RIP Leonard Nimoy

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
kellogg
Ensign

RIP Leonard Nimoy

Post by kellogg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:15 pm

I don't know about you folks, but Mr. Nimoy helped to inspire me to study Physics.

Rest In Peace, Sir. Uncounted legions were inspired to study science because of you.

Thank you,

Scott Kellogg

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most.... human.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:14 am

I wrote about Leonard Nimoy here. I was sad to hear about his death. In the 1970s, Swedish television showed nine episodes of the original Star Trek series, and I was mesmerized primarily by Spock.

Leonard Nimoy created an iconic character in a way that few actors have done. Actors who have played, say, Batman and Spiderman did not create those characters. They existed already in comic books, and the comic book characters were well known, too. Sean Connery created a very iconic James Bond, although Ian Fleming's character had existed for a decade or so, and other actors had even briefly played him. Charlie Chaplin created an unforgettable tramp, who may be one of the most iconic original characters ever created by an actor himself. And anyone who has seen Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster can't help thinking that Karloff is the monster. But Mary Shelley had created the character already in 1818.

Leonard Nimoy's Spock is an original creation by the actor himself, and the character of Spock is unforgettable.

The Simpsons is also an unforgettable TV show, and when Leonard Nimoy guest starred the Simpsons, the results were wonderful.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 pm

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 pm

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:40 am

Logic and emotions are not friendly acquaintances, yet Leonard Nimoy was able to weave them together gracefully.

http://leonardnimoypoetry.com/
You and I
have learned
The song of love,
and we sing it well
The song is ageless
Passed on
Heart to heart
By those
Who have seen
What we see
And known
What we know
And lovers who have
Sung before
Our love is ours
To have
And
To share
The miracle is this
The more we share…
The more
We have
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:14 am

A class act by all accounts RIP Leonard Nimoy

The miracle is this: the more we share the more we have.
Leonard Nimoy
I've come to the conclusion that when i said i wanted to be somebody when i grew up i probably should have been more specific

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:29 am

Spock your $5 bills for Leonard Nimoy?

After Leonard Nimoy's death, some Canadian fans have honored him by "Spocking" their $5 bills.

Here is another example, although photoshopping must have gone into that one.

Ann
Color Commentator

hwriter
Asternaut

Post by hwriter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:53 am

Very sad news about Nimoy's passing. I'm originally from Canada, and I read that the Canadian Mint has asked people to stop 'spocking' bills because they're running out of them. Shows how much of a cult figure he was though.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:15 pm

hwriter wrote:...I'm originally from Canada, and I read that the Canadian Mint has asked people to stop 'spocking' bills because they're running out of them. Shows how much of a cult figure he was though.
:shock: You must have read that on the internet. The most recent figures I found say that at the end of 2007 there were approximately 450 million Canadian $5 bills in circulation. Spock is popular, but not that popular.

The Mint asked people to stop because a spocked bill must be taken out of circulation before it ordinarily would. Also, such a defaced bill might not work in bill scanners when you go to pay for something.

Rob