Intriguing science findings - not spacey

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Intriguing science findings - not spacey

Post by Beyond » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 am

geckzilla wrote:This is getting pretty ridiculous. Even though we know a lot about how life began on Earth, the details are pretty sketchy. This guy is taking one small problem and asserting that because oxidized molybdenum was probably not present on Earth but it probably was on Mars ...ergo life came from Mars. That's a pretty BIG leap in logic there, don't you think? Wouldn't it be much more likely that a rock which was knocked off Mars then traveled to Earth and brought this oxidized molybdenum to our planet, where it could have then been utilized? I think the article could be more appropriately titled "Earth Life May Have Had Help From Mars"

Meanwhile, at Wikipedia...
I may have benefited from that 'knocked-off' Martian rock. I've got a set of drills (29) that are made from HI-Molybdenum steel. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:12 am

funny, I admit I only read the NASA link above a little bit actually. I noticed NASA is still looking and hasn't made a any big leap of faith yet. That should mean something. When NASA jumps, then we yell Hooray!
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:38 am

We probably needed A LOT OF HELP along the way too.
I just happen to come across this related article tonight.
tried to speed read it, it's very interesting.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... exist.html
Four Reasons You Shouldn’t Exist
Physics says you’re an impurity in an otherwise beautiful universe.
You’re almost unfathomably lucky to exist, in almost every conceivable way. Don’t take it the wrong way. You, me, and even the most calming manatee are nothing but impurities in an otherwise beautifully simple universe.
The history of physics, in fact, is a marvel of using simple symmetry principles to construct complicated laws of the universe. Einstein quite famously was able to construct his entire theory of special relativity—the idea that ultimately gave us E=mc2 and explained the heat of the sun—from nothing more than the simple idea that there was no measurable distinction to be made between observers at rest and observers in uniform motion.

The long-overlooked 20th-century mathematician Emmy Noether proved the centrality of symmetry as a physical principle. And what is symmetry—at least as scientists understand it? The mathematician Hermann Weyl gave perhaps the most succinct definition:

“A thing is symmetrical if there is something you can do to it so that after you have finished doing it, it looks the same as before.”

Which sounds innocuous enough until you realize that if the entire universe were made symmetric, then all of the good features (e.g., you) are decidedly asymmetric lumps that ruin the otherwise perfect beauty of the cosmos.

The seemingly simple idea that the laws of the universe are the same everywhere in space and time turns out to yield justification for long-observed properties of the universe, like Newton’s first law of motion (“An object in motion stays in motion,” etc.) and first law of thermodynamics (the conservation of energy).

As the Nobel laureate Phil Anderson put it:
“It is only slightly overstating the case to say that physics is the study of symmetry.”
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Aquifers Discovered in Drought-Ridden Kenya
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/world ... .html?_r=0
Radar Technologies International, the natural resources exploration firm that discovered the aquifers, said that they contained “a minimum reserve of 250 billion cubic meters of water,” and that rainfall in Kenya and Uganda refilled them with about 3.4 billion cubic meters annually.

Unesco described the find as a scientific triumph and one that it hoped to replicate elsewhere. “We will continue to support Africa to unlock the full potential of its invisible water wealth,” Ms. Kalonji said.
precious water we certainly need more of.

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Skin Cancer: New Drugs 'Can Cure' Disease

Post by wonderboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 am

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

kingtecsolar
Asternaut

Post by kingtecsolar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am

MargaritaMc wrote:
According to The Telegraph,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... chine.html

And the date really ISN'T April first...
I don't think its a time machine...its only something like crystal ball magic. What I loved the most in this article is "The reason that we are not launching our prototype at this stage is that the Chinese will steal the idea and produce it in millions overnight." :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm

it reminded me of the 8 Ball.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:31 am

Nuclear fusion milestone passed at U.S. lab. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24429621

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:04 am

TED 2013: 4D objects 'make themselves'. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21614176

There's no way to transfer this video here. Only the picture.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

NIF-T keen!

