Submissions: 2021 September

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Submissions: 2021 September

Post by bystander » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:04 pm

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please post your images here.

Please see this thread before posting images; posting images demonstrates your agreement with
the possible uses for your image.

If hotlinking to an image, please ensure it is under 500K.
Hotlinks to images over 500K slow down the thread too much and will be disabled.

Thank you!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

<- Previous submissions

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

markh@tds.net
Science Officer

Re: Submissions: 2021 September

Post by markh@tds.net » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:18 pm

Here are a few new images I have finished recently.

The first one is M8 (the Lagoon Nebula). This is one of the most photographed regions of the sky and has been done by almost all astrophotographers, so, I needed to make it special somehow -- not an easy feat.

This was done in Chile at SWOS (Stellar Winds Observatory South) using a 24” PlaneWave CDK. The filter set was 7 filters LRGB,HA,S2,03. I first removed all the stars in the narrowband images and combined them in Photoshop and then added the RGB stars in selectively. I tried to get as much different color definition as I could to show all areas of this great nebula.
M8-NarrowRGBStarsApod.jpg
You can see the full resolution image and description here:
https://www.hansonastronomy.com/the-lagoon-nebula-m8

The second is the Grus Trio (NGC 7582,7590 and 7599). There are few images of this Trio to date. This was also done with the same telescope with a filter set of LRGB. This is a beautiful trio of galaxies that really looks wonderful together.
NGC7582RGBDoneApod.jpg
You can see the full resolution image and description here: https://www.hansonastronomy.com/ngc7582-grus-trio

Thank you,
Mark Hanson

AlessandroCantarelli
Ensign

Post by AlessandroCantarelli » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:15 pm

"Time"

Three years of tries, the first 360 degree startrail of my life. It gets the title of my favorite song, the Hans Zimmer track named Time, the meanings are multiple: from the time it took to figure out how to do it, to the exposure time of this shot, an entire night while our planet rotated on itself and the stars "made their circles" around the two poles.
I finally found a good compromise. Once I understood the settings (even there I fought a lot trying the right settings during the shooting) I began to study how to assemble everything, this time I used a few shots, the first (yes, it will be the first of a loooooong series) I wanted it very delicate, as I imagined in my head from that day, exactly so
Time.png

"Lavaredo's Gloria"

a 360 degree panorama with The Tre Cime of Lavaredo illuminated by the Moon that reflects a Spectrum of Brocken behind me; Jupiter on top of summits, the Ursa Major up the cross of Mount Paterno (2,746 mt) and at the top of highest peak the headlights of the climbers to illuminate their ascent to the summit.
Canon 5d mark4 + Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye
size: 14041x7021 pixels
Lavaredo_s-Gloria.png

the_astronomy_enthusiast
Ensign

Post by the_astronomy_enthusiast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:05 pm

The dumbell nebula by William Ostling, on Flickr

When Hubble processes images, they usually crop to the most interesting part. This image, however, shows the entire area captured by the sensor! The pure black areas in this image are parts where there is no sensor.

This image looks to me more like a painting than a photo. Tho colors, the bulbous shapes, the small details all look like oil on canvas.

A full write-up is available to read here: https://theastroenthusiast.com/the-dumb ... om-hubble/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_astronomy_enthusiast/

csnelgrove
Asternaut

Post by csnelgrove » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:26 pm

Taken over the course of this summer, this is my first submission for an APOD! Hubble's famous "Pillars of Creation" photo is the very thing that made me get outside and look up in the first place. Years later it still takes my breath away with every sub-frame. Thank you for considering my submission.

Shot in HaRGB
From Main Street, Spindale NC

https://www.astrobin.com/px4nq1/

M16 Eagle Nebula by Chase Snelgrove, on Flickr

filipgloria

Post by filipgloria » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:46 am

I’ve been doing this for a little over a year and find it so fascinating that you can take pictures of space with just a camera and a telescope. This picture of the beautiful star forming region Melotte 15 in the center of the Heart Nebula (IC 1805) was taken on the night between 30-31 of august 2021 from my aunts balcony in a suburb to Stockholm, Sweden and just about four hours of integration with my ASI 1600mm pro, 150/750 Newton telescope and 7nm bandpass for Hydrogen, Sulfur and Oxygen. Processed in Pixinsight and mostly just color balanced and noice reduced. Still learning this amazing hobby and planning on doing this for a long time!
20x5 min Ha
20x5 min SII
10x5 min OIII
No calibration files

