Flowers Around The House

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Flowers Around The House

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Beyond wrote:This one has 4-little bees on it.
Those are actually flies. They do try to imitate the coloration of bees a little bit but these particular ones aren't doing a very good job. There are some impressive bee mimics out there but if you watch them enough you'll learn not to be fooled. Even if you can't get a close look, they actually move significantly different from real bees. Of course, they are happy you think they are bees and avoid touching them since they don't actually have the stinger to back it up. :ssmile:
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Why those sneaky little devils.....
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:32 pm

Beyond wrote:Why those sneaky little devils.....
I really haven't seen too many bees this year. Last year a lot of bumble bees were always in my garden. I haven't seen them either. :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:26 pm

We have a hydrangea plant in the front yard. It's doing great this year; it usually ends up shriveled and burnt but we've had such a cool wet spring and summer that it has escaped its normal fate. It is in full sun - on hot days it ends up getting damaged. Same with the vine maple next to it.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 pm

I found this little flower growing at the bottom of my back steps and didn't have the heart to pull it out. I just decided to let it bloom there. :D
lonely petunia.jpg
Kind of reminded me of an old song; but at least it doesn't have to worry about onions. :mrgreen:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7soxUKX ... re=related[/youtube]
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 pm

I almost forgot about these until they decided to shoot out of the ground and bloom! 8-) :D
surprise lily A.jpg
surprise lilly B.jpg
Orin

eleanormars
Ensign

Post by eleanormars » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:07 am

oh those are beautiful! i wish i had a garden. i just have a pathetic little window facing the common court towards which all the flats have their windows facing at...brilliant...

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:50 pm

This came from a box of mixed flower seeds; I believe it is a Daisy but am not sure. 8-)
flowers 001.jpg
flowers 002.jpg
flowers 002.jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Looks just like the 'spanish' daisys that used to grow around my place, except that yours is all yellow. If i remember correctly, the spanish daisys have red petals with yellow tips. Keep on eye on them every year. One year i noticed that the petals were grouping in 2's & 3's. The next year they grouped up to 4. the year after that, they grouped up to 7. Sometime after that, most of them just disappeared. I think i remember seeing a small scragly looking plant around here somewhere this year. Once all the Tiger Lillies hit about 6-ft in height, for about 2-3 years, i forget exactly, they all disappeared also. For the last couple of years I've only had a few sorry looking, about 1-ft high plants scattered here and there.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Beyond wrote:Looks just like the 'spanish' daisys that used to grow around my place, except that yours is all yellow. If i remember correctly, the spanish daisys have red petals with yellow tips. Keep on eye on them every year. One year i noticed that the petals were grouping in 2's & 3's. The next year they grouped up to 4. the year after that, they grouped up to 7. Sometime after that, most of them just disappeared. I think i remember seeing a small scragly looking plant around here somewhere this year. Once all the Tiger Lillies hit about 6-ft in height, for about 2-3 years, i forget exactly, they all disappeared also. For the last couple of years I've only had a few sorry looking, about 1-ft high plants scattered here and there.
I have a couple of lilies that are quite high. I hope I don't lose them but you never know. :roll: I just recently dug up my flower beds and reset the bulbs. Most of the flowers seem to like the looser soil. 8-)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:56 pm

And now my wife's hostas are in bloom! :D
hosta in bloom
hosta in bloom
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Orin, I'm reminded of a friend whose mother loved the foliage of the hosta, but not the flowers, so while growing up, my friend and his brother were dispatched each blooming season to cut all the flowers from the hostas; this is in contrast to my first husband, who liked the flowers, but didn't like the foliage.

I think some people just shouldn't have hostas!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 pm

owlice wrote:Orin, I'm reminded of a friend whose mother loved the foliage of the hosta, but not the flowers, so while growing up, my friend and his brother were dispatched each blooming season to cut all the flowers from the hostas; this is in contrast to my first husband, who liked the flowers, but didn't like the foliage.

I think some people just shouldn't have hostas!!
I think Hostas make a great ground cover as the foliage is around for most of the growing season. They also do well in shady areas where other flowers don't do well. They are super easy to care for also! :wink: :D
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Orin, your wife's hostas are lovely! :D (And blue, so let me give them a green smile!) :mrgreen:

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks Ann!
Ahh! :? Then there's my mums! I had 4 different colors but 2 of them died out over tbe winter. Only one is just starting to bloom.
mums.jpg
mums.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Tahesre flowers haven't bloomed yet! Th stem is over 5 foot tall so I tied them up as it is supposed to get quite windy today.
fall 004.jpg
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Haven't Bloomed yet :?: :?: Do they know what time of year this is :?: Ya mean those dark things at the end of the stems are buds :?: Orin, you got some 'splainin' to do :!:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:56 am

Orin, master gardener! Here in Sweden autumn has suddenly come with a vengeance. It doesn't feel as if there will be that many more splendid flowers here this year (although there will probably be some not-so-splendid flowers until mid-November or so).

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Beyond wrote:Haven't Bloomed yet :?: :?: Do they know what time of year this is :?: Ya mean those dark things at the end of the stems are buds :?: Orin, you got some 'splainin' to do :!:
I don't even know what they are called! I got them in a box of mixed varieties from my friendly WM store. I'll try to get a photo of them as soon as they open!
Ann wrote:Orin, master gardener! Here in Sweden autumn has suddenly come with a vengeance. It doesn't feel as if there will be that many more splendid flowers here this year (although there will probably be some not-so-splendid flowers until mid-November or so).

Ann
Thanks; but I just let Mother Nature do her thing. :D My Marigolds Hollyhocks and Impatiens are still blooming. 8-)
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Orin, that's a lovely yellow "mum"(?). In British and Australian English, "mum" means "mom"! :mrgreen: In Swedish we would call these flowers dahlias. :D (One dahlia, many dahlias - or, to be more specific, "många dahlior"!) :D

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Ann wrote:Orin, that's a lovely yellow "mum"(?). In British and Australian English, "mum" means "mom"! :mrgreen: In Swedish we would call these flowers dahlias. :D (One dahlia, many dahlias - or, to be more specific, "många dahlior"!) :D

Ann
Thanks Ann! :) I had 4 different colors but they got hit hard over the last winter.
orin stepanek wrote:
I don't even know what they are called! I got them in a box of mixed varieties from my friendly WM store. I'll try to get a photo of them as soon as they open!
And here it is in bloom! That's the roof of my wishing well in the background. :D 8-)
posies 001.jpg
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 am

That's a lovely flower, Orin! :D
Why not put some coins in your wishing well and hope you'll have more of them (the flowers, I mean, not the coins - but you don't have to say no to a few more coins!) :wink: :D

Coins are good! (And flowers, too, even if Uncle Scrooge hasn't discovered the charm of them!)

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:00 am

Uncle Scrooge is toooo busy playing in the pressed goldie chunks. Their smell is intoxicating to him. And no bees, except for the ocasional Beagle boy. :mrgreen:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm

More are blooming now! Just in time to beat the first frost. :D
posies.jpg
posies.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Are they cosmos? That's what they look like to me.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.