Facebook
1%
Phone App
0%
Blog link
5%
Justin Bieber concert
1%
Other (explain below, if you would like)
20%

Total votes: 1772

davidb5555

Re: APOD assessment poll #8

Post by davidb5555 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:04 am

Refdesk.com

Maggie

Post by Maggie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:13 am

Keeps me in touch with one of my favourite subjects since way back when. Lights up my day! Please keep putting more fascinating pics and explanations on APOD.

Drabmuloc

NASA Astronomy Picture of the day!

Post by Drabmuloc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 am

I bought a computer around 10 years ago, and, when I went on line, I looked at the news and then logged on to NASA....the rest is history!

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 am

Stumbleupon

Jyf Lemmon

Post by Jyf Lemmon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:53 am

I tripped over APOD whilst strolling through the ether one day about 6 or 7 years ago. I think I was looking for images of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field and discovered "APOD: 2004 March 9".
I added APOD as a favourite straight away and have been checking it almost every day since!
I now have a 50x50cm canvas of the HUDF hanging on my lounge wall - such an amazing picture...

Galaxian
Ensign

Post by Galaxian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:04 am

I used the Internet extensively before the WWWeb was designed by Sir Tim. Once web-pages began to be common, I spent quite a lot of time looking for really interesting ones and forwarding their URLs to friends and family. APoD was one of the early good sites I found and passed on. It has been the homepage on every one of my computers in every browser for more than ten years. Thank you for some lovely images. I must admit I've borrowed a few for wallpapers.
Every time I help set up or fix anyone's PC or Mac for them APoD is one of the little additional touches I offer them. I know adding to their homepages is naughty, but APoD is worth a little naughtiness. So far, no one has objected.
Not when I also point out your archive.
Thank you all very much for all your efforts, they are very much appreciated.

Timaru_lad
Asternaut
AKA: Pete

Post by Timaru_lad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 am

Almost 12 years ago now, a friend sent me an amazing photo of the Earth at night. On that photo, which I still have to this day, it says "Astronomy picture of the day 2000 November 27" followed by the URL for the site. Being interested in astronomy I just had to check it out.

Cherry

Post by Cherry » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 am

I found APOD when it was mentioned in a newspaper column that reviewed interesting websites - about 5 years ago. It is now part of my daily routine.

heatherls6

Post by heatherls6 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:57 am

About 10 years ago, as part of a college astronomy course, I had to pick about 10 different APODs and write a brief paragraph about why each one was interesting to me. I love APOD now. It's been my "homepage" ever since then.

Limpets

Post by Limpets » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 am

I use favourite APOD for my wall papers.
Thanks for a great site.

tigermsm

Post by tigermsm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 am

surfing the web way back when...

kphilux

Post by kphilux » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 am

Hey a friend of mine let me know about APOD about a year ago through facebook can't believe I didn't know about this sooner! What a great site keep up the good work :D

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 am

Maybe eight or nine years ago, I followed a link to APOD from a forum that is (sadly) now defunct.
(APOD images have helped minimize the 'loss' of that site!) 8-)

I know it's been said before, but: keep up the great work!

:thumb_up:
Forget the box, just get outside.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 am

Dunno. It certainly wasn't a search engine foray gone wrong. If it was a search enine attempt at anything it went horribly right.

caal

Post by caal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 am

I've been on this ship since the early beginning. I'm scratching my head trying to remember how. Probably hunting down images on the NASA web site or other. Regardless, it's been a pleasant journey. Keep up the good work!

Caal

cnmrgnthlr

Post by cnmrgnthlr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 am

When I recently downloaded Safari (onto a Windows PC), I found APOD among the Top Sites and got hooked.

Fan

Post by Fan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:34 am

I heard about APOD from Yervant Tersian, New York State's NASA Space Grant Director. I believe I've seen every posting since then...and even looked at much of the archive. Great site...

Randolph

Post by Randolph » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:37 am

My 'other' is lost deep in the past. I've been visiting about as long as I've had internet access, back to dial up modem days. APOD hasn't changed much, and that's good - just click for an interesting picture and paragraph with links to more detail if desired.

podkayn
Ensign

Post by podkayn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:16 pm

It was at a religious retreat! We had a campfire under the stars and discovered that several of us loved astronomy. I don't remember my exact first date, but one of my earliest images was the Tarantula Nebula, October 27, 1999. Not all religions stifle scientific inquiry. I'm a member of the Quakers, AKA the Society of Friends (I guess I could have clicked the 'from a friend' answer, but it would have been misleading).
I'm a retired veterinarian with widespread interests in science.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm

I found you on Refdesk.

Mike152

Post by Mike152 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Back in the late ’90s I used whatever search engine was available at the time (Alta Vista I think) to get interesting pictures of Space. I’ve been using APOD ever since. Thanks for all that you do.

floating-pencils

Post by floating-pencils » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Been with APOD since the beginning. Learned about it through the Cloudy Nights forum.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:34 pm

A friend of mine told me about APOD and it's now part of my morning routine. Lots of great pictures and interesting information.

Tim Rumph

Skeet

Post by Skeet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 pm

My son told me about the site when he was a student in Colorado. I have told over a dozen friends about it since I started monitoring it. None of them are astronomy buffs but most are space nuts and Air Force retirees.

Several pictures have become my background pictures. Just when I think I have the best picture you top it with something more spectacular!

bbonomi
Asternaut

Post by bbonomi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Don't remember - either link from a friend or more likely in a news item online. But I continue to send links to those I know all the time.