Google Doodle

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Google Doodle

Post by owlice » Wed May 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Today's is fabulous!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Google Doodle

Post by neufer » Wed May 08, 2013 3:51 pm

While remembering Saul Bass (May 8, 1920 – April 25, 1996)
we shouldn't forget "Ray" Harryhausen (June 29, 1920 – May 7, 2013)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Harryhausen wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<Raymond Frederick "Ray" Harryhausen was an American visual effects creator, writer, and producer who lived in London, England, from 1960 until his death in 2013. He created a brand of stop-motion model animation known as "Dynamation." His most important works include the animation on Mighty Joe Young, with pioneer Willis H. O'Brien, which won the Academy Award for special effects (1949); The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, his first color film; and Jason and the Argonauts, featuring a famous sword fight against seven skeleton warriors.

Harryhausen draws a distinction between films that combine special effects animation with live action, and films that are completely animated, such as the films of Tim Burton, Nick Park, Henry Selick, Ivo Caprino, Ladislav Starevich and many others (including his own fairy tale shorts) which he sees as pure "puppet films", and which are more accurately (and traditionally) called "puppet animation". In most of Harryhausen's films, model animated characters interact with, and are a part of, the live action world, with the idea that they will cease to call attention to themselves as "animation."

Harryhausen's last film was Clash of the Titans, released in 1981. In 2009, he released colorized DVD versions of three of his classic black and white Columbia films (20 Million Miles to Earth, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, and It Came from Beneath the Sea) and of She, in tribute to its producer Merian C. Cooper (who had also done King Kong).>>
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed May 08, 2013 7:03 pm

So, Art, what did you think of today's Google Doodle?

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm

owlice wrote:
So, Art, what did you think of today's Google Doodle?
I recognized all but 1 (or maybe 2) references.

Why were YOU so impressed by it?
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu May 09, 2013 4:06 am

I thought it a clever homage.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm

neufer wrote:Why were YOU so impressed by it?
I like Dave Brubeck!
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu May 09, 2013 4:00 pm

bystander wrote:
neufer wrote:
Why were YOU so impressed by it?
I like Dave Brubeck!

Code: Select all

Saul Bass             (May 8, 1920 – April 25, 1996)
"Ray" Harryhausen   (June 29, 1920 – May 7, 2013) 
"Dave" Brubeck   (December 6, 1920 – December 5, 2012)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brubeck wrote:
<<David Warren "Dave" Brubeck was born in the San Francisco Bay. His father, Peter Howard "Pete" Brubeck, was a cattle rancher, and his mother, Elizabeth (née Ivey), who had studied piano in England under Myra Hess and intended to become a concert pianist, taught piano for extra money. Brubeck originally did not intend to become a musician (his two older brothers, Henry and Howard, were already on that track), but took lessons from his mother. He could not read music during these early lessons, attributing this difficulty to poor eyesight, but "faked" his way through, well enough that this deficiency went mostly unnoticed. Intending to work with his father on their ranch, Brubeck entered the College of the Pacific in Stockton, California, studying veterinary science. He changed to music on the urging of the head of zoology, Dr. Arnold, who told him "Brubeck, your mind's not here. It's across the lawn in the conservatory. Please go there. Stop wasting my time and yours." Later, Brubeck was nearly expelled when one of his professors discovered that he could not read music. Several of his professors came forward, arguing that his ability with counterpoint and harmony more than compensated. The college was still afraid that it would cause a scandal, and agreed to let Brubeck graduate only after he had promised never to teach piano.>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doodle wrote:
<<A doodle is an unfocused or unconscious drawing made while a person's attention is otherwise occupied. Doodles are simple drawings that can have concrete representational meaning or may just be abstract shapes.

Stereotypical examples of doodling are found in school notebooks, often in the margins, drawn by students daydreaming or losing interest during class. Other common examples of doodling are produced during long telephone conversations if a pen and paper are available.

The word doodle first appeared in the early 17th century to mean a fool or simpleton. It may derive from the German Dudeltopf or Dudeldop, meaning simpleton or noodle (literally "nightcap").

The meaning "fool, simpleton" is intended in the song title "Yankee Doodle", originally sung by British colonial troops prior to the American Revolutionary War. This is also the origin of the early 18th century verb to doodle, meaning "to swindle or to make a fool of". The modern meaning emerged in the 1930s either from this meaning or from the verb "to dawdle", which since the 17th century has had the meaning of wasting time or being lazy.