(For a little larger version: https://telescopius.com/pictures/view/9 ... _id=128369

Sincerely,
Filip Gloria

Copyright: Filip Gloria 2021

the_astronomy_enthusiast
Ensign

Post by the_astronomy_enthusiast » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:04 pm

NGC 3603 by William Ostling, on Flickr

A full write up is here to read (with processing steps): https://theastroenthusiast.com/ngc-3603-from-hubble/

Like a 4th of July fireworks display, a young, glittering collection of stars looks like an aerial burst. The cluster is surrounded by clouds of interstellar gas and dust—the raw material for new star formation. The nebula, located 20,000 light-years away in the constellation Carina, contains a central cluster of huge, hot stars, called NGC 3603.

This environment is not as peaceful as it looks. Ultraviolet radiation and violent stellar winds have blown out an enormous cavity in the gas and dust enveloping the cluster, providing an unobstructed view of the cluster.

Iaffaldano Giuseppe Carmine
Ensign

Post by Iaffaldano Giuseppe Carmine » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:52 pm

M15 in the Flux

ImageM15 in the Flux by gc.iaffaldano, su Flickr

Copyright Iaffaldano G.C.

tango33
Science Officer

Post by tango33 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:18 pm

NGC 6188 region
This is the 'First light' image with a new RASA 14" F2.2 in Tivoli farm Namibia.
It is mounted on a Astelco NTM-500 direct drive mount
The camera is QHY600 Pro camera with 9600X6422 3.76um x 3.76um pixels

This image was composed from 6 filters data:
Ha,O3,S2,R,G,B
Ha - 5X7 minutes
S2,O3 - 5X5 minutes
R,G,B- 5X2 minutes (mainly for the star colors and the Red nebula)

All images were taken at BIN1

Even after some cropping the image is still a huge 9400X5720 Pixels therefore can't be presented here....
Total of only 1:30 HRS - but at F2.2 !!!

Imaged at Tivoli farm Namibia August 2021

Please see the full resolution 9400X5720 :
https://pbase.com/tango33/image/171927306

Bin 2 Resolution of "only" 4700X2860:
https://pbase.com/tango33/image/171921165

Thanks,

Kfir Simon
Last edited by tango33 on Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PierandreaFolle
Ensign

Post by PierandreaFolle » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:00 pm

𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡'𝐬 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

This tree is asking us some aid, compassion.
It seems that is showing Sky the way to problem, just look down here, looking for some divine help.
For this reason I decide to name this work "Earth's Calling".
Like every year in this period, we went to Pollino National Park to spend the night and make some stunning nightscape.
This time the conditions was perfect, showing us a beautiful and clean sky, maybe as never I look before.
After 8km hike I was gone, but the saw of this amazing opportunity make me alive again and ready to shoot all night long..or so.

SKY EXIF (3 panel mosaic @40mm)
Each panel 15x60s | f/2 | ISO 640
FOREGROUND EXIF (Focus stacking @14mm)
4x240s | f/5.6 | ISO 1600
Nikon D850 + Sigma ART 14mm f/1.8 + Sigma ART 40mm f/1.4 + Gitzo GT3532S + iOptron SkyGuider Pro

Copyright: Pierandrea Folle

ImageEarth's Calling by Pierandrea Folle, su Flickr

Kinch
Science Officer

Post by Kinch » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:31 pm

Sh2-134, Sh2-135
Final SH2-135 Sign (8x11).jpg
Click on Image to enlarge.

Full info and higher resolution @ https://www.kinchastro.com/sh2-135.html

stefanz
Ensign

Post by stefanz » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:00 pm

NGC 4565 and NGC 4562 in continuum light

NGC 4565 is a on-edge spiral galaxy in constellation Coma Berenices. Together with the smaller smaller NGC 4562 it belongs to the Coma I group.

Click on the picture for detailed information and full resolution pictures.

---
My Homepage
RSS news feed

stefanz
Ensign

Post by stefanz » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:02 pm

SH2-142

SH2-142 (also known as Wizard Nebula) is an emission nebula in constellation Cepheus which is ionized by the young star cluster NGC 7380.

