Garden Bench

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Garden Bench

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:40 am

Good friends of ours were moving and had this garden bench that had weathered so much that the wood was rotted out; and they gave it to us! So I restored it and though it is probably the last project that I will undertake; I think it turned out wonderful! I painted the wrought iron and replaced all the wood! :D
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Garden Bench

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:29 am

That's beautiful, Orin! :-D :yes: :clap:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:40 am

• Time to get a new thermometer.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=bench wrote:
<<bench (n.) Old English benc "long seat," especially one without a back, from Proto-Germanic *bankon (source also of Old Frisian bank "bench," Old Norse bekkr, Danish bænk, Middle Dutch banc, Old High German banch). The group is cognate with bank (n.2) "natural earthen incline beside a body of water," and perhaps the original notion is "man-made earthwork used as a seat." Used from late 14c. of a merchant's table. From c. 1300 in reference to the seat where judges sat in court, hence, by metonymy, "judges collectively, office of a judge." Hence also bencher "senior member of an inn of court" (1580s).>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:06 pm

neufer wrote:
  • Time to get a new thermometer.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=bench wrote:
<<bench (n.) Old English benc "long seat," especially one without a back, from Proto-Germanic *bankon (source also of Old Frisian bank "bench," Old Norse bekkr, Danish bænk, Middle Dutch banc, Old High German banch). The group is cognate with bank (n.2) "natural earthen incline beside a body of water," and perhaps the original notion is "man-made earthwork used as a seat." Used from late 14c. of a merchant's table. From c. 1300 in reference to the seat where judges sat in court, hence, by metonymy, "judges collectively, office of a judge." Hence also bencher "senior member of an inn of court" (1580s).>>
It still works good! I admit it is a little hard to read though! Like me it's old! :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!