. 8-)
white lily
white lily
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:43 pm

I don't know the name; but they started from a box of mixed flower seeds that I bought one year. these have been coming back ever since. they bloom for a long period and come in different colors. This year they aren't quite as prolific as they usually are. 8-)
IMG_0095.JPG
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I put some marigolds in this year! They tend to have a distinct aroma that sometimes can cause me to sneeze. I placed them around my wishing well which is away from the house, :wink: :?
marigold
marigold
IMG_0092.JPG (33.16 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:31 pm

My impatiens :) My daylilies are now blooming but are the same as Beyond's. 8-) :)
IMG_0101.JPG
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:33 am

Here's something you might not have, Orin. Drumsticks. My computer ate my pictures of when they first popped out when they had pointy tops, so i have to start when they were more rounded.
IMG_1244-APOD.jpg
Here they are half matured. They kinda look like round paint brushes dipped in paint.
IMG_1332-APOD.jpg
Here they are all red.
IMG_1352-APOD.jpg
They look nice and the bees like them too.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:34 am

This one has a little bee on it.
IMG_1353-APOD.jpg

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Beyond wrote:Here's something you might not have, Orin. Drumsticks. Here they are all red.
IMG_1352-APOD.jpg
They look nice and the bees like them too.
8-) Those are very interesting! I saw something like that at a local mall area; but not sure if it was the same thing. :?
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Orin, here's something that you WOULDN'T want to have around your house. They're UGLY! My mother called it a corn plant. It grows about 3-feet tall and has off-shoots kinda like a corn stalk, and little yellow flowers. So i suppose the name 'corn plant' rather fits. I call it a WEED!!
IMG_1372-APOD.jpg

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Beyond wrote: I call it a WEED!!
Well, I must say you're doing a handy job with raising it; it looks very healthy!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Oh, that's called a mullein. My neighbor across the street grows one every year. It looks unsightly until all of the flowers come out and then it looks kind of cool. The proportion of flower stalk to plant on theirs is much greater than in your photo, however. It's easily 3 feet long and the whole plant is almost as tall as me.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:48 am

Beyond wrote:Orin, here's something that you WOULDN'T want to have around your house. They're UGLY! My mother called it a corn plant. It grows about 3-feet tall and has off-shoots kinda like a corn stalk, and little yellow flowers. So i suppose the name 'corn plant' rather fits. I call it a WEED!!
IMG_1372-APOD.jpg
It looks like a milkweed!Other varieties look Pretty!There is 250 types according to wikipedia 8-)
The Mulleins (sg. pronounced /ˈmʌlɨn/,[1] genus Verbascum, /vɜrˈbæskəm/;[2] also known as velvet plants) are a genus of about 250 species of flowering plants in the figwort family (Scrophulariaceae). They are native to Europe and Asia, with the highest species diversity in the Mediterranean region.
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:06 am

owlice wrote:
Beyond wrote: I call it a WEED!!
Well, I must say you're doing a handy job with raising it; it looks very healthy!
Ha-ha, the only care i give it, is that it is out of range of the mower deck. This is the first time in all the years that i have seen them that there are off-shoots.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am

I think this is called Queen Ann's lace. This one has 4-little bees on it.
IMG_1368-APOD.jpg
After a hard days work of making pollen to feed the little bees, it nods off and goes to sleep.
IMG_1384-APOD.jpg

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:04 am

beyond, yes, that is Queen Anne's lace; it's in the carrot family. That was my grandmother's favorite flower; I think of her every time I see this wildflower.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:49 pm

The carrot family :?: :?: But there's not a bit of orange in it :!: :lol: