APOD's 2013 calendar

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

APOD's 2013 calendar

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm

The 2013 APOD calendar is available for download in PDF format (1.6 Mb).

Designed for 8.5" x 11" paper (landscape orientation), the calendar is easily printable. For best printed results, print it double-sided in color on bright white light card stock or 24-lb paper with a spiral or comb (GBC) binding and punch a hole for hanging; many local printing shops (Staples, Kinkos, etc.) offer binding services. Containing some of the best APOD images of 2012, the calendar makes a great inexpensive holiday present! :ssmile:

Since the calendar is in PDF, it can be viewed on devices such as the Kindle and many ereaders.

The last page of the PDF appears upside-down; this is deliberate. When printed, this page serves as the back cover of the calendar and allows one to see thumbnails of all the images in the calendar in the correct orientation (in relation to the front cover).

Happy holidays!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: APOD's 2013 calendar

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:01 am

El calendario 2013 de APOD está disponible para su descarga en formato PDF (1,6 Mb).

Diseñado en un tamaño de 8,5 "x 11" (orientación horizontal), el calendario es fácilmente imprimible. Para obtener los mejores resultados de impresión, recomendamos imprimir a doble cara en color brillante en blanco stock cartón pluma o papel de 24-lb con una espiral o un peine (GBC), y perforar un orificio para colgarlo. Puede realizarse en cualquier imprenta. Contiene algunas de las mejores imágenes de APOD de 2012, el calendario hace un gran regalo vacaciones baratas!

Dado que el calendario está en formato PDF, también puede verse en dispositivos Kindle y otros eReaders.

La última página del PDF aparece al revés deliberadamente. Cuando se imprime, esta página sirve como contraportada del calendario y permite ver miniaturas de todas las imágenes del calendario en la orientación correcta (en relación con la portada).

Felices fiestas!

Thanks to Maria Rosa Vila for the translation!

Bob Az

Post by Bob Az » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:46 am

Very cool pictures,could you have included some key astronomical dates as well: lunar phases, solstices and equinoxes, cross-quarter days, perigee and apogee of Earth's orbit, solar and lunar eclipses, etc. etc. (OK, I know, what do I want for free. Maybe I'll go annotate my copy myself.)

Thanks, and happy new year!

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Bob Az wrote:Very cool pictures,could you have included some key astronomical dates as well: lunar phases, solstices and equinoxes, cross-quarter days, perigee and apogee of Earth's orbit, solar and lunar eclipses, etc. etc. (OK, I know, what do I want for free. Maybe I'll go annotate my copy myself.)

Thanks, and happy new year!
I printed out the 2012 apod calendar for the break room at work and annotated each coming month with phases of the Moon, meteor showers and other easy naked-eye observing opportunities, and holidays. It's my little gift to my coworkers, both the pictures and my personal suggestions for things to see.

This year's calendar is lovely, but it's going to take up twice as much room on the bulletin board in the break room! An embarrassment of riches! Thanks very much. Happy new year.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm

The 2012 calendar (all spiral galaxies) did take up less room, as it had the image and the calendar grid on one page; it was in portrait format. I wanted more room for the images, though, for this next year, so selected landscape and image on one page, calendar grid on the following. Had I had the time, I would have added annotation to different dates and hope to do that for 2014, and include the APOD text, too.

Which format do people prefer, though? A smaller calendar in portrait? The larger one, as the 2013 calendar? A format that has an image and just dates but no space to annotate/write anything for each day? Or something else?

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:52 pm

owlice wrote:The 2012 calendar (all spiral galaxies) did take up less room, as it had the image and the calendar grid on one page; it was in portrait format. I wanted more room for the images, though, for this next year, so selected landscape and image on one page, calendar grid on the following. Had I had the time, I would have added annotation to different dates and hope to do that for 2014, and include the APOD text, too.

Which format do people prefer, though? A smaller calendar in portrait? The larger one, as the 2013 calendar? A format that has an image and just dates but no space to annotate/write anything for each day? Or something else?
Owlice, given that it's a gift, I think whatever format you most enjoy working with is the best! The 2012 format worked well for me, though: single page, portrait layout, with room for annotation.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

virginia

Post by virginia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Gostaria de receber calendário 2013

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Anthony, oh, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever format I choose to work with, but it is helpful to know what people like. Someone may suggest something I hadn't even thought of (for I am an owl of little brain, you know).

