How can The Asterisk be improved?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Re: How can The Asterisk be improved?

Post by RJN » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm

bystander wrote:For some time now you have featured a digg link at the bottom of each APOD page. Yesterday you tried facebook. Why not provide the ability to share through all of the social bookmarking links. Many blogs and news services have a share link that allows you to pick the social bookmarking link you wish to use. For an example, see APOD's sister site HEAPOW.
Good question. That link is a reasonable possibility. If there was a version that had only a text link that would be even better.

I was playing around over the past two days experimenting on how the sharing links affect APOD page views, APOD's position on Digg, APOD's effect on Facebook shares, etc. This is a very textured terrain, and it is unclear what is best for APOD. Counter intuitively, it seems that placing a clear Digg or Facebook link on APOD has only a small effect on everything.

One motivation for this has been a small "reverse Digg effect". This effect is that when APOD appears on the front page of Digg, the total number of page views to APOD go down. Not up. Down. Strange? -- you betcha! This has happened enough so that I am now relatively sure that it is not a statistical fluke. I am not sure why this occurs. Factors include that APOD has appeared on the front page of Digg for about half the days of the past year.

Another motivation is that APOD thrives on simplicity, and there has been significant negative feedback that a Digg link (etc.) on APOD makes it more cluttered and adds a dreaded second image. We have fielded complaints that the second image makes the page, at times, slow to load.

So Jerry and I are (again) considered taking all of the "sharing" links off of APOD. This is not set in stone, and the opinions of others do interest us. Again, a good middle ground is a text-only "sharing" link, but I don't know if that is possible.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:05 pm

RJN wrote:Another motivation is that APOD thrives on simplicity, and there has been significant negative feedback that a Digg link (etc.) on APOD makes it more cluttered and adds a dreaded second image. We have fielded complaints that the second image makes the page, at times, slow to load.
I don't think a second image is the problem, it's probably downloading the actual script. As Digg is an actual social bookmarking site, and AddThis and ShareThis are not, they might be a little faster. The real advantage is that the latter two allow you to connect with all the sites, and the former only connects to its site. Before you make a decision, here is some information you might want to consider.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm

RJN wrote:So Jerry and I are (again) considered taking all of the "sharing" links off of APOD.
My own view is that Facebook, Digg, and all those other social networking sites are just a passing fad. They are so low on real content (and frankly, intelligent discourse), so loaded with fluff... well, just a kind of toy, I think. It isn't apparent to me that they bring much value to APOD. Nor do I think they cause much or any harm, but I agree that with something like this, simple is good. I like that all the links on an APOD are to elements related to that APOD.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:16 pm

RJN wrote:One motivation for this has been a small "reverse Digg effect". This effect is that when APOD appears on the front page of Digg, the total number of page views to APOD go down. Not up. Down.
Maybe it's "reverse APOD" effect, i.e. visitors that already seen particular APOD do not rate same thing on digg and so it doesn't make it to their front page.
RJN wrote:We have fielded complaints that the second image makes the page, at times, slow to load.
Nothing that a small javascript couldn't solve (i.e., 1st let the page load, then insert digg frame in the background).

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Can I make a suggestion?

When somebody makes a comment that is total rubbish. And off topic, Can it be deleted? It spoils the thread and encourages others to take it further. Until the topic is just a blur. And the debate is over.

Last posts Here: http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 8&start=75

Harry. Show me your Proof. Chris. We all know its nonsense. Orca. Don,t take the bait. I want to learn about the dark flow NOTHING ELSE.

Sorry Guys.

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:20 pm

When somebody makes a comment that is total rubbish. And off topic, Can it be deleted?
for those who do not know, mark has a record of modifying/deleting his own comments, leaving the thread looking weird to whoever had no chance to read it in time... which is why we now have time limit for post editing.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:34 am

mark swain wrote:When somebody makes a comment that is total rubbish. And off topic, Can it be deleted? It spoils the thread and encourages others to take it further. Until the topic is just a blur. And the debate is over.
Certainly, if somebody says something sufficiently out of place for a moderator to remove it, I'd be happy to have my own response removed as well (assuming it was just a brief post about a silly comment; if I actually say something more substantive I'd prefer my comment be left in place, or moved, as seems appropriate <g>).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:45 pm

I like Quick Reply, but don't see it anymore. (It did exist here, didn't it? Or did I imagine that?)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 pm

I imagined it too, but rarely used it.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:41 pm

It's enabled now. It's one of those settings that has to be enabled on each individual forum. I guess I missed this one.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:25 am

Thank you, rstevenson and geckzilla; much appreciated!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.