Should the Asterisk retain its theme as a starship?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Poll ended at Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Yes, continue zooming away.
73%
No, beam me back down.
5%
I like grapes.
22%

Total votes: 131

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Should the Asterisk retain its theme as a starship? The administrators of this online discussion board, once "The Asterisk", and now "Starship Asterisk", are considering dropping the starship motif and just going back to plain old "The Asterisk". We have discussed this a bit amongst ourselves, but we are of course interested in reader's opinions. Please comment below if you would like, in addition to voting.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Should the Asterisk retain its theme as a starship?

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 pm

RJN wrote:Should the Asterisk retain its theme as a starship? The administrators of this online discussion board, once "The Asterisk", and now "Starship Asterisk", are considering dropping the starship motif and just going back to "plain old The Asterisk". We have discussed this a bit amongst ourselves, but we are of course interested in reader's opinions. Please comment below if you would like, in addition to voting.
The theme doesn't detract from the purpose of the board, and gives it just a little bit of personality to help distinguish it from all the other forums out there. It would be different if carried to extremes (you know... if we all had to pose in Spock ears for our avatars), but the theme is very subdued, not really extending beyond the forum titles (half of which would probably not change even if the site theme changed).

I say leave well enough alone. This is working just fine.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Jay
Asternaut

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:38 pm

If you want to make changes to the theme, you might consider changing the subtitle from "APOD and General Astronomy Discussion Forum" to "Astronomy and Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) Discussion Forum."

I've never thought of astronomy as a way to watch generals, but if you're far enough away, perhaps. :wink:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Jay wrote:If you want to make changes to the theme, you might consider changing the subtitle from "APOD and General Astronomy Discussion Forum" to "Astronomy and Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) Discussion Forum."

I've never thought of astronomy as a way to watch generals, but if you're far enough away, perhaps. :wink:
How about APOD, Astronomy and Science Discussion Forum

Outer space is no place for a person of breeding. — Lady Violet Bonham Carter
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:It would be different if carried to extremes (you know... if we all had to pose in Spock ears for our avatars)
Hey!

In all seriousness, I like the theme just fine. No need to change it.

-Noel