In the Gary Cooper movie Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Mr. Deeds mentions that "doodle" was a word made up to describe scribblings to help a person think. According to the DVD audio commentary track, the word as used in this sense was invented by screenwriter Robert Riskin.>>
------------------------------------------------------------
Finnegans Wake p.332 (8th 100 letter thunder word)
Snip snap snoody. Noo err historyend goody. Of a lil trip trap and a
big treeskooner for he put off the ketyl and they made *three* (for
fie!) and if hec dont love alpy then lad you annoy me. For hanigen
with hunigen still haunt ahunt to finnd their hinnigen where -

PappappapparrassannuaragheallachNatullaghmOnganmac
ma
CmacwhackfAlltherdebBlenonthedubblandaddydoodled

"BACON" gematria cipher: #33
"FRANCIS BACON" gematria cipher: #100

{Cipher starts on the #33rd letter of #100 letters}
_____ <= 10 x 10 =>

Code: Select all

. P  a  p  p  a  p  p  a  p  p
. a  r  r  a  s  s  a  n  n  u
. a  r  a  g  h  e  a  l  l  a
. c  h [N] a  t  u  l  l  a  g
. h  m [O] n  g  a  n  m  a  c
. m  a [C] m  a  c  w  h  a  c
. k {F}[A] l  l  t  h  e  r  d
. e {B}[B] l  e  n  o  n  t  h
. e  d  u  b  b  l  a  n  d  a
. d  d  y  d  o  o  d  l  e  d
Prob. of [BACON] in one of FW's 10 perfect 100 letter thunder word 10 x 10 arrays: ~ 1 in 855
and anruly person creeked a JEST.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 pm

test
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Today's Google Doodle is Nils Hogersson, a Swedish early 20th century naughty boy who is shrunk to the size of a gårdstomte for his sins. He gets to ride on the back of the goose Akka who takes him flying all over Sweden and learn a lot of good and useful things that he didn't know before. When he finally returns home, he has become a good boy! :D :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Hmm... must be just for Sweden. I don't have a Google Doodle today. I miss out on getting goosed. Maybe because I'm a 'good boy' to begin with :?: :mrgreen:

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Beyond wrote:
Hmm... must be just for Sweden. I don't have a Google Doodle today.
I miss out on getting goosed. Maybe because I'm a 'good boy' to begin with :?: :mrgreen:
So you say. (I'm thinking a gaggle of Google geese might be required.)
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Beyond wrote:Hmm... must be just for Sweden. I don't have a Google Doodle today. I miss out on getting goosed. Maybe because I'm a 'good boy' to begin with :?: :mrgreen:
http://google.se
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Ann wrote:
Today's Google Doodle is Nils Hogersson, a Swedish early 20th century naughty boy who is shrunk to the size of a gårdstomte for his sins. He gets to ride on the back of the goose Akka who takes him flying all over Sweden and learn a lot of good and useful things that he didn't know before. When he finally returns home, he has become a good boy! :D :wink:
Hmm... must be just for Sweden. I don't have a Google Doodle today.
I miss out on getting goosed. Maybe because I'm a 'good boy' to begin with :?: :mrgreen:
http://google.se
  • Old Mother Goose, when
    She wanted to wander,
    Would ride through the air
    On a very fine gander.
    Mother Goose had a house,
    'T was built in a wood,
    Where an owl at the door
    For sentinel stood.
    She had a son Jack,
    A plain-looking lad;
    He was not very good,
    Nor yet very bad.
    She sent him to market,
    A live goose he bought:
    "Here! mother," says he,
    "It will not go for nought."
    Jack's goose and her gander
    Grew very fond;
    They'd both eat together,
    Or swim in one pond.
    Jack found one morning,
    As I have been told,
    His goose had laid him
    An egg of pure gold.
    Jack rode to his mother,
    The news for to tell.
    She called him a good boy,
    And said it was well..
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Young Neufer Moose, when
He wants his recess,
Will swim o'er the sea
Or on Asterisk, digress.
Neufer Moose has a mouse,
'T is held in his hands,
For an owl at the door
As sentinel stands.
Owl has a tall son,
A fine-looking lad;
He is not always good,
Nor yet very bad.
She sends him to Neufer,
A moose cow he brought:
"Here! Neufer," says he,
"She will not go for nought."
Art's bull and his cow's pies
Grow very rank;
They're piling up deep!
It's another Art prank!
Owl finds one morning,
As Starshippers tell,
The craft needs cleaning
To get rid of the smell!
Owl hands the Moose Neufer
A scrub brush and bucket,
Just as Art refuses
And tells her to ... keep it clean.

Yes, yes... I'm going to my room right this instant; no need to push!

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
owlice wrote:
Neufer Moose has a mouse,
'T is held in his hands,
For an owl at the door
As sentinel stands.
More of a flying squirrel than a mouse.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Image U 2 :!:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:30 pm

neufer wrote:More of a flying squirrel than a mouse.
Oh, that never occurred to me, darn it!!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Hmmm. Maybe, just maybe, you might be able to see Nils Holgersson-Google-Doodle here.

