Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
antonioccd
Asternaut

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by antonioccd » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 pm

I have sent images to APOD responsibles time ago and a few days later the image was posted automatically on the Asterisk forum (submissions).

Recently, I have sent (by email) some image to Robert Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell and the image does not appear on the Asterisk forum. Am I using the correct process to submit images?

regards,
Antonio

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 am

There are numerous sports stories in the breaking news section.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm

got it.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 am

Is it just me? I'm not seeing images on any APOD page.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 am

bystander wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 am

Ok, correction, I can't see images on any APOD page in Firefox. Chrome and Edge seem to be working fine.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 am

bystander wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 am
bystander wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 am

Ok, correction, I can't see images on any APOD page in Firefox. Chrome and Edge seem to be working fine.
Everything looks normal for me in Firefox.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:58 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 am
bystander wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 am

Everything looks normal for me in Firefox.

Hmm, curiouser and curiouser.
— Garrison Keillor

1yioi87
Asternaut

APOD Archive InOp

Post by 1yioi87 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:57 am

I am unable to open any of the links on the Archive page. I have sent several emails to the editors without response. Anyone else having the same problem or can suggest why I am having a problem. The Picture of the day opens fine.
Cliff

1yioi87
Asternaut

APOD Archive InOp

Post by 1yioi87 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:39 am

I AM NEW HERE. I AM UNABLE TO OPEN ANY OF THE LINKS ON THE APOD ARCHIVE PAGE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

THANKS,

Cliff

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD Archive InOp

Post by bystander » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:06 am

1yioi87 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:39 am I AM NEW HERE. I AM UNABLE TO OPEN ANY OF THE LINKS ON THE APOD ARCHIVE PAGE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.
What browser?
Have you tried a different browser?
What have you done to try to resolve the problem?
— Garrison Keillor

1yioi87
Asternaut

Post by 1yioi87 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Using this link https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Works with Fire Fox does not work with Chrome. In Chrome the page appears to load but get error message Page Unresponsive.
I have not taken any action on the Chrome browser. I hope you can suggest something.
Thanks for your time.
Cliff

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Just tried that page in Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera and all loaded it just fine. All my browsers are the latest versions for MacOS. Chrome and Opera are kept in their as-delivered state, while Safari and Firefox each have a few add-ons to make life more convenient.

Does your copy of Chrome have any add-ons that might not like something about the page? Start Chrome in safe mode and try the page. If it works, then you have an add-on which is not cooperating.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:36 pm

rstevenson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:13 pm Just tried that page in Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera and all loaded it just fine. All my browsers are the latest versions for MacOS. Chrome and Opera are kept in their as-delivered state, while Safari and Firefox each have a few add-ons to make life more convenient.

Does your copy of Chrome have any add-ons that might not like something about the page? Start Chrome in safe mode and try the page. If it works, then you have an add-on which is not cooperating.
In my Windows environment both Chrome and Firefox work fine. Firefox has addons up the kazoo, Chrome is unmodified.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:30 pm

1yioi87 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:10 pm Using this link https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Works with Fire Fox does not work with Chrome. In Chrome the page appears to load but get error message Page Unresponsive.
I have not taken any action on the Chrome browser. I hope you can suggest something.
Thanks for your time.
Cliff
Just tried on Win 10 (1903) new install of chrome
Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Extremely slow, but it works. Trying to load 24 years of links?

I suggest using calendar or search
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:43 pm

rstevenson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:13 pm Just tried that page in Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera and all loaded it just fine. All my browsers are the latest versions for MacOS. Chrome and Opera are kept in their as-delivered state, while Safari and Firefox each have a few add-ons to make life more convenient.

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:36 pm In my Windows environment both Chrome and Firefox work fine. Firefox has addons up the kazoo, Chrome is unmodified.
@Chris/Rob
Did you try linking to APODs from the archive? That's where I ran into problems, especially after the second.

