Covid-19

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: Covid-19

Post by rstevenson » Tue May 11, 2021 6:36 pm

I hadn't realized that about polio. As you say, it has a place in our minds as a terrible disease from the past. (I may have had it, according to my mother. She recalls our GP saying about me "if he recovers, we won't know if he had it." Imagine a parent hearing that! I recovered after 6 weeks in hospital.)

Rob

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6451
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Covid-19

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 pm

rstevenson wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:36 pm
I hadn't realized that about polio. As you say, it has a place in our minds as a terrible disease from the past. (I may have had it, according to my mother. She recalls our GP saying about me "if he recovers, we won't know if he had it." Imagine a parent hearing that! I recovered after 6 weeks in hospital.)

Rob

A lot of victims had to recover in an iron lung! We had a girl in high school that was crippled from it and had a huge brace on her leg. it was a scary time!

th.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Orca
Science Officer
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Covid-19

Post by Orca » Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Anyone else having a hard time letting down your guard? I have been fully vaccinated for a while now, but I can't see myself going to a grocery store without a mask anytime soon. Or eating at a restaurant. We have started to visit family but only outdoors and mostly with masks on, unless we're well over 6 feet part.

I was talking about this with a friend and he said, "...aren't you going to follow the science?" This really hit home because I am usually the one saying (or at least thinking) things like that!

I try to 'follow the science' as a general philosophy. I try to update my views based on evidence. I try to let go of things I may have held on to when new information presents itself. It's sometimes difficult, but generally gets easier the more you do it. Of course I don't always succeed, but I am human after all. That said - when it comes to this pandemic I am going to have a hard time letting go of the precautions we've been taking for more than a year. I think this is largely due to the fact that I have kids and I'm afraid of causing them harm; it will be a while before the vaccines will be approved for little ones. I am well aware of the data that indicates kids don't contract it as easily and most kids who contract the disease are asymptomatic. Even so, thousands of kids have died and many more have suffered. It's particularly unnerving that, aside from recognized risk groups, you just don't know from person to person whether COVID-19 will present as asymptomatic or deadly until it's already happening. I recognize this as an emotional "hook in my registry" (the computer nerds will get that one).

So - am I "following the science with extra precaution?" Or, "being irrational and overly protective?" Maybe a bit from both columns?

So now the CDC says vaccinated people can go around in public without masks. Vaccinated people can hang out together indoors without masks. This is supposed to be a relief, something to celebrate. All I can do when I think about it is cringe. I suppose it might be different if I felt that we were "all in this together." I am frustrated and disturbed by the sheer number of people who have, through words and actions, displayed overt selfishness and a general lack of empathy during this pandemic. We would likely be in a better position by now if we'd been on the same page from the start.

One more thing to point out: who's to say maskless people in public won't lie about being vaccinated? Anti-maskers and pandemic-deniers have been gleefully endangering peoples lives the whole time.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15932
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Covid-19

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri May 14, 2021 11:39 pm

Orca wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 pm
Anyone else having a hard time letting down your guard? I have been fully vaccinated for a while now, but I can't see myself going to a grocery store without a mask anytime soon. Or eating at a restaurant. We have started to visit family but only outdoors and mostly with masks on, unless we're well over 6 feet part.

I was talking about this with a friend and he said, "...aren't you going to follow the science?" This really hit home because I am usually the one saying (or at least thinking) things like that!

I try to 'follow the science' as a general philosophy. I try to update my views based on evidence. I try to let go of things I may have held on to when new information presents itself. It's sometimes difficult, but generally gets easier the more you do it. Of course I don't always succeed, but I am human after all. That said - when it comes to this pandemic I am going to have a hard time letting go of the precautions we've been taking for more than a year. I think this is largely due to the fact that I have kids and I'm afraid of causing them harm; it will be a while before the vaccines will be approved for little ones. I am well aware of the data that indicates kids don't contract it as easily and most kids who contract the disease are asymptomatic. Even so, thousands of kids have died and many more have suffered. It's particularly unnerving that, aside from recognized risk groups, you just don't know from person to person whether COVID-19 will present as asymptomatic or deadly until it's already happening. I recognize this as an emotional "hook in my registry" (the computer nerds will get that one).

So - am I "following the science with extra precaution?" Or, "being irrational and overly protective?" Maybe a bit from both columns?

So now the CDC says vaccinated people can go around in public without masks. Vaccinated people can hang out together indoors without masks. This is supposed to be a relief, something to celebrate. All I can do when I think about it is cringe. I suppose it might be different if I felt that we were "all in this together." I am frustrated and disturbed by the sheer number of people who have, through words and actions, displayed overt selfishness and a general lack of empathy during this pandemic. We would likely be in a better position by now if we'd been on the same page from the start.

One more thing to point out: who's to say maskless people in public won't lie about being vaccinated? Anti-maskers and pandemic-deniers have been gleefully endangering peoples lives the whole time.
I'm generally comfortable around other people without a mask. My own vaccination gives me good protection, and the evidence increasingly suggests that I'm unlikely to transmit an asymptomatic infection.

For all practical purposes, I think we're done with masks. Mask mandates appear to be falling like dominoes. That's a mistake, IMO, but it is what it is. Unvaccinated people will stop wearing them, against any rules or advice, because unvaccinated people are already those who have little regard for others and are probably wearing their masks under their noses half the time, anyway. They'll simply lie if asked. I predict we're going to see a surge in cases over the next weeks. What the response to that ends up being remains to be seen.

While your discomfort is understandable, I think the science is solid that your own risk is very small given your vaccination status.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6451
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Covid-19

Post by orin stepanek » Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 pm

When I go out to the store; I wear a mask! I probably will for a couple of months yet! They say while vaccinated you can still spread it! I don't want to do that! :roll:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15932
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Covid-19

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 15, 2021 1:29 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 pm
When I go out to the store; I wear a mask! I probably will for a couple of months yet! They say while vaccinated you can still spread it! I don't want to do that! :roll:
Nothing wrong with that. It increasingly looks like vaccinated people aren't spreading Covid. But if nothing else, wearing a mask helps protect you from the flu and other airborne diseases.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

rogerbell1990
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 am

Re: Covid-19

Post by rogerbell1990 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:24 am

the situation is getting worse day by day. Hope it will be over soon so everything can go back to normal routine.

rogerbell1990
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 am

Re: Covid-19

Post by rogerbell1990 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:03 pm

The situation is getting more worse what i think. But it seems like we are going to back to normal life.