Polka Time

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Polka Time

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Charlie Was A Boxer Polka
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:59 pm

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:18 am

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:18 am

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:33 pm

Long overdue polka dot update!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:58 pm

This continues to be the creepiest thread on Asterisk.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:36 pm

I'd have to agree Geck. Now that I've semi-retired I think I'll spend some time "polking" around to get a better understanding of the dots. I've heard that a quantified biology may shed some light. :idea:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:27 pm

geckzilla wrote:This continues to be the creepiest thread on Asterisk.
What's wrong with polka dot fashion? Also some nice songs:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:00 pm

starsurfer wrote:
geckzilla wrote:This continues to be the creepiest thread on Asterisk.
What's wrong with polka dot fashion?
Are you a fashion designer? Is this a thread about fashion? Sorry, but it just looks like a weird fetish to me. Not that there's anything with fetishes, just... most people don't have a public collection. Or, at the very least, most people don't share them at astronomy themed forums which is currently a field where just about any woman present happens to be a feminist.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:34 pm

geckzilla wrote:Is this a thread about fashion? Sorry, but it just looks like a weird fetish to me. Not that there's anything with fetishes, just... most people don't have a public collection. Or, at the very least, most people don't share them at astronomy themed forums which is currently a field where just about any woman present happens to be a feminist.
This discussion has been totally foreign and bizarre to me from day one.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:41 am

Hey guys; This is a discuss anything forum! I started a polka music thread and it seems to attract polka dots! I can't help that!! I'm not crazy about the dots either; but I didn't see how I could stop it! Do what you must; if you think rulls have been broken!
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:58 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Hey guys; This is a discuss anything forum! I started a polka music thread and it seems to attract polka dots! I can't help that!! I'm not crazy about the dots either; but I didn't see how I could stop it! Do what you must; if you think rulls have been broken!
Heck, I don't think any rules have been broken. I just don't understand why this discussion exists. But if polka, or polka dots are your thing, carry on.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Hey guys; This is a discuss anything forum! I started a polka music thread and it seems to attract polka dots! I can't help that!! I'm not crazy about the dots either; but I didn't see how I could stop it! Do what you must; if you think rulls have been broken!
Heck, I don't think any rules have been broken. I just don't understand why this discussion exists. But if polka, or polka dots are your thing, carry on.
Orin, you rock! Or, if you prefer it, you polka! You have broken no rules whatsoever! Keep up whatever you're doing! :D :thumb_up: :yes:

Ann
Color Commentator

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Viva la polka! Plus this thread is in a section called "Discuss Anything" :D

Life's too short to be serious, it's all light hearted fun and if anyone perceives otherwise, then that's not my intention.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Ann wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Orin, you rock! Or, if you prefer it, you polka! You have broken no rules whatsoever! Keep up whatever you're doing! :D :thumb_up: :yes:

Ann
You know Ann; there ought to be more people like you!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:01 pm

P>S> the three smilies rule sucks! :thumb_down:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:

Well you don't have to read it! I don't read the threads that I'm not interested in! :shock:
Orin

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:59 pm

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:15 am

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey, Orin! Won't you post a nice new polka for us to listen to? :yes: :thumb_up:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

"Polka dots are a way to infinity."

Post by neufer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yayoi_Kusama wrote:

<<Yayoi Kusama (born March 22, 1929) is a Japanese artist and writer. In 2017, a 50-year retrospective of her work opened at the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington, DC. The exhibit featured six infinity rooms and is scheduled to travel to five museums in the US and Canada. [Forty years prior] Kusama checked herself into the Seiwa Hospital for the Mentally Ill, where she eventually took up permanent residence. She has been living at the hospital since, by choice. Her studio, where she has continued to produce work since the mid-1970s, is a short distance from the hospital in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Kusama is often quoted as saying: "If it were not for Art, I would have killed myself a long time ago."

By 1950, Kusama was depicting abstracted natural forms in watercolor, gouache and oil, primarily on paper. She began covering surfaces (walls, floors, canvases, and later, household objects and naked assistants) with the polka dots that would become a trademark of her work.