Evidently he isn't alone. This has been reported on APOD on facebook as well.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 pm

bystander wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:36 pm In my Windows environment both Chrome and Firefox work fine. Firefox has addons up the kazoo, Chrome is unmodified.
@Chris/Rob
Did you try linking to APODs from the archive? That's where I ran into problems, especially after the second.

Evidently he isn't alone. This has been reported on APOD on facebook as well.
Ah. Then yes, definitely a problem with Chrome. Super slow loading, and hit-or-miss whether the links function. That page violates just about every rule of web design, being almost 9000 lines long and with a half million characters. I guess Chrome's memory management just can't handle that. Really, the page should be redesigned. At the least, a separate archive page for every year, with the top level just pointing to the years.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:02 pm

I'd say there's something wrong with Chrome itself at this point. I tested it out and it starts to get noticeably bogged down after 2000 links. Your mileage may vary depending on what kind of CPU you've got. I saw mine spike in temperature loading the page. Microsoft Edge utterly shames Chrome and doesn't show any signs of slowing down at all.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:07 pm

geckzilla wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:02 pm I'd say there's something wrong with Chrome itself at this point. I tested it out and it starts to get noticeably bogged down after 2000 links. Your mileage may vary depending on what kind of CPU you've got. I saw mine spike in temperature loading the page. Microsoft Edge utterly shames Chrome and doesn't show any signs of slowing down at all.
This may reflect a design problem with Chrome, but honestly, there's no reason to expect a browser to work with a page like that one. It would be extremely quick and simple to knock out a new archive system structured by years.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:12 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:07 pm
geckzilla wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:02 pm I'd say there's something wrong with Chrome itself at this point. I tested it out and it starts to get noticeably bogged down after 2000 links. Your mileage may vary depending on what kind of CPU you've got. I saw mine spike in temperature loading the page. Microsoft Edge utterly shames Chrome and doesn't show any signs of slowing down at all.
This may reflect a design problem with Chrome, but honestly, there's no reason to expect a browser to work with a page like that one. It would be extremely quick and simple to knock out a new archive system structured by years.
That's what you'd think... that's what I'd think, too, if I didn't know better through experience. Good luck getting anything with APOD updated.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:18 pm

geckzilla wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:12 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:07 pm
That's what you'd think... that's what I'd think, too, if I didn't know better through experience. Good luck getting anything with APOD updated.
Yes. Well. I did mean technically, not necessarily practically.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

SonnyTaylor
Asternaut

Post by SonnyTaylor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:09 am

I think this maybe a problem with the underlying Chromium open source browser that both Google and the beta version of MS-Edge use under the covers. I'll explain more, but this is my first post here and I need to make sure I can post before I write more.

SonnyTaylor
Asternaut

Post by SonnyTaylor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:25 am

re: APOD archive index page not loading...

I've had the same problem for months where google will not completely load the the index page before apparently going into a high-CPU loop. I've left the page gobbling up tons of processing power for some time but it never finished. My Google Chrome browser software is up to date.

When I try the same page with MS-Edge it loads fine (albeit of course it takes a few seconds due to page size).

I have the new Beta version of MS-Edge installed as well, and it encounters the exactly the same problem as Google Chrome.

Both Chrome and the NEW beta version of Edge use the open source Chromium browser under their covers. Therefore I suspect the problem lies within Chromium.

In any case I agree with an above poster that it's long past time to re-organize that huge sequential index. Even when the page was loading ok months ago, it still took a little too long to be practical.

SonnyTaylor
Asternaut

Post by SonnyTaylor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:57 am

More info:

I downloaded a developer version of Chromium (with a higher build number than my Chrome browser is using) and ran it directly (no Chrome or Edge) and it has exactly the same problem loading the APOD archive page.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 am

Can you start a bug/issue thread on their software repository? I hadn't checked that.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:14 pm

geckzilla wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 am Can you start a bug/issue thread on their software repository? I hadn't checked that.
Worth a try... but I'm not sure they'd treat it as a bug unless the APOD page simply highlights a different sort of bug that could show up on a properly constructed page, as well.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory