APOD assessment poll #4

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Viewing APOD has increased my interest in NASA.

Poll ended at Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Strongly disagree
6%
Disagree
2%
Neither agree nor disagree
4%
Agree
26%
Strongly agree
62%

Total votes: 1725

Cal

Re: APOD assessment poll #4

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:27 pm

I voted: AGREE
Since I've always had a fairly high interested in NASA, there wasn't much APOD or anything else could do to make it much higher, so I couldn't really vote Strongly Agree. However, APOD often tells me about things I didn't know NASA was doing, and I often follow links to learn more details about these NASA missions, programs, educational events, etc. APOD also sometimes opens up a conversation with other people, so I can spread a little interest in NASA and astronomy in general. Just one of the many benefits of APOD. So, keep up the great work!

mikem

Post by mikem » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:28 pm

bobmacw wrote:There is one thing I see missing on the APOD page - a durable link for re-posting. There are many great APODs that I want to share, and in so doing get other people interested. But it seems the only way to do this is to wait until it's archived, and share the archive link. But maybe I'm just not seeing it.
Keep up the great work.
You can get the permanent link on the day of posting by clicking the backward and forward navigation links (the less than or equal to and greater than or equal to signs). For instance, today's (Tuesday's) link is http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120626.html.

slywlf
Asternaut
AKA: slywlf

Post by slywlf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 am

I have been interested in NASA since watching the Gemini Project on grainy B&W TV as a child - APOD has not so much increased my interest as helped maintain it in the face of creeping apathy from the media. APOD, to me, is not so much a forum for NASA as an amazing window on our amazing universe displayed in many ways by various sources. :wink:

Cbart1

Post by Cbart1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:29 am

Beautiful and wonderful. And closer to God are we.

niche64

Post by niche64 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

While I cannot say that APOD has, in general, increased my interest in NASA, it has increased my interest in specific NASA Centers. You see, my father worked as a Civil Servant for NASA-JSC from 1965 until his retirement in 2006, and I have worked for NASA-JSC as a contractor for nearly 20 years. As a kid, I always dreamed of seeing the "Star Trek" fantasy come to fruition, always dreamed of seeing humans explore the cosmos. To be a part of that is intoxicating when things go right. And while the ever-changing moving target called “NASA’s mission” and the red tape are maddening, and being under the charge of a non-scientific community (i.e., Congress and the Executive Branch) can be demoralizing at times, I cannot imagine doing or wanting to do anything else. Because of that, I think that APOD always REAFFIRMS why I stay here and continually shows others why we need to keep going. In the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope."

Alex Verdun

Post by Alex Verdun » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Just love APOD. I come here almost every day at lunch time. What a great break from the regular routine of the day.
My understanding of the scope of work NASA undertakes has increased immensely because of APOD. Many of the missions that are not news headlines are now on my radar.
Thanks for the very interesting and informative site!

memetic engineer

Post by memetic engineer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:37 am

Thank you for posting all the wonderous photos through out the years - Yes, these images have sent me to inquire about further info. on the NASA site many times. I love this window into our larger world, and I certainly hope that NASA will continue to educate the general public.
Greater global connections and appreciation of the wonder of our cosmos is paramount in the times. I applaud this effort and want to see it flourish.
julie perkins