Help on using BBCode

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Using Quotes

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:21 am

gregbradley wrote:I followed the thread about how to post an image. I placed a url to a PBase image of mine and it does not show the image in the post only a white box with a red X in it.

The image was under 400 pixels wide as per the rules and was only about 180kb in size. Also there is mention of uploading an image as an attachment yet I
can't see any attachment button above? How do you do that?

How do you show an image in the post itself?
A valid image URL placed inside img tags should work. I had no problem posting a PBase image picked off a random gallery:

You can hit the quote button as if you were replying to this post, and see the exact format I used to get this. Is that what you did? Also, does PBase perhaps allow you to enable or disable hot linking to images in your gallery? If hot linking is disabled, you won't be able to see the image, since PBase won't serve it offsite. The red X may be coming from PBase in that case.

To upload an image, use the Upload attachment tab found below the text box used for posts. Pick a file from your computer, click on Add the file, and then use the Place Inline option to insert the image code into your post.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Using Quotes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:29 am

pbase does not play nicely with hotlinks; the issue is on the pbase side, not the Asterisk side.

To attach an image, look below the text entry area for a tab called "Upload attachment" and click it. You will be directed to input the location of your file (you have the opportunity to browse for it), and then clicking the "Add the file" button will upload the image.

I hope this helps!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Celestine
Asternaut

Re: Help on using BBCode

Post by Celestine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:27 pm

neufer wrote:
Mr. Blobby wrote:
BBCode guide: http://asterisk.apod.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode
:D
TY :D

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Firstly - I know that I am not using the quote function! I am having to access the forum via my mobile phone at present and that does make posting interesting...

Chris Peterson wrote, on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:21 am,

"To upload an image, use the Upload attachment tab found below the text box used for posts. Pick a file from your computer, click on Add the file, and then use the Place Inline option to insert the image code into your post."
picture008-1.jpg
Like this?
Fingers crossed

Regards
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Yup, like that! Congrats, and nice cat!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 pm

owlice wrote:Yup, like that! Congrats, and nice cat!
Yes, a very nice cat indeed! (Wasn't that Dr Johnson on his cat, Hodge?)

Sadly, Syd has gone to the Great Cat Basket in the Sky, elderly, well-loved and well-fed. We were missing him deeply (still do - he died November 7th last) when a stray starving orphaned kitten found us, and adopted us. I will resist the urge to post a photo of Elvira and maintain forum discipline! (Oh, but she is gorgious!

Thanks for the feedback - my learning curve must be more than vertical now - perhaps it has entered another dimension?! (I've had to preview and edit this post three times before I got the italics to work correctly.

Margarita (aka Cat woman...)
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 am

MargaritaMc wrote:
owlice wrote:Yup, like that! Congrats, and nice cat!
Yes, a very nice cat indeed! (Wasn't that Dr Johnson on his cat, Hodge?)

Sadly, Syd has gone to the Great Cat Basket in the Sky, elderly, well-loved and well-fed. We were missing him deeply (still do - he died November 7th last) when a stray starving orphaned kitten found us, and adopted us. I will resist the urge to post a photo of Elvira and maintain forum discipline! (Oh, but she is gorgious!

Thanks for the feedback - my learning curve must be more than vertical now - perhaps it has entered another dimension?! (I've had to preview and edit this post three times before I got the italics to work correctly.

Margarita (aka Cat woman...)
I'm certain that you would be able to find a place to post a good lookin puddy tat in the open space forum. It's full of lots of strange and wonderful things, and a little more informal. :kitty:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

ErnieM
Science Officer

Post by ErnieM » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:45 am

Above is a cut and paste of the result of my preview, trying to post a new topic. I inserted the (^) in order to force the codes to show.
Please note that the Google logo is a sample from the handbook.

Below, I duplicated the codes, less the (^) and to my surprise, it works.
Preview: New Topic
Test
Only difference I can see is that the code seems to work on a Reply but not on a New Topic. Is there something I missed, not doing correctly or is this a known bug?

Thank you in advance for any reply.

ErnieM

PS. Then, the same codes still do not work when "previewed" as a reply to another existing post.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:38 am

Go ahead and start the new topic and I (or another mod if I'm not around) will try and see what's wrong. I doubt it is a bug. Probably something wrong in the BBCode.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

ErnieM
Science Officer

Post by ErnieM » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:31 am

Hi geckzilla,
This time it worked. see http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31909

Here is the BBcode which I copied from the edit page of the submitted post that worked. again, I have to insert (^).
Here are two pictures, first one from outerspace, the Hubble telescope, the other from the land based Subaru's HPC telescope. The second picture is from this Astronomy News article "A new view on the origin of dark matter and dark energy" by University of Tokyo, Kashiwa, Japan — Published: July 31, 2013
http://www.astronomy.com/en/News-Observ ... ergy.aspxo

[^url=https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/][^img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... QZ-bYsxo6A[/img][/url]

[^url=http://cdn.media.astronomy.com/][^img]http://cdn.media.astronomy.com/~/media/ ... B2674.ashx?[/img][/url]

It is not quite there yet but it looks like the land based telescope technology is catching up with that of Hubble's capabilities. By nature, land based telescope is less costly to maintain and upgrade. This will enable astronomers to do more for less money. The future of Astronomy is getting brighter!

Still don't know what happened. Thank you.

everyword
Asternaut

Post by everyword » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:38 am

Hehehe, I quite enjoy seeing how far some of you go in formatting your posts so that they are nice looking. In the past I've put BBCodes into other forums and no one even bothered to use them. You guys not only use them all but have gone the extra mile and actually asked for even more BBCodes in your arsenal!