Video Submissions

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
theurbanastronomer
Asternaut

Re: Video Submissions

Post by theurbanastronomer » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Copyright: Vineeth Kaimal (TheUrbanAstronomer.com)
Date: 29-Jan-2021
Equipment: iOptron CEM25P, GSO 6 Inch F5 Newt, Baader Solar Filter, Nikon 1 J5
Processing: PIPP, Gimp, AstroSurface, Hitfilm Express

ISS Solar Transit

Cheers,
Vineeth

Subspacetransmitter
Asternaut

M1 Crab pulsar animation (resolved in time)

Post by Subspacetransmitter » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:29 am

The animation shows a full period of the pulsar PSR B0531+21 with its two maxima resolved in time. Due to the low brightness and the recording technique the image quality is unfortunately not very high. This animation was taken on 17.01.2021 by Martin Fiedler at the observatory Radebeul (Germany) with a 24" f/3.3 GoTo Dobson and a QHY174M-GPS camera in combination with an OVNI-M night vision device. Summarized, here the single frames of a 15 second video sequence with 5ms exposure time each were successfully merged according to the pulsar frequency. If needed I can also provide an animation without the time insertion.

http://galerie2.astroclub-radebeul.de/i ... Medium.gif

Here is some additional information about the creation of the video:

According to my research on the pulsar, it has two maxima in the 33.5ms of its period, one bright and one fainter, both lasting about 5ms. This results in the minimum necessary exposure time (5ms). In addition, the pulsar is very close to another star and must be spatially resolved accordingly. So I extended the focal length, which also helps to recognize the pulsar, because the high background brightness due to the nebula is reduced.

On a 5ms frame you can't recognize stars with 15 or 16 mag even with a cooled CMOS camera + night vision device, for that the noise too high. The only option, as is often the case, is to stack enough images to get the faint pulsar out of the noise. That's when I had the idea to use our QHY-174M-GPS camera, which is actually there to measure star occultations by asteroids and can set an accurate GPS time stamp. With this, one could assign to each frame its exact location in the period of the pulsar, and then stack them precisely. For this purpose I equipped the telescope with a Barlow lens, the OVNI-M night vision device without lens/eyepiece and the QHY174M-GPS camera with a 50mm f/1.4 lens. The NVD was running at maximum gain and also the camera was at the limit with the gain but cooled down to -40°C.

Then I had to get the timestamp from the single images, rounded appropriately, into the file name. For this I searched for a long time for a useful OCR software. It would be easier if the SharpCap would do it right away (somehow I couldn't manage that). Then I built an table and took the timestamp of the first image as the beginning of the period. Then you need the exact period of the pulsar (0,033781965), which changes every year, I didn't know that before. Now I always add the full frequency to the first timestamp for the complete recording period. This resulted in the end in a column with nearly 500 values (times) in my case. Then you have to do the same for the remaining 33ms of the period (each new column +1ms). Then I built a program to find the frames matching the period times and copy them into the corresponding folders. In the end I had 34 folders with about 80 frames in each. I stacked them all manually in Fitswork, the flashing of the NVD makes an automatic detection of even the brightest star impossible. Since the star was also not clearly visible everywhere, I could usually only really use 50-60 images.

The chance that this really works out I had rather classified as low, it was completely unclear whether the time stamp of the camera is accurate enough and whether the OVNI-M can even resolve 5ms in time. But it really worked and in the animation you can see the main and the secondary maxima cleanly separated. The image quality is grotty but it worked. With a bigger telescope, better seeing and less noise I'm sure it would work without stacking, but I don't have it. Nevertheless I am very satisfied and happy with the results.

Martin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:55 am

That's extremely well done, Martin! Welcome to Starship Asterisk*!

Ann
Color Commentator

Dimitris
Asternaut

Post by Dimitris » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 am

The tango of the gas giants

In this video we see the apparent motion of Jupiter and Saturn, the two gas giants of our solar system, from 01-05-20 to 21-12-20, the day of the Great Conjuntion.
47 photos, taken at approximately 5 days intervals, reveal the cosmic dance of the two planets in our sky. The background photo is from Cape Tainaron, Greece, taken at 19-08-20.

Equipment: Canon EOS 4000D & EF-S 18-55mm at 18mm
for the close-up of the Great Conjunction I also used Sky-Watcher Skymax 90 & Star Adventurer, Celestron Plossl 1.25" 8mm eyepiece
Edit and video rendering with Photoshop CC

Regards,
Dimitris

canopia
Science Officer

Post by canopia » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:28 am

Mars & Uranus, 2020-'21
2020 was a good year for Mars observing, with the red planet coming to a perihelic opposition on 13-14th October and shining as bright as mag. -2.6. Uranus was also visible in Aries, performing a much slower retrograde motion of its own. Here, motions of Mars and Uranus can be followed from early July 2020 until the the first week of February 2021.

