APOD assessment poll #6

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Have you seen the featured APOD image before?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Yes.
95%
No.
4%
All of the above.
1%

Total votes: 4446

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD assessment poll #6

Post by RJN » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Today's (Sunday, 2012 July 22) APOD image has appeared on APOD before and was indeed quite widely circulated in the 1990s. We are curious, however, how many newer viewers of APOD are unfamiliar with some of astronomy's classic older images. APOD reruns images on Sundays partly to bring back to light famous astronomical images for those who have never seen them. Therefore, by answering this poll question honestly, you are helping APOD's editors better know what fraction of APOD's current audience might have or have not seen a historically famous astronomy image. Note, though, that this image is particularly famous, and we would therefore expect perhaps a comparatively high fraction of our viewers to have seen this image previously.

The image is again posted here for clarity:
- RJN

ritwik
Science Officer

Re: APOD assessment poll #6

Post by ritwik » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:00 am

"pillers of creation" i remember the name :idea:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:25 am

Hmm, a bit early. It's not Sunday yet. Guess we know what tomorrow's APOD will be.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:02 am

I vividly remember being extremely impressed at the detailed, three-dimensional appearance of the pillars. But I remember equally vividly being aghast at the color of the stars.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ronin

Post by Ronin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:56 am

its okay with me to see pictures as awesome as this one more than once. No matter how many times i have seen it, i will always pause to admire it.

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:59 am

This is one that we have gone back to look at many times in the archives and happy to see it again.

btshivas

Post by btshivas » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:09 am

Yes i recall this photo was used on a cover of a paperback book published by Jehovah's Witnesses.. It is a striking scene indeed.

alicephilippa
Asternaut

Post by alicephilippa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:10 am

There are some images like that one that I've seen before but are always worth revisiting. The Pillars of Creation has to be one of the classic images.

NBT

Post by NBT » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 am

Yeah, it's onbviously one of the most iconic astronomy photos, but it's always worth it to bring them up again. They are classics for a reason.

I like space. [:

Post by I like space. [: » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:49 am

Definitely seen it before. Definitely still enjoy seeing it.

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:45 am

Geez... APOD has been a daily stop for me for (15+?) years and I never grokked the fact that Sundays were "reruns." Or "classics."

I guess that's why they never let me touch any of the blinking buttons on the ship...

And remember folks, "Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. Any faster would be dangerous!"

dawilts
Asternaut

Post by dawilts » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:30 am

A poster picture of it is hanging on my wall, where I have admired it for years...

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:54 am

One would have to look long and hard to ascertain that the luminance, hue, white balance, etc.
were exactly the same...but as far as I can tell, aside from the present one being just slightly
smaller than the one from February 18, 2007, they do indeed seem to be the same image.

One thing has always puzzled me about this image--it seems to be presumed that they are
standing, like stalagmites from the floor of a cave. The word "pillars" implies this. But since
there is no "up" or "down" in space, couldn't they just as likely be hanging, like stalactites?

-Skygazer1956

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 am

I have seen this image many different places before, one of them being on a computer screen on the television show Star Trek: Voyager.

Canadian Grandma

Post by Canadian Grandma » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:58 am

I know I've seen the picture before--but I have no idea where--and,since I'm new to the page, it wasn't here. It gave (and gives) me the feeling of roiling, boiling turbulence.

Zach
Asternaut

Post by Zach » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:02 pm

This picture is widely know for its Pareidolia content, and as I recall there was a 'zoom-in-movie' made of it that highlighted that content. Additionally Phil Plait posted a good comment about this: "http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/lenin.html"

Jsqr

Post by Jsqr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:51 pm

This is one of the first images I encountered after I began scanning the internet, and I was so amazed and gratified that subject matter like this could be found on APOD that I've visited the APOD site daily ever since. Thanks for presenting and maintaining such interesting material and images.

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:51 pm

SO many times.

But, never TOO many times.

This is where I want my taxes going: To discovery of wonder and of worlds - rather than to world conquest.

Astrogeek UK

Post by Astrogeek UK » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:59 pm

I recently spotted this iconic image being used as an interstellar backdrop in an old episode of Babylon 5.I doubt the B5 special effects people had any idea back in the 90's,as to just how famous this HST picture would become.

cliffordwagner3164

Post by cliffordwagner3164 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:11 pm

I've seen it before because APOD is the one website that I check everyday for years and years. Thanks so much for all your good work!
Clifford Wagner

DIRKMAN

Post by DIRKMAN » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Seen it? Paul Scowen used to have the office next door to mine at Rice - he was the one who did the raw IRAF processing of the Hubble images, and was therefore the first person *ever* to see it! Lucky git.

ShoeHorm

Post by ShoeHorm » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I believe it appeared on the cover of National Geographic

aniseltong

Post by aniseltong » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:01 pm

I've seen it because APOD is the first website I check every day. Good way to begin, with such sublime images! Ani Seltong

scootz74

Post by scootz74 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Excellent image to have as a classic view. Yes, I am dating myself as an early nerd but it was a good first time image as well as now (and the few times in between that I went back to look at it :D )
Keep the good images coming (New and Old) to the entire APOD team. I've gotten some of my best wallpaper from here :wink: .

gar37bic
Asternaut

Post by gar37bic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:49 pm

I've seen it before, but I don't think I saw it here. Ditto to the comments above - always worth another look. I would be interested to see the differences between the 1995 and the 2007 pics (in different light frequencies etc., but a way to see how the shapes have changed?) IIRC the 2007 Infrared picture shows the interior stars.