Music Thread.

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Music Thread.

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 am

owlice wrote:Beyond, I watched the video; my son, also sitting here in the living room with his laptop, said the singer "still sounds like a Smurf." This (amused and) surprised me, so I asked him, "Do you know who this singer is?" "Yes.... Neil Young." :-D "No," said I. "Oh god... you means there's another one who sounds like a Smurf??"
I have no idea what a smurf sounds like, but I'm guessing it isn't a compliment.

John Denver is great... one of those singers whose songs define a place and time. But to not appreciate Neil Young seems to me as indicative of a lack of musical aptitude or experience as not appreciating any of the Bachs...
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 am

Owlice, is he listening to death metal? My brother listens to that. I've heard him try to sing before and I'm not sure exactly what it means to be tone deaf but I think he might be.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 am

There's only a few singers and genres I can't listen to. Mostly I like all kinds of music, from Bach to Death Metal. But I'm afraid Mr. Denver is one of those that grates on my ears, along with Carly Simon, Duran Duran, and a few others.

So -- to attempt to drag this back on topic -- one star I won't see tonight, in the sky or anywhere else, is John Denver. But I'm patiently waiting for Andromeda to push its way up out of the trees, on this, one of the few clear-sky nights I've had here this year.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:37 am

Sorry Rob, could you edit your post and repost that in the sky tonight thread? I went ahead and moved the conversation where it belonged.

I like Denver's lyrics and the music itself is alright though it doesn't exactly tickle my fancy, either. As for death or black metal I haven't yet settled my own internal debate on whether I should consider it music. I hate to be bigoted and refuse to allow it to be classified as such just because I don't like it, but... it's just so... argh! Yeah, grating on one's ears is a mild way of putting it.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:34 am

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 am

A-A-A-A-A-AY, Fred. :thumb_up: :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:38 pm

:D :mrgreen: :lol2: :wink: :thumb_up:
This is for that little kid in us! :shock:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:52 pm

My kid is a bit different. :lol2:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Whenever we sang that in class or whenever, I kinda thought his name really was my name too. Last name, anyway. Wouldn't mind my middle name being Jingleheimer.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:17 am

A little bit of gamer culture for you guys. This music is so epic you should want to jump out of your chair, don some armor, and find a dragon to slay by the end of it.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:03 am

The music is a bit bland. It's just missing... something.
As for armor, Conan don't need no stinkin armor :!: :no:

Thanks for reminding me to catch up on Conan movies I've missed.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:31 am

Your face is bland.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:39 am

Most people's are.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:34 pm

You should probably try switching it to 1080p. I know that's odd because it's not video but for Youtube the audio is affected as well. Anyway, I have tried to figure out what you could possibly mean by "bland" and I simply can't. In the same message you compare it to the Conan soundtrack, which is also anything but bland. I can only conclude that you wrote that to try to get some reaction out of me.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

geckzilla wrote:You should probably try switching it to 1080p. I know that's odd because it's not video but for Youtube the audio is affected as well. Anyway, I have tried to figure out what you could possibly mean by "bland" and I simply can't. In the same message you compare it to the Conan soundtrack, which is also anything but bland. I can only conclude that you wrote that to try to get some reaction out of me.
Not at all, dear sweet ninja gecko with the big Admin hat. I would say that whenever I've encountered Conan music, it's been in the movie whilst it's going on, usually when Arnold's flexing his muscles against an adversary, or getting ready to, so there's a flow of action that goes along with it, that gives it a Pazzzzzaz that what you posted, just doesn't have, with it's still, stagnant picture. Either that, or i was more impressed by Arnold, years ago. Maybe both. It all just seems to run together now-a-daze.

Going to 1080p doesn't change anything as far as i can tell.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Beyond wrote:Not at all, dear sweet ninja gecko with the big Admin hat.
You're so awkward sometimes.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:26 pm

geckzilla wrote:A little bit of gamer culture for you guys. This music is so epic you should want to jump out of your chair, don some armor, and find a dragon to slay by the end of it.
Seems like a mash-up of Karl Orff and John Williams, with a bit of Wagnerian spice tossed in.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:54 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:A little bit of gamer culture for you guys. This music is so epic you should want to jump out of your chair, don some armor, and find a dragon to slay by the end of it.
Seems like a mash-up of Karl Orff and John Williams, with a bit of Wagnerian spice tossed in.
Hey, did you read his Wikipedia entry? ;) (I admit I'm terrible at music. I can rarely pick out classical influences.)
Soule's greatest musical influences are "Debussy's exploration of harmony", "Wagner's grand operas", and "Mozart's form and composition". While many of his orchestral works are based on movie scores in terms of scope, he does not often listen to movie scores, though he names his favorite composer as John Williams.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:07 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Hey, did you read his Wikipedia entry? ;) (I admit I'm terrible at music. I can rarely pick out classical influences.)
Soule's greatest musical influences are "Debussy's exploration of harmony", "Wagner's grand operas", and "Mozart's form and composition". While many of his orchestral works are based on movie scores in terms of scope, he does not often listen to movie scores, though he names his favorite composer as John Williams.
Didn't see that. Can't say I hear much Debussy or Mozart in the sample provided. But I'm not much good at detecting influences, either, except when they hit me over the head.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:27 pm

He's done a lot of scores, so this one doesn't necessarily include those. One of the pieces for the Skyrim soundtrack is apparently also a Swedish children's song which is reportedly an odd thing to encounter while playing the game if you are a Swede but goes unnoticed as just another background song for anyone else.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:02 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Beyond wrote:Not at all, dear sweet ninja gecko with the big Admin hat.
You're so awkward sometimes.
Sometimes :?: ::note to self... must try harder!::

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 am

What I'm listening to right now...

Common Tones in Simple Time by John Adams. I can't tell who's performing this one at YouTube, but the one I'm listening to is performed by Edo de Waart, John Adams and the San Francisco Symphony. It's gently rythmic and very listenable.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:27 am

Very minimalist, Rob.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Nine-year-old sings opera, or Holland got's talent.
Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
owlice wrote:Beyond, I watched the video; my son, also sitting here in the living room with his laptop, said the singer "still sounds like a Smurf." This (amused and) surprised me, so I asked him, "Do you know who this singer is?" "Yes.... Neil Young." :-D "No," said I. "Oh god... you means there's another one who sounds like a Smurf??"
I have no idea what a smurf sounds like, but I'm guessing it isn't a compliment.

John Denver is great... one of those singers whose songs define a place and time. But to not appreciate Neil Young seems to me as indicative of a lack of musical aptitude or experience as not appreciating any of the Bachs...
Oh, I haven't checked this thread in so long... Sounding like a smurf is definitely not a compliment!! :lol2: He appreciates Bach and plays guitar, built a mountain dulcimer and plays it, and has taken hammered dulcimer, bagpipe, and percussion lessons. Not appreciating Neil Young, though... just do not get that at all.

John Denver's music mostly all sounds the same, and I say this as someone who really likes the music. And I love his voice; such a sweet, smooth high tenor, and all in my range! :D
geckzilla wrote:Owlice, is he listening to death metal? My brother listens to that. I've heard him try to sing before and I'm not sure exactly what it means to be tone deaf but I think he might be.
I don't know how the Finnish growling over a drumbeat would be classified, except by me: Bad. Not music. Awful.
rstevenson wrote:Common Tones in Simple Time by John Adams.
Adams I don't have... off to Amazon.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.