Kusama on polka dots: " a polka-dot has the form of the sun, which is a symbol of the energy of the whole world and our living life, and also the form of the moon, which is calm. Round, soft, colorful, senseless and unknowing. Polka-dots become movement ... Polka dots are a way to infinity."

The vast fields of polka dots, or "infinity nets," as she called them, were taken directly from her hallucinations. The earliest recorded work in which she incorporated these dots was a drawing in 1939 at age 10, in which the image of a Japanese woman in a kimono, presumed to be the artist's mother, is covered and obliterated by spots. Her first series of large-scale, sometimes more than 30 ft-long canvas paintings, Infinity Nets, were entirely covered in a sequence of nets and dots that alluded to hallucinatory visions.

Yayoi Kusama said about her 1954 painting titled Flower (D.S.P.S), "One day I was looking at the red flower patterns of the tablecloth on a table, and when I looked up I saw the same pattern covering the ceiling, the windows and the walls, and finally all over the room, my body and the universe. I felt as if I had begun to self-obliterate, to revolve in the infinity of endless time and the absoluteness of space, and be reduced to nothingness. As I realized it was actually happening and not just in my imagination, I was frightened. I knew I had to run away lest I should be deprived of my life by the spell of the red flowers. I ran desperately up the stairs. The steps below me began to fall apart and I fell down the stairs straining my ankle.">>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: "Polka dots are a way to infinity."

Post by bystander » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:35 am

neufer wrote:
"If it were not for Art, I would have killed myself a long time ago."

So we have you to blame :?:
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:46 am

bystander wrote:
neufer wrote:
"If it were not for Art, I would have killed myself a long time ago."

So we have you to blame :?:
Art Neuendorffer

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:58 am

neufer wrote:

<<Yayoi Kusama (born March 22, 1929) is a Japanese artist and writer. In 2017, a 50-year retrospective of her work opened at the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington, DC. The exhibit featured six infinity rooms and is scheduled to travel to five museums in the US and Canada. [Forty years prior] Kusama checked herself into the Seiwa Hospital for the Mentally Ill, where she eventually took up permanent residence. She has been living at the hospital since, by choice. Her studio, where she has continued to produce work since the mid-1970s, is a short distance from the hospital in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Kusama is often quoted as saying: "If it were not for Art, I would have killed myself a long time ago."

By 1950, Kusama was depicting abstracted natural forms in watercolor, gouache and oil, primarily on paper. She began covering surfaces (walls, floors, canvases, and later, household objects and naked assistants) with the polka dots that would become a trademark of her work.

Kusama on polka dots: " a polka-dot has the form of the sun, which is a symbol of the energy of the whole world and our living life, and also the form of the moon, which is calm. Round, soft, colorful, senseless and unknowing. Polka-dots become movement ... Polka dots are a way to infinity."

The vast fields of polka dots, or "infinity nets," as she called them, were taken directly from her hallucinations. The earliest recorded work in which she incorporated these dots was a drawing in 1939 at age 10, in which the image of a Japanese woman in a kimono, presumed to be the artist's mother, is covered and obliterated by spots. Her first series of large-scale, sometimes more than 30 ft-long canvas paintings, Infinity Nets, were entirely covered in a sequence of nets and dots that alluded to hallucinatory visions.

Yayoi Kusama said about her 1954 painting titled Flower (D.S.P.S), "One day I was looking at the red flower patterns of the tablecloth on a table, and when I looked up I saw the same pattern covering the ceiling, the windows and the walls, and finally all over the room, my body and the universe. I felt as if I had begun to self-obliterate, to revolve in the infinity of endless time and the absoluteness of space, and be reduced to nothingness. As I realized it was actually happening and not just in my imagination, I was frightened. I knew I had to run away lest I should be deprived of my life by the spell of the red flowers. I ran desperately up the stairs. The steps below me began to fall apart and I fell down the stairs straining my ankle.">>
starsurfer approves of this post. :D :lol2:

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:00 pm