Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
KayBur
Ensign
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:07 am

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by KayBur » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 am

I'm more interested in this question: are there really no specialists who study the "behavior" of volcanoes and can predict an eruption at the first signs? Naturally, the eruption cannot be stopped, but if there is a danger, then rescuers will have time to evacuate people from the dangerous area in advance. Not only the eruption is dangerous, but also gas emissions. If foliage flies in the trees, imagine what happens in the lungs of a person who accidentally falls into a cloud?

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16016
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:52 pm

KayBur wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 am
I'm more interested in this question: are there really no specialists who study the "behavior" of volcanoes and can predict an eruption at the first signs? Naturally, the eruption cannot be stopped, but if there is a danger, then rescuers will have time to evacuate people from the dangerous area in advance. Not only the eruption is dangerous, but also gas emissions. If foliage flies in the trees, imagine what happens in the lungs of a person who accidentally falls into a cloud?
Certainly there are people who study volcanoes and attempt to predict eruptions. And with some volcanoes, and in some circumstances, they are quite successful. But volcanoes can still surprise, even with all the best minds and best instruments at work.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18200
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:52 pm
KayBur wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 am

I'm more interested in this question: are there really no specialists who study the "behavior" of volcanoes and can predict an eruption at the first signs? Naturally, the eruption cannot be stopped, but if there is a danger, then rescuers will have time to evacuate people from the dangerous area in advance. Not only the eruption is dangerous, but also gas emissions. If foliage flies in the trees, imagine what happens in the lungs of a person who accidentally falls into a cloud?
Certainly there are people who study volcanoes and attempt to predict eruptions. And with some volcanoes, and in some circumstances, they are quite successful. But volcanoes can still surprise, even with all the best minds and best instruments at work.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:45 pm

Brrrr! I*t was -12 this morning; Don't want a volcano! It's supposed to get colder! Brrrr! 🌬
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11426
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by Ann » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:28 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:45 pm
Brrrr! I*t was -12 this morning; Don't want a volcano! It's supposed to get colder! Brrrr! 🌬
We don't have any active volcanoes here, but we've sure got winter temperatures. It's been below zero degrees Celsius all February here in Malmö, and the cold weather is going to continue.

Tonight we may have a snow storm! I hate it!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:17 pm

Ann wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:28 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:45 pm
Brrrr! I*t was -12F this morning; Don't want a volcano! It's supposed to get colder! Brrrr! 🌬
We donät have any active volcanoes here, but we've sure got winter temperatures. It's been below zero degrees Celsius all February here in Malmö, and the cold weather is going to continue.

Tonight we may have a snow storm! I hate it!

Ann
I know; that cold makes you want to spend a lot of time indoors! It was -16F this morning and I had to put the charger on the car! We are supposed to get +12F today so that will help! You know? A volcano would heat things up a little, but I still don't want one! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16016
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:17 pm
Ann wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:28 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:45 pm
Brrrr! I*t was -12F this morning; Don't want a volcano! It's supposed to get colder! Brrrr! 🌬
We donät have any active volcanoes here, but we've sure got winter temperatures. It's been below zero degrees Celsius all February here in Malmö, and the cold weather is going to continue.

Tonight we may have a snow storm! I hate it!

Ann
I know; that cold makes you want to spend a lot of time indoors! It was -16F this morning and I had to put the charger on the car! We are supposed to get +12F today so that will help! You know? A volcano would heat things up a little, but I still don't want one! :mrgreen:
12°F. Perfect snowshoeing weather, especially when things get steep up above treeline!

(Just up the road in the Mosquito Range. Uplifted granite about 65 million years old. Not volcanic... but there are lots of volcanic remnants when you come down off the range onto South Park.)
_
IMG_20210122_072051p.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18200
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:03 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

12°F. Perfect snowshoeing weather, especially when things get steep up above treeline!

(Just up the road in the Mosquito Range. Uplifted granite about 65 million years old. Not volcanic... but there are lots of volcanic remnants when you come down off the range onto South Park.)
  • And you could always use a snowshoe to swat away those mosquitoes.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/147895/trading-surfboards-for-snowboards wrote:
Trading Surfboards for Snowboards
Story by Michael Carlowicz.

<<Starting with a moderate storm on January 18, 2021, snow has fallen three times on the highlands of Hawai'i in the past three weeks. The snow cover has persisted on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa—the two tallest volcanoes in the island chain—since January 25. Hawaiians have found their way up the volcanic mountains with snowboards and boogie boards to sled through the fluffy white blanket. Others have filled their pickup truck beds to bring snow down to friends. Snowfall in Hawai'i is often associated with a weather phenomenon referred to as a Kona low. Winds that typically blow out of the northeast shift and blow from the southwest. The winds from the leeward or “Kona” side draw moisture from the tropical Pacific, turning it from rain to snow as the air rises up into the high elevations.>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:05 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:17 pm
Ann wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:28 pm


We donät have any active volcanoes here, but we've sure got winter temperatures. It's been below zero degrees Celsius all February here in Malmö, and the cold weather is going to continue.

Tonight we may have a snow storm! I hate it!

Ann
I know; that cold makes you want to spend a lot of time indoors! It was -16F this morning and I had to put the charger on the car! We are supposed to get +12F today so that will help! You know? A volcano would heat things up a little, but I still don't want one! :mrgreen:
12°F. Perfect snowshoeing weather, especially when things get steep up above treeline!

