About submissions

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
helios
Asternaut

About submissions

Post by helios » Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi all,

I am a bit puzzled over the submissions process. On the APOD main page there is a link "Submissions" that tells me to submit my picture by email to nemiroff@mtu.edu,bonnell@grossc.gsfc.nasa.gov. I did that some weeks ago, and have got no response at all. Is this way of submitting images still "alive" ? Should I expect feedback only if the picture is accepted ? Or maybe I should submit here in asterisk instead.

I did read the "How to post images" but it was so complicated that I decided to try the email method instead.

If someone will point me in the right direction I would appreciate that.

Ragnar

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: About submissions

Post by geckzilla » Fri May 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Yes, they check their emails for submissions, but they get a lot of submissions. They usually inform you if your work has been chosen, but sometimes even that doesn't happen. Posting here is not that complicated. If you still want to do that, tell us what part confused you we and can help. I already gave your account permission to attach images directly to posts so you don't have to figure out an external method.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

helios
Asternaut

Post by helios » Sat May 14, 2016 11:34 am

Ok, so the email submission is a valid method then. Thanks for letting me know.

Regarding the "How to post images" tutorial, it took me quite a while just to find it. I think it would be more intuitive to put it under the "Starship Asterisk: Handbook" forum rather than "The Observation Deck: Latest Sky Photography".

I was confused by the image size part :
Images must be under 250K if uploading them as attachments.
Please be mindful of those without fat pipes to the internet when posting images, whether linking to or attaching. If an image is over 400K or so, please consider reducing the image.

Maybe this would be clearer :
Images must be under 250K if uploading them as attachments, and under 400k if linked...
...If an image is over the limit, please consider reducing the image.

Suppose I upload a 250k attachment, and it later on becomes selected for APOD - what is the procedure for providing a final high-res image ?
Not that it will likely happen, but it's always good to know how it works.
Is there a size limit for email submissions as well ? My email attachment was 1,2 MB - does that mean it is not valid ?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat May 14, 2016 12:18 pm

I think that 250KB upload limit is rather old-fashioned these days. I changed the recommended upload limit to 2MB. The forum automatically generates a nice, small thumbnail for all uploaded images, so that point is a tad moot for uploads. Hotlinked images are another story. Bystander is constantly policing these because it's confusing to people. The pipes thing is a bit of an idiom, though. I will revise it (the English version, at least).

The editors do want the highest quality image you are willing to provide, but that doesn't mean you have to submit giant images every time. In fact it's preferable to send a sort of medium file. Not too small, not too big. After all, most images are not selected. Anyway, if you're willing to send them a higher quality one than you've uploaded or emailed to them, let them know and if they pick it they will contact you.

I am unaware of any email limitations if there are any. I would guess that you will receive an error message from the mailer daemon if your attachment is too large.

helios
Asternaut

Post by helios » Sat May 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for explaining, much appreciated ! :D

Sulthan
Asternaut

Post by Sulthan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi
I wish to submit a picture can you please give me direct uploading rights here?

Thanks
Sulthan

bilgebay
Asternaut

Post by bilgebay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 am

Hello,

I want to upload an image. Could you please enable this feature for my account.

Many thanks and best wishes.

Sedat Bilgebay

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 am

Don't know how this became the place to request this, but sure, you are both set.

bilgebay
Asternaut

Post by bilgebay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:43 am

:lol: Thank you.

Was looking for some tips and found this thread..

Sorry.

Sedat

hawky123
Asternaut

Post by hawky123 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello! I am new to the forum and am also confused on how to post a photo or GIF. I just submitted to APOD, but one of the email addressed came back with fatal error. So I don't know whether anyone has ever even seen any of my work. Unfortunately, although I understand computers and technology very well, I've avoided social media until now. Not a big fan. Any help would be appreciated.