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ignition_Facility wrote:
<<The National Ignition Facility, or NIF, is a large, laser-based inertial confinement fusion (ICF) research device located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California, USA. NIF uses powerful lasers to heat and compress a small amount of hydrogen fuel to the point where nuclear fusion reactions take place. NIF is the largest and most energetic ICF device built to date and the largest laser in the world. NIF was completed five years behind schedule and was almost four times more expensive than originally budgeted. The first large-scale laser target experiments were performed in June 2009 and the first "integrated ignition experiments" (which tested the laser's power) were declared completed in October 2010. NIF was used as the set for the starship Enterprise's warp core in the movie Star Trek Into Darkness.

On July 5, 2012, the NIF system delivered more than 500 trillion watts (terawatts or TW) of peak power and 1.85 megajoules (MJ) of ultraviolet laser light to its target. "The 500 TW shot is an extraordinary accomplishment by the NIF Team, creating unprecedented conditions in the laboratory that hitherto only existed deep in stellar interiors," said Dr. Richard Petrasso. "Already the most incredibly tightly controlled and most energetic laser in the world, it is remarkable that NIF has achieved the 500 TW milestone," said Dr. Raymond Jeanloz, professor of astronomy and earth and planetary science at the University of California, Berkeley. "This breakthrough will give us incredible new opportunities in studying materials at extreme conditions."

As of October 7, 2013, this facility is the first to achieve a net gain from a fusion reaction.>>
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander

Re: NIF-T keen!

Post by wonderboy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:20 pm

neufer wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ignition_Facility wrote:
<<The National Ignition Facility, or NIF, is a large, laser-based inertial confinement fusion (ICF) research device located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California, USA. NIF uses powerful lasers to heat and compress a small amount of hydrogen fuel to the point where nuclear fusion reactions take place. NIF is the largest and most energetic ICF device built to date and the largest laser in the world. NIF was completed five years behind schedule and was almost four times more expensive than originally budgeted. The first large-scale laser target experiments were performed in June 2009 and the first "integrated ignition experiments" (which tested the laser's power) were declared completed in October 2010. NIF was used as the set for the starship Enterprise's warp core in the movie Star Trek Into Darkness.

On July 5, 2012, the NIF system delivered more than 500 trillion watts (terawatts or TW) of peak power and 1.85 megajoules (MJ) of ultraviolet laser light to its target. "The 500 TW shot is an extraordinary accomplishment by the NIF Team, creating unprecedented conditions in the laboratory that hitherto only existed deep in stellar interiors," said Dr. Richard Petrasso. "Already the most incredibly tightly controlled and most energetic laser in the world, it is remarkable that NIF has achieved the 500 TW milestone," said Dr. Raymond Jeanloz, professor of astronomy and earth and planetary science at the University of California, Berkeley. "This breakthrough will give us incredible new opportunities in studying materials at extreme conditions."

As of October 7, 2013, this facility is the first to achieve a net gain from a fusion reaction.>>

I didnt realise Thor was such a small chap, if you go by his Hammer here!

Paul.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:36 pm

First Evidence of Comet Strike Found.
http://blogs.voanews.com/science-world/ ... ike-found/

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:51 am

The Syllable Everyone Recognizes

By Jennifer Schuessler
Published: November 8, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/09/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
Are there words that are universally understood, across all countries and cultures? A team of linguists has proposed one: “huh.”
Huh?
Say what?!
here are a few more I could think of. There not as "universal" tho'
hmm, grrr, harumph, eh?, ugh, tsk, shh, Ow! ...

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 am

mjimih wrote:The Syllable Everyone Recognizes

By Jennifer Schuessler
Are there words that are universally understood, across all countries and cultures? A team of linguists has proposed one: “huh.”
Huh?
Scientifically proven: we are united in our lack of understanding of one another.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:32 am

Nitpicker wrote:Scientifically proven: we are united in our lack of understanding of one another.
Huh? It don't take no fancie sighentist ta no that :!: :no:

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 am

I'm going to use "'huh?" more from now on when replying to people who are hard to figure or annoying. It's a way to get back on a level playing field.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:57 pm

mjimih wrote:I'm going to use "'huh?" more from now on when replying to people who are hard to figure or annoying. It's a way to get back on a level playing field.
Huh?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:43 pm

mjimih wrote:The Syllable Everyone Recognizes

By Jennifer Schuessler
Huh?
Say what?!
here are a few more I could think of. There not as "universal" tho'
hmm, grrr, harumph, eh?, ugh, tsk, shh, Ow! ...

uhhhhh Can we add LOL.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Careful with LOL, if used in jest, 1 could be accused of LOL-y-gagging

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 pm

"OK" then? :mrgreen:

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Ha ha ha! :lol2: Laughter is also universal. Some might argue that laughter is not linguistic. To them I would say "Huh? You're wrong!"