(Just up the road in the Mosquito Range. Uplifted granite about 65 million years old. Not volcanic... but there are lots of volcanic remnants when you come down off the range onto South Park.)
_
IMG_20210122_072051p.jpg
Don't know if you missed it; bit it was Minus 12F and it was minus 16F this morning; too cold for this oldie! :shock: :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16016
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 am

orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:05 am
Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:17 pm


I know; that cold makes you want to spend a lot of time indoors! It was -16F this morning and I had to put the charger on the car! We are supposed to get +12F today so that will help! You know? A volcano would heat things up a little, but I still don't want one! :mrgreen:
12°F. Perfect snowshoeing weather, especially when things get steep up above treeline!

(Just up the road in the Mosquito Range. Uplifted granite about 65 million years old. Not volcanic... but there are lots of volcanic remnants when you come down off the range onto South Park.)
_
IMG_20210122_072051p.jpg
Don't know if you missed it; bit it was Minus 12F and it was minus 16F this morning; too cold for this oldie! :shock: :lol2:
I was looking at your balmy +12° high.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11426
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:52 am

Well, we didn't get a snowstorm last night. That's a relief, but it is also bad, because February has been almost bone dry.

I'm reminded of a Swedish poem from 1642, Klage-Wijsa Öfwer Thenna torra och kalla Wååhr (A Lament Over This Dry and Cold Spring) by Lars Wivallius. The poem was written in the Swedish equivalent of Shakespeare's English. I can't resist translating one of the stanzas for you:


Giff glädie och tröst/ lät Lärkian ey döö/
Lät lefwa Sommarens Swaala.
Hugswala hwart Bröst på Sweriges Öö/
Som nu mon sorgeligt taala.
Giff Sommar/ giff Blommer/
Giff gott grönt Höö/
Lät Gööken roopa och gaala.
Give us joy and solace/Let the Lark not die/
Let live the Swallow of Summer.
Comfort each Breast on Sweden's Isle/
Which now may speak so sadly.
Give Summer/ give Flowers/
Give good green Hay/
Let the Cuckoo call out and crow.


I have to agree with Lars Wivallius, I hate snow, but we do need moisture! And warmer weather too, please.


By the way, poor Lars Wivallius. The 17th century was "the little Ice Age" in Europe. I hope most people got something to eat in 1642 and the following winter, but I'm sure some people must have died of starvation back then.

The painting by Dutch painter Pieter Bruegel the Elder was made almost 80 years before Lars Wivallius wrote his poem, but I think the weather was cold in much of the 16th century, too. Anyway, I recognize the kind of weather depicted in the painting and the kind of daylight that accompanies it.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:19 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 am

I was looking at your balmy +12° high.

8-) :D That we should repeat today; and that's the best predictions for the rest of the week! My Dad ( was a farmer ) said that it was good for the soil! I don't mind! Hope we get a mild Summer though!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

rogerbell1990
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 am

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by rogerbell1990 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:50 am

I don't know about this as much as all of you do. but it is very interesting to read and it took almost 1 hour to read all this. and now i will search for this as i am exhausted right now.

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 676
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed May 26, 2021 12:27 am

IMG_1524 (2).JPG
What would we do without spectrums :?: Whether you see it or on it :ssmile:
IMG_1525 (2).JPG

One and/or the other. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

rogerbell1990
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 am

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by rogerbell1990 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:21 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:19 pm
saturno2 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 am
Several months ago, in my zone ( the Andes), suddlenly
The ambient temperature dropped below normal.
After a few days, the volcano Sangay erupted.
From this event, the weather became unstable,
So unstable, that in one place, in middle summer,
Snow fell !!
We had snow here in Nebraska; in June one year! :shock: All of the leaves fell off the trees; & they quickly budded again! I can't remember the year as it was long ago!
It is not possible!!! Nature has its own restrictions.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by orin stepanek » Mon May 31, 2021 12:29 pm

rogerbell1990 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:21 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:19 pm
saturno2 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 am
Several months ago, in my zone ( the Andes), suddlenly
The ambient temperature dropped below normal.
After a few days, the volcano Sangay erupted.
From this event, the weather became unstable,
So unstable, that in one place, in middle summer,
Snow fell !!
We had snow here in Nebraska; in June one year! :shock: All of the leaves fell off the trees; & they quickly budded again! I can't remember the year as it was long ago!
It is not possible!!! Nature has its own restrictions.
It happened; so it is possible!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

rogerbell1990
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 am

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by rogerbell1990 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:02 am

orin stepanek wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:29 pm
rogerbell1990 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:21 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:19 pm
We had snow here in Nebraska; in June one year! :shock: All of the leaves fell off the trees; & they quickly budded again! I can't remember the year as it was long ago!
It is not possible!!! Nature has its own restrictions.
It happened; so it is possible!
If it happened then i need to know the year if you can tell? This will be a wonderful change in nature and i want to study on this how this happens. I hope it will be good for others too.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Weather- volcanoes- earthquakes

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:40 am

Your asking me to remember something that happened 50+ years ago! I believe the tree was a paradise; but am not sure of that either! I thought it was unusual then Also! Why does it bother you? wouldn't it be like the tree went through another season? I,m not a horticulturist! :shock: I got rid of it because it was so messy!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!