I love your idea of annotating the 2014 calendar and making it available for your coworkers; I think that's great!!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 pm

owlice wrote:Anthony, oh, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever format I choose to work with, but it is helpful to know what people like. Someone may suggest something I hadn't even thought of (for I am an owl of little brain, you know).

I love your idea of annotating the 2014 calendar and making it available for your coworkers; I think that's great!!
Little brain :?: :?: The feathers must make up for it, as you seem to do quite well :!: :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:30 am

Beyond, it's definitely the feathers; they make my head look bigger. :wink:

greglee28

Post by greglee28 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:33 am

OK, here's a vote: I personally like the larger format because it gives more room to write on. Astronomical annotations are interesting but the main one I look for is the date of new moon.

frgallo

Post by frgallo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Thank you very much!

It is a very nice Christmas gift from you.
Even while some one is asking to include anything else in it, it is important to observe no body else had taken your kindly effort to bring us as nice gift as you did.

Congratulation and thanks again.

Francisco

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:52 pm

Francisco, you're very welcome, and thank you very much! I was not at all upset that suggestions were made; indeed, I had thought of including the very things that were suggested, but ran out of time. And I'm glad people like the calendar as is.

Greglee, thanks for letting me know what your preference is; I appreciate it!

Owl

boyfoot_bear

Post by boyfoot_bear » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Owlice, Your calendar is lovely. Thank you very much.

In terms of what *I* might prefer, I like the 2 page format as it makes the pictures bigger. I like the room for annotations/notes. Moon phases, solstices and equinoxes dates would be great. Other key astronomical dates would be the icing on the cake but there are so very many of them that you would go crazy trying to decide which to include.

Teslanium

Post by Teslanium » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:35 pm

"Oh, why not all of them!" :wink:

Seriously, LOVE the calendar, THANK YOU APOD for making it available.
T.

Bob AZ

Post by Bob AZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:50 am

APOD Folks

Calendar appears very nice. My 17" Inkjet should do it well. Have some 13 X 19 paper for it. Glossy and lustre.

As another expressed a desire for: Source code would be appreciated.

Happy New Year

Bob AZ
1745 hours local.

C.L.K.

Post by C.L.K. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm

I prefer the picture and the actual calendar grid on the calendar separately. I do have one small suggestion for next year. Somewhere in some small place, print out a mini-mini grid of the prior month. I find this always helpful and less likely to rip thru the hole holding the calendar flipping back and forth. This is a first for me and an so excited to see this calendar. Thank-you sincerely for taking your valuable time to create this and especially offer it to us at no cost. I so miss our shuttles. Thank-you one again. Gratefully, C. L. K.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm

boyfoot_bear and Teslanium,

Thanks very much for the feedback; I appreciate it! Also, great names, both of you; kudos!

Bob AZ,

There isn't source code for this; the calendar was created with Microsoft Publisher. You are welcome to the .pub file, however, which is 4Mb and is available for download here.

Cal
Asternaut

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Owlice,
Thank you for the beautiful calendar. Very professional, and just the images I would have chosen.

My vote is for the large format (landscape, picture and calendar on separate pages). And I would love to see astronomical info added (new/full moon, eclipses, meteor shower peaks, conjunctions/oppositions).

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Cal,

You're welcome, and thank you for your kind words! Hard to pick images, and I left out one of my very favorites because there are just too many to choose from!

Thanks also for the feedback; I appreciate it!

Owl

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm

I downloaded the calendar from the link on APOD. I finally found this thread. Reluctant to post a me-too message: Applause, accolades, cheers of exultation...well, rather than post all of the thesaurus entries, good job; I like it!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks very much, Psnarf, for your kind words; I'm glad you like it!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:50 pm

The way his avatar is holding his computer, I'm surprised that he could download the calendar. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

ThePiper
Ensign

Post by ThePiper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:39 pm

owlice wrote:There isn't source code for this; the calendar was created with Microsoft Publisher. You are welcome to the .pub file, however, which is 4Mb and is available for download here.
Thanks, owlice, for the .pub file. I'm working with MS Office since it exists, but I have never started the Publisher.
Now I did - a good day for me! And asterisk is always a good place to learn. :mrgreen:

nessmr

Post by nessmr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 am

Brilliant! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. It's replaced the dreadful one of puppies I got given this year :P