Today is the 155th birthday of Selma Lagerlöf, who wrote the book(s) about Nils.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Ann wrote:Hmmm. Maybe, just maybe, you might be able to see Nils Holgersson-Google-Doodle here.

Today is the 155th birthday of Selma Lagerlöf, who wrote the book(s) about Nils.

Ann
Yup. It looks like the same one The Abominable Snowman posted up the page aways.
Gee, Selma Lagerlof is getting up there in years. Can she blow out all those candles on the cake :?: :mrgreen:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 am

hahahahaha!! Today's Google Doodle is fun!

neufer

Arthor Gallifrey

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:07 pm

owlice wrote:
hahahahaha!! Today's Google Doodle is fun!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallifrey wrote: <<Gallifrey is a fictional planet in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who and is the home world of the Doctor and the Time Lords. It is located in a binary star system (Gridlock) within the constellation of Kasterborous, at "galactic coordinates ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two from galactic zero centre", which is some 250 million light years away from Earth (as stated in the 1996 Doctor Who television movie), or 29 thousand as stated in the classic series. 250 million light years away from Earth would put it far outside our Milky Way galaxy, which is about a hundred thousand light years in diameter, and indeed outside the Local Group and even the Virgo Supercluster; however, at this distance it would still be within the Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex. As the planet is often reached by means of time travel, its relative present could conceivably exist anywhere in the Earth's past or future before the year 100 trillion, which the Time Lords never reached. Gallifrey was protected from physical attack by an impenetrable barrier called the quantum force field and from teleportation incursions by the transduction barrier.

From space, Gallifrey is seen as a yellow-orange planet and was close enough to central space lanes for spacecraft to require clearance from Gallifreyan Space Traffic Control as they pass through its system. The Doctor's granddaughter Susan first described "Gallifrey" as having bright, silver-leafed trees and a burnt orange sky at night. This casts an amber tint on anything outside the city, as seen in The Invasion of Time. In The Time Monster the Doctor reveals that "When I was a little boy, we used to live in a house that was perched halfway up the top of a mountain", explaining, "I ran down that mountain and I found that the rocks weren't grey at all - but they were red, brown and purple and gold. And those pathetic little patches of sludgy snow were shining white. Shining white in the sunlight". In "Gridlock", the Doctor echoes Susan`s description of the world now named as Gallifrey and goes further by mentioning the vast mountain ranges "with fields of deep red grass, capped with snow". He then elaborates how Gallifrey's second sun would "rise in the south and the mountains would shine", with the silver-leafed trees looking like "a forest on fire" in the mornings.

Gallifrey is said to have at least two moons, one being the copper-coloured Pazithi Gallifreya; the novel Lungbarrow also places Karn in Gallifrey's solar system, along with a frozen gas giant named Polarfrey and an "astrological figure" of "Kasterborous the Fibster". Cat's Cradle also mentions edible rodent-like mammals called tafelshrews. Outer Gallifrey`s wastelands are where the "Outsiders" reside. The wastes of Gallifrey include the Death Zone, an area that was used as a gladiatorial arena by the first Time Lords, pitting various species kidnapped from their respective time zones against each other (although Daleks and Cybermen were considered too dangerous to use). Inside the Death Zone stands the Tomb of Rassilon, the founder of Time Lord society.

Somewhere on Gallifrey there is also an institute called the Academy, which the Doctor and various other Time Lords have attended. The Ninth Doctor states that his home planet has been destroyed in a war and that he is the last of the Time Lords. The last great Time War was fought between the Time Lords and the Daleks, ending in the obliteration of both sides and with only two apparent survivors; the Doctor and a lone Dalek that had somehow fallen through time and crashed on Earth.>>
Kasterborous the Fibster

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:16 pm

owlice wrote:hahahahaha!! Today's Google Doodle is fun!
I was wondering what you were talking about, as i didn't have a Google Doodle a half hour ago. So i checked again, and I've got Doodle. Not just any Doodle though, but an interactive Dr. Hoo Who Doodle. Kinda makes me wonder when and where I'll finish playing it... IF ever :?: Now, if i could only get the sound button to work...
::EDIT:: Awww... No theme music. Just monotonous drums. Bummer!!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:17 pm

hahaha, it took me 53:56 to get through the Who Doodle. That last one with the orange and yellow moving squares is a real killer :!: I went through more than two cycles of the doctors trying to figure the whole thing out. Especially how to get rid of that damn yellow line that popped up in front of the Tardis. :lol2: