Informal Poll

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Which part of today's APOD do you find more interesting?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:41 am

Land
22%
Sky
52%
Why does it matter? This has to be the silliest thing I voted on all day.
27%

Total votes: 1218

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Informal Poll

Post by RJN » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:41 am

Please vote for any or all of the entries -- and feel free to explain why below.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Informal Poll for a Future APOD

Post by Beyond » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 am

I picked door #3. Why? Because APOD has to do with Space, the stuff this planet is hanging in, which also makes this planet fair game for APODs.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:19 am

Beyond wrote:I picked door #3. Why? Because APOD has to do with Space, the stuff this planet is hanging in, which also makes this planet fair game for APODs.
I agree to this statement! :thumb_up:

Can't make real scientific research when earth is cut out of APODs, need to understand what physical things going on on earth to help to understand what and how
things work in outer space.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:29 pm

I had to vote #3 as well because I'm not sure I can really say overall which interests me more even if I try to limit them to categories of interest like aesthetic or academic interest. For instance, another terrestrial view of Milky Way might be very beautiful but at the same time not intellectually stimulating. Meanwhile, there are plenty of less pretty pure sky images which illicit deep thought.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Just to be clear we're voting on Airglow over Italy, right? I voted 1 and 2. I love this picture! Land and sky are complementary. The sky has several interesting subjects and the land provides yet another interesting subject… The main rock outcropping looks like a crown with the Milky Way as a halo. The airglow appears to be emanating from behind the crown and there appears to be snow in the foreground. The only thing missing is a star map that appears when the mouse cursor is over the image. :wink:
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:43 pm

emc wrote:Just to be clear we're voting on Airglow over Italy, right?
No; this is for a future APOD.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks Owlice. My vote still stands. As much as I enjoy the deep space pictures, the APOD's that include a bit of home, especially with an interesting subject, draw on a different part of my heart strings.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm confused. The question is, "Which part of today's APOD do you find more interesting?" with possible answers being "Land" and "Sky". The question was posted on Sept. 7th. The APOD of Sept. 7th has no land in it.

Mr. Ed asked if this was in reference to the previous day's APOD, but the answer to that was "No; this is for a future APOD."

Wazzup??

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:26 pm

The thread title is "informal poll for a future APOD" (emphasis mine). Since polls such as this are typically linked to from APOD, I would expect that the APOD for which this poll was posted will carry such a link. As it is intended for a future APOD -- one appearing after the poll's posting date of 9/7 -- and we have not yet seen a link to this poll on APOD, I think it is very very likely that the APOD for which this is intended has not yet appeared. When the APOD for which this poll is intended does appear and has a link to this poll, the image that is shown will be the one to which the question in this poll refers.

Does that help? I hope so, because now I need a nap!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:03 pm

owlice wrote:Does that help? I hope so, because now I need a nap!
I need a nap too, and all I had to do was read your answer. :)

I think I understand now.

Rob

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:42 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.... uh,,, What??
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 am

FWIW, I was pleased to be able to vote for all three options, because they are all true! Pictures that show some context are almost always more interesting than those that don't. This Bungle Bungles view is a fine example!

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 am

Interesting picture, The Bungle Bungles are VERY REMOTE. I used to live in Halls Creek, the nearest town about 150km away, SO WHAT CAUSES THE GLOW ON THE HORIZON?

There are no towns to either the north or east where the glows are seen, only the virtually uninhabited Kimberly ranges.

Derrick Watt

Re: Informal Poll

Post by Derrick Watt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 am

I picked 'Land' as the Milky Way figures frequently in many night sky pictures.
Pictures of each land feature usually only appear once.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:45 am

>snip<
owlice wrote:When the APOD for which this poll is intended does appear and has a link to this poll, the image that is shown will be the one to which the question in this poll refers.
And that day is today!

8-)
Forget the box, just get outside.

uwe

Post by uwe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:20 am

I've voted for the land, because I think the sky is quite boring. Millions and millions of dots of light, not even displayed in a rational order! Make that boring and annoying. Now look at the land - tidy layers of geological material nicely presented in appealing geometric structures. Best of all, you can atually go to that place! No romantic ideas connected, that probably will turn out as some low informed scientist''s fantasy. Questions? Go there, find out yourself. So it's definitely land, who could ever vote for that other thingie?

:wink:

naomisarna

Post by naomisarna » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:25 am

I voted for all three. I travel extensively on earth and always look up at the sky; the two in relation to each other are always of interest to me. Thanks again for my first-thing-in-the -morning pleasures.

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 am

Definitely both. The land is always vital to us mud hens, but the sky is where we dream.

Rob

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:24 pm

This is the ONLY thing I voted on all day. I'll have to go with 1 and 2, because in my opinion, land scenes enhance the sky scene. I like it.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

colortime

Post by colortime » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 pm

is the milky way false color in this picture? or can you really get photos that look like that with the right camera?

colortime

Post by colortime » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 pm

naomisarna wrote:I voted for all three. I travel extensively on earth and always look up at the sky; the two in relation to each other are always of interest to me. Thanks again for my first-thing-in-the -morning pleasures.
yeah, they probably should have used radio buttons for a poll, haha

Reeves

Post by Reeves » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm

I picked "Sky" because this is Astronomy Picture of the Day.

If this was the Earth Science Picture of the Day, http://epod.usra.edu/, I would have picked Land.

Astrogator John

Post by Astrogator John » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm

I had to go with 3, although it really isn't because I thought it was silly. The combination of the land and the sky is really interesting, and the land gives a nice geographic reference as to what the sky looks like from that latitude. Plus the land looks as cool as the sky!

spitzerr
Asternaut

Post by spitzerr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:01 pm

As a photographer, one part provides a perspective for the other. Cover the land or cover the sky and it is not very dramatic.

Zoe

Post by Zoe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I picked "Sky". I love mountains and these ones look really fascinating. But I prefer mountainous landscapes to be greener and more, so to say, alpine. These look very desert-like; it would be fascinating for me to see them, but they seem interesting rather that beautiful to me. The Milky Way here, in this picture, is a totally different kettle of fish. It's simply stunning - I love the feeling of facing infinity and being so small while looking at the stars, especially when they form as beautiful views as this one. The whole natural world is fascinating (the Bungle Bungle Range being no exception) but the stars make me just so amazed at the great mind of God, who, as I believe, has invented it all...