Another object of interest is Mira, the pulsating variable red giant star in Cetus, visible near the bottom left corner. During the course of 7 months, Mira can be seen to initially shine at mag. 8, then slowly going brighter. Just as Mars' opposition approaches, Mira reaches its yearly maximum in the first week of October, at mag. 3.2. After that, Mira can be seen getting dimmer, as faint as mag. 7 at the end.
Copyright: Tunç Tezel

MarT
Asternaut

Post by MarT » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:37 am

As the Perseverance landing is almost here, I have been training with the MARDI cam data from Curiosity:

The complete MARDI footage with a few color corrections, resolution upscale and sharpening:

The stabilized VR 360 MARDI footgage with focus on the heatshield impact from 8km above the surface:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXI6rQ7olEI&t=5s[/youtube]

Use the + button to zoom in and watch in full resolution (8k)!

The reprojected and stabilized footage of the impact itself:

yoyo79
Asternaut

timelaps video Kométa Neowise -20 000 photo

Post by yoyo79 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:09 am

Comet Neowise, visible during the summer of 2020, is a time-lapse video of about 20,000 photos ,country slovakia

https://youtu.be/bIQ7ASEdB8Q

MarT
Asternaut

Post by MarT » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:53 am

A reconstructed view of the Jezero crater from around 11km above the surface. The final image was made from LCAM, RDCAM and PUCAM images. It took me over 120 hours to process the images, align, stitch, stack, adjust brightness, sharpen and create the final video. It is a 360°version, so do not forget to drag it and look around. You can also use the + key to zoom in on your desktop/notebook. You can also use your phone as a kind of window to look around. Or you VR headset of choice.

The source data are from NASA/JPL Mars 2020 mission.
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/

I also used the information about the cameras from:
Maki, J.N., Gruel, D., McKinney, C. et al. The Mars 2020 Engineering Cameras and Microphone on the Perseverance Rover: A Next-Generation Imaging System for Mars Exploration. Space Sci Rev 216, 137 (2020)
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-00765-9

Data processing:
Marek Tušl

Dimitris
Asternaut

Post by Dimitris » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:29 am

Zooming in on M42
from 18mm to 300mm

3 photos at:
18mm, 15-12-20
135mm, 08-11-20
300mm, 18-12-20

Equipment: Canon EOS 4000D, EF 75-300mm at 135mm and 300mm & EF-S 18-55mm at 18mm
& Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer
Edit and video rendering with Photoshop CC

Regards,
Dimitris

cariletelier
Asternaut

Post by cariletelier » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:37 am

Hi!
So, we all have already seen the apparent stars motion because of the earth's rotation, but have you seen how we are moving according to the stars?. Here is a timelapse using a star tracker in the Villarrica volcano, the most active volcano in my country (Chile), with follow-up to the southern cross, agena and rigil kentaurus. and the coalsack nebula.

Exif: Nikon d850, Lens Nikkor 50mm f1.4, iOptron Skytracker Pro and Tripod Benro GA168TB1
Timelapse: 264 frames at 24 fps.
each photo: 50mm f3.5 ISO 2500 30" ( *The landscape is not blurry due to motion at 24 fps)

Place: Villarrica volcano, The Araucania region, Chile.
Date: December 17th, 2020
Time: 01:50 AM

More of my work:
http://www.instagram.com/cariletelier_foto
http://www.cariletelier.com

Wah!
Ensign

Post by Wah! » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:23 am

20210423 My best ISS, just 2 days before Crew-2

More images / animations here:
http://hkastroforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38219
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theurbanastronomer
Asternaut

Post by theurbanastronomer » Sat May 01, 2021 11:26 pm

Copyright: Vineeth Kaimal (TheUrbanAstronomer.com)
Date: 24-April-2021
Zero shadow days are days when the Sun will be directly overhead and because of this objects like blocks and cylinders will not cast a shadow when the Sun is at its highest point. It also means that if we keep a Newtonian telescope level on the ground (WITH A SOLAR FILTER and all usual solar observation precautions), the Sun will come into view at zenith. No mount required! Zero shadow days occur twice a year in all locations between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. The date it occurs will depend on the latitude of the location.

Wah!
Ensign

Post by Wah! » Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 pm

Tian He Station animation

https://youtu.be/jd3Y8f9AS8A