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:38 am

Nitpicker

Ha! Could also be; he he he or Santa's Ho ho ho. I think your right, you found the most universal one of all! The researcher might not of had a big sense of humor.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:42 am

mjimih wrote:Nitpicker

Ha! Could also be; he he he or Santa's Ho ho ho. I think your right, you found the most universal one of all! The researcher might not of had a big sense of humor.
Now all I need is a degree in science. And before anyone says anything, I'd like to offer a pre-emptive "sorry" for that joke.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

As the Worm Turns.

Post by neufer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:52 pm

http://www.universetoday.com/106968/could-particle-spooky-action-define-the-nature-of-gravity/#more-106968 wrote: Could Particle ‘Spooky Action’ Define The Nature Of Gravity?
by Elizabeth Howell, Universe Today, December 5, 2013

<<Quantum physics is a fascinating yet complicated subject to understand, and one of the things that freaks out every physics student is the concept of entanglement. That occurs when physicists attempt to measure the state of a particle and that affects the state of another particle instantly. (In reality, the particles are in multiple states — spinning in multiple directions, for example — and can only be said to be in one state or another when they are measured.) “Spooky action at a distance” is how Albert Einstein reportedly referred to it. Here’s the new bit about this: Julian Sonner, a senior postdoctoral researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, led research showing that when two of quarks are created, string theory creates a wormhole linking the quarks.

According to MIT, this could help researchers better understand the link between gravity (which takes place on a large scale) to quantum mechanics (which takes place on a very tiny scale). As MIT puts it, up to now it’s been very hard for physicists to “explain gravity in quantum-mechanical terms”, giving rise to a preoccupation of coming up with a single unifying theory for the universe. No luck yet, but many people believe it exists. “There are some hard questions of quantum gravity we still don’t understand, and we’ve been banging our heads against these problems for a long time,” Sonner stated. “We need to find the right inroads to understanding these questions.”

Quantum entanglement sounds so foreign to our experience because it appears to exceed the speed of light, which violates Einstein’s general relativity. Anyway, this is how the new research proceeded: Sonner examined the work of Juan Maldacena of the Institute for Advanced Study and Leonard Susskind of Stanford University. The physicists were looking at how entangled black holes would behave. “When the black holes were entangled, then pulled apart, the theorists found that what emerged was a wormhole — a tunnel through space-time that is thought to be held together by gravity. The idea seemed to suggest that, in the case of wormholes, gravity emerges from the more fundamental phenomenon of entangled black holes,” MIT stated.

Sonner then set about to create quarks to see if he could watch what happens when two are entangled with each other. Using an electric field, he was able to catch pairs of particles coming out of a vacuum environment with a few “transient” particles in it. Once he caught the particles, he mapped them in terms of space-time (four-dimensional space). Note: gravity is believed to be the fifth dimension because it can bend space-time, as you can see in these images of galaxies below.

Sonner then tried to figure out what would happen in the fifth dimension when quarks were entangled in the fourth dimension, using a string theory concept called holographic duality. “While a hologram is a two-dimensional object, it contains all the information necessary to represent a three-dimensional view. Essentially, holographic duality is a way to derive a more complex dimension from the next lowest dimension,” MIT stated. And it was under holographic duality that Sonner found a wormhole would be created. The implication is that gravity itself may come out of entanglement of these particles, and that the bending we see in the universe would also be due to the entanglement. “It’s the most basic representation yet that we have where entanglement gives rise to some sort of geometry,” Sonner stated. “What happens if some of this entanglement is lost, and what happens to the geometry? There are many roads that can be pursued, and in that sense, this work can turn out to be very helpful.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 pm

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669799/mit ... ating-orbs
MIT Creates Amazing UI From Levitating Orbs

It’s more than some parlor trick; this demo could be the future of user interface.

Spock:"Fascinating."