What image do you see?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

What image do you see?

Post by RJN » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:49 pm

What image do you see here: Is it a cat and a boy looking out a window, or something else. Please also try this explicit link:
http://images.dailydawdle.com/cat-peeking.jpg
and see what you get.

Apparently Owlice and I see different things, and we are curious what others see, and what might be going on. This image is a candidate for a "silly link" in a future APOD.

- RJN

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: What image do you see?

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:58 pm

RJN wrote:Is it a cat and a boy looking out a window, or something else.
I'd say it's a cat and a boy looking in a window. I also suspect the boy is a little farther away from the cat than he appears in the image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:10 pm

I still get a bacon doughnut!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't see the image you're talking about. That site cycles through various images, and the one you linked to isn't there any more.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm

I see the cat and boy. I suggest hosting it on imgur if it changes. Stupid web, as you would call it. No attribution!
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:16 am

Does anyone have any idea why some computers (phones, etc.) can access the image while others cannot?

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:42 pm

When others complain, from time to time, about not seeing a particular image here at the asterisk, I can always see it. But this time I'm the one who can't see it.

The link is to [that site]/cat-peeking.jpg. But when I click the link I just get the site's base URL, not the image URL, which indicates they're redirecting. That's common on blog sites because they want people to land on their current page.

Scrolling down to the bottom of their landing page I found a link to the archive of June posts. Clicking that and scrolling down I got to a post called "IT'S CATURDAY! 20 Funny Cat Photos". Clicking that I got to the 20 cat images, and finally scrolling down I found a few images which included both a cat and a boy -- but none which to me made sense as regards your question about a boy or a cat looking out a window.

Incidentally, in the top post you say "Please also try this explicit link", but all three links -- the image I can't see, the "Click to view full size image" link, and your explicit link -- are all exactly the same URL.

I suspect that you and a few others saw that image and it is now in your browser's cache. I didn't get to it before the site had refreshed its content, and therefore it's not in my cache.

HTH

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:39 am

I cannot see this image when going through my home network. I use DSL and have an Apple Airport plugged into the router (Ethernet connection) from my phone company. I've tried from both Mac and HP (WinXP) machines, with Firefox/Safari/Opera on the Mac, and IE/Firefox on the HP, and it didn't matter which wireless network I used. For the HP, I used my home network to get to my work network remotely, then tried to access the image. Couldn't.

On my Android phone, I can access the image if going through 3G, but cannot access it when going through my home wireless network. It appears it's my home connection to the internet that permits the redirect to the Daily Dawdle home page. Or not. I don't know; I'm just guessing here.

I'll try again tomorrow when I'm at work.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:03 am

I get the cat and boy in Firefox, Chrome and IE9 (even after clearing my cache). Haven't found the bacon doughnut.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:09 am

You probably don't want to find the bacon doughnut...

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 am

RJN wrote:Does anyone have any idea why some computers (phones, etc.) can access the image while others cannot?
It's might be caused by the way different ISPs implement caching and redirecting. Another possibility involves how the source site handles links to specific file types. It is common to not allow hotlinks to images, since this effectively uses the site's bandwidth to host an image on a different domain. But you can configure hotlink protection in many ways, including some dynamic strategies. What this means is that hotlinks can be configured to work when the traffic is low, but convert to a redirect (typically to the hosting site's main page) when traffic gets high. If this system is in place, users with ISPs that haven't accessed the link too many times will see the image, but those on ISPs where a user has linked the image and received a lot of hits might be redirected. This is ISP specific, not user specific, so the person trying to see the image will get redirected based on another user's actions.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

elly12
Asternaut

Post by elly12 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:42 am

I cannot see a cat and a boy. I see the homepage of that site with the photo of few people are jumping to the lake, and some photos of cute cats and dogs following...

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:19 pm

elly12 wrote:I cannot see a cat and a boy. I see the homepage of that site with the photo of few people are jumping to the lake, and some photos of cute cats and dogs following...
The same for me. And i don't know why i only found this now, with out the bacon donut. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:25 pm

unfortuntely it is called the DAILY Dawdle and the Dawdles change Daily

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:unfortuntely it is called the DAILY Dawdle and the Dawdles change Daily
That may be, but you don't expect a direct link to an image to change.

BTW: The image link no longer works and you are being redirected.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor