APOD not working properly? Archive not up-to-date?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

APOD not working properly? Archive not up-to-date?

Post by owlice » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:29 am

Several people have reported that the latest APOD images are not displaying for them on astropix, and that the archive for them stops at March 3.

If you are having this problem, please report it here, and let us know which browser and operating system you are using, and which URL you are using to view APOD. If anyone had this problem and found a solution, please post that as well.

Thank you very much.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Re: APOD not working properly? Archive not up-to-date?

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:46 am

This is the problem I'm having. I opened up IE and was shown the image that was displayed on March 3. I use 'astropix' for my homepage, and thought, "wow, this image was just used a few days ago", and I was even getting ready to go to the thread and whine about it! :lol:

Here is the url I use as my homepage: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Please let us/me know when this issue is fixed. :(

Thanks!

ETA: I didn't have this problem at home. I'll have to see what version I'm using there (won't be able to check for a bit, as I'm at work right now.....)
Forget the box, just get outside.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Interesting. I've not seen this before, but when I try opening the link in IE8 I get the March 2 APOD. When I open the same page in Firefox I get the expected March 7 APOD.

I virtually never use IE, so there was certainly no APOD in its cache. But when I do a reload from IE, the correct APOD shows up. If I clear the cache and reload, it then displays March 1. Reload and I get the correct APOD. Clear the cache, March 2. Reload, back to March 7.

This behavior does not occur at all in Firefox, and does not occur in IE8 if Compatibility View is enabled.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm

One person who has sent in an email about this is using Safari and Firefox. He writes:
In the years that I have been looking at APOD's picture of the day (almost every day) it has always automatically shown the picture for the current day. Not any more using the following links:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

Even when I go to the archives (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html) there is no updated information. Archives has stopped listing from 3 March 2011. The only way I can see todays picture is to manually go forward from 3 March 2011 using the > button near the bottom of the page.

I also deleted all cookies and emptied the cache. No joy.
He has also rebooted his router. Still has the problem.

I have not been able to replicate this.

Chris, thanks for your help; those are certainly interesting results!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Chris, would you please try this with the old URL using IE8 after clearing the cache? I don't know whether this will provide any useful info or not, but I don't have any other ideas at the moment. Thank you!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

owlice wrote:Chris, would you please try this with the old URL using IE8 after clearing the cache? I don't know whether this will provide any useful info or not, but I don't have any other ideas at the moment. Thank you!
It behaved the same a few times (as previously described- wrong page when the cache was clear, correct page on subsequent reloads), but then started working all the time. Did you change something while I was in the middle of experimenting?

FWIW, this is on an XP system. I tried the same thing with IE8 running in a Windows 7 virtual machine on the same computer, and it didn't show the problem. Since the entire internet connection was identical in both cases, I think that rules out some sort of odd caching at a router or ISP (which would otherwise explain why only some people see this problem).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Chris, thanks very much! I can't change anything on the APOD side; perhaps someone who can did.

I'll ask those who reported the problem to try again. I hope this has been fixed!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:FWIW, this is on an XP system. I tried the same thing with IE8 running in a Windows 7 virtual machine on the same computer, and it didn't show the problem. Since the entire internet connection was identical in both cases, I think that rules out some sort of odd caching at a router or ISP (which would otherwise explain why only some people see this problem).
I'm running Win 7 w/ Firefox. I was not able to duplicate the problem in IE8 or Chrome. I thought it might be a DNS cache problem, but this seems to rule that out.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Here at work, I am using IE7 and WindowsXP version 5.1. Have either of these been determined to be part of the problem?
I did do what Chris Peterson suggested and cleared the cache, but still show the APOD image from 3 March as the homepage.

As I said earlier, I'm not having this issue on my home pc, but I'll have to check what versions of each I'm using there.....

TIA!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Indigo, did you try the old link (in one of my previous posts)? If not, please do; thank you!

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 am

Owlice,
Yesterday, I had tried the other link you had supplied (ending in 'apod', vice 'astropix') and I got to the current day's image. Also, FWIW on my home pc, I have Windows7 as the OS, and IE8 for browsing.

BUT - I arrived here at work today, and can see the current day's image!!!! :mrgreen: Something worked itself out overnight, I guess. (Maybe I'm spending too much time on APOD perusing links, and wearing out the site!) :oops:

Anyway, for me the issue is now fixed.

:b:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 am

Indigo, thanks very much for your report! I've received word that a little work was done on the system yesterday to fix this problem. I'm very glad everything is working as it should be, and kudos to the NASA guy who fixed this! (Yay!) And thanks to all who reported the issue/tried to replicate it/provided troubleshooting assistance!

benny law
Asternaut

Post by benny law » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:51 pm

owlice wrote:Indigo, thanks very much for your report! I've received word that a little work was done on the system yesterday to fix this problem. I'm very glad everything is working as it should be, and kudos to the NASA guy who fixed this! (Yay!) And thanks to all who reported the issue/tried to replicate it/provided troubleshooting assistance!
Hi Owlice, is your old URL http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html. I try this URL, but it shows the astronomy picture of 17th Mar (i.e. today's). Why it does not work ?

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 pm

It DOES work. The astropix URL is supposed to show the current day's APOD; today is March 17, so that's the APOD it shows.

benny law
Asternaut

Post by benny law » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:09 pm

owlice wrote:It DOES work. The astropix URL is supposed to show the current day's APOD; today is March 17, so that's the APOD it shows.
Thank you, owlice. What i mean is the archive, my archive shows APOD list up to 3rd March. ? I dont have problem to get APOD of 17th.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Ah! I misunderstood your post completely.

Please do a hard refresh (shift-reload) on the archive page. There had been a problem with the archive page not updating, which has been fixed; you may have the old page in your cache and need to refresh it. If that doesn't work, you may have to delete your cache. And if THAT doesn't work, please let me know. Thanks!

benny law
Asternaut

Post by benny law » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 pm

owlice wrote:Ah! I misunderstood your post completely.

Please do a hard refresh (shift-reload) on the archive page. There had been a problem with the archive page not updating, which has been fixed; you may have the old page in your cache and need to refresh it. If that doesn't work, you may have to delete your cache. And if THAT doesn't work, please let me know. Thanks!
Ha ha !! it works now. Initially I try the refresh button. The achive remains the same. Then i try with <Ctrl>-F5, the archive is updated to 23rd mar. The cache is clear. But strange enough, when i quit from the internet and access the achive . It show archive up to 3rd March again. Then i have to enter <ctrl F5> again. Anyway
Thanks a million ! Owlice

Larry Stearns

Post by Larry Stearns » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:32 am

APOD not working. IOS 12.0 on iPhone (7 I think$ using Version network

smithjn
Asternaut

Post by smithjn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:01 am

Actually I also suffer due to not update of the latest version of Apple software, an error appears apple mobile device failed to start, as I read on the internet, the discussion suggests exactly, but such issues appear on randomly that makes annoying and took lots of struggle to fix it.

DavidTG

Post by DavidTG » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:08 pm

Haven't seen images, although there are titles & descriptions, on APOD Android for 3 days.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:46 am

APOD isn't an app. Anyone who puts an app out there isn't someone from APOD.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

HarryLeo
Asternaut

Post by HarryLeo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:57 am

the image is not displaying