Artist Renditions

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
grapejuicesrkc
Asternaut

Artist Renditions

Post by grapejuicesrkc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:29 am

As an avid viewer of APOD, I get to experience vicariously pictures of our universe through the eyes of those who are lucky enough to own a telescope or from the databases of some of the worlds famous telescopes. Periodically there are also artists renditions of what skies might look like in a specific location. Since I myself am nowhere near an artist, one view that came to mind, that I think would be a great sketch, would be a view from a planet residing in NGC 3314A seeing NGC 3314B in the night sky. I know that these two galaxies are approximately ten times further apart than our galaxy and M31, but the idea of seeing another galaxy taking up so much of the night sky would be intriguing. Maybe someone out there with alot more talent than myself could create such a inspiring piece of work. Hope so!!!!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Artist Renditions

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:59 am

You might think that the sky would look fantastic with another galaxy taking up a large portion of the sky, but think about our current position: we are inside an actual galaxy, and that galaxy shines faintly at night. It would be like that, but instead of a straight band, the other galaxy's shape would take place. Still, I do think it would be cool to have a large, face-on spiral in the sky with its nucleus unobstructed by dust like ours is. It'd be cool. Another very cool sight would be a nearby globular cluster.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:56 pm

geckzilla wrote:
grapejuicesrkc wrote:
I think would be a great sketch, would be a view from a planet residing in NGC 3314A seeing NGC 3314B in the night sky.

I know that these two galaxies are approximately ten times further apart than our galaxy and M31, but the idea of seeing another galaxy taking up so much of the night sky would be intriguing. Maybe someone out there with alot more talent than myself could create such a inspiring piece of work.
I do think it would be cool to have a large, face-on spiral in the sky with its nucleus unobstructed by dust like ours is. It'd be cool. Another very cool sight would be a nearby globular cluster.
A large, face-on spiral in the sky 23 Mly away with
its nucleus unobstructed by dust would be cool. 8-)
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Well, I did mean a closer one like what might be viewed from a planet positioned in the outer halo near one of the poles of such a galaxy.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat May 02, 2015 1:32 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Well, I did mean a closer one like what might be viewed from a planet positioned in the outer halo near one of the poles of such a galaxy.
http://www.universetoday.com/35997/messier-51/ wrote: Messier 51
by Tammy Plotner on July 27, 2009

<<The Whirlpool Galaxy was first discovered by Charles Messier on October 13, 1773 and re-observed again for his records on January 11, 1774 when he writes: “Very faint nebula, without stars, near the eye of the Northern Greyhound [hunting dog], below the star Eta of 2nd magnitude of the tail of Ursa Major”: M. Messier discovered this nebula on October 13, 1773, while he was watching the comet visible at that time. One cannot see this nebula without difficulties with an ordinary telescope of 3.5 foot: Near it is a star of 8th magnitude. M. Messier reported its position on the Chart of the Comet observed in 1773 & 1774. It is double, each has a bright center, which are separated 4’35”. The two “atmospheres” touch each other, the one is even fainter than the other.>>
Art Neuendorffer