Click on the images for detailed information and full resolution pictures.

Image Image
---
My Homepage
RSS news feed

barretosmed
Science Officer

Post by barretosmed » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:05 am

The globular star cluster NGC 6752 in the constellation of Pavo

Add 13,000 light-years away toward the southern constellation Pavo.
NGC 6752 follows the Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanaeclusters as the third brightest globe in planet Earth's night sky

Best details:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/fonjvu/0/

EQUIPMENTS:
ZWO ASI 6200MC PRO COLED
Espirit 150mm
72 x 100sec

Date: 11/07/2021
Copyright: Fernando Oliveira de Menezes
E-mail: Barretosmed@hotmail.com
Attachments
ngc6752_ABE_ABEfimmenor.jpg

Aleix_Roig
Ensign

Post by Aleix_Roig » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:24 pm

I would like to share with you a very special project, my deepest image to the date.

This image, with a total integration time of more than 170 hours, is the result of the work I’ve been doing during the last 4 years. All this time I’ve been capturing several images of the Cygnus constellation at different focal lengths and resolutions in order to obtain a high resolution wide field image of this amazing Milky Way region. I combined regular camera lenses and an APO telescope, both paired with dedicated astrophotography cameras.

Full details on my webpage: https://astrocat.info/cygnus-the-wide-field-magic-line/

HD image on Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/h808fj/

Thanks so much for your attention. Best wishes,

Aleix Roig

SkyViking
Ensign

Post by SkyViking » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:43 am

New version of my detection of light echoes from SN1987a:
Deep View of the Tarantula Region with Light Echoes from SN1987a - Narrowband Bicolour

Link to full resolution image
Link to animation of the propagating light echoes

This image shows what I believe is the first amateur detection of light echoes from SN1987a - 33 years after the event. The light echoes are produced when the initial flash from SN1987a is subsequently reflected off interstellar dust as light travels outward from the event. Direct light from the supernova was observed on Earth in 1987, and we then see light reflected from dust in the interstellar space arriving later because it has travelled further to reach us.
The detection of light echoes was created by subtracting two Luminance images taken almost 8 years apart, on 24th Oct 2012 and 21st Sep 2020 respectively, in order to create a difference image which was then superimposed on a regular colour image of the area. The expanding light echoes appear as roughly circular concentric arcs, centered on SN1987a's location.

The image is a mosaic of two deep fields centered near the bright Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070) in the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC). The field is filled with numerous bright colourful nebulae and star clusters (an annotated version is available here). At the LMCs distance of approximately 160,000 light years, the field of view seen here spans a massive 2850 x 1950 light years! At this large scale the nebulosity seem to feature many bubble shaped voids of different sizes. These are formed by the radiation pressure from young star forming regions and shockwaves from ancient supernovae. The small but comparatively recent supernova remnant of SN1987a is also visible here, as a tiny pink dot in the upper part of the image - if you know where to look.

The Tarantula Nebula
The Tarantula Nebula, named for its appearance that somewhat resembles a giant spider in the sky, is the largest known emission nebula in the Local Group of galaxies. The nebula is about 1000 light years wide and would appear bright enough to cast shadows if it was as close to us as the Orion Nebula. It is, however, located 160,000 light years away in the Large Magellanic Cloud, the largest of the dwarf galaxies that accompany our Milky Way.
In the very centre of the nebula lies R136, a super star cluster which is a very large region of star formation thought to be the precursor of a globular cluster. It is a very young cluster at only 1-2 million years and consists of giant and supergiant stars of which the majority are spectral type O3. The cluster also contains several Wolf-Rayet stars.
Speculation long surrounded the nature of the central component of the cluster, named separately as R136a, and it was once thought to be a single hypergiant star of an incredible 1500 solar masses. R136a's true nature was recently resolved by holographic speckle interferometry and found to be a dense star cluster containing very massive and luminous stars. Three extremely luminous stars (R136a1, R136a2 and R136a3) dominate this cluster and are separated by only 0.10 and 0.48 arc seconds. R136a1 is the most massive star found to date with 265 solar masses, as well as being the most luminous at 10 million times the brightness of the Sun.
The entire R136 super cluster produces most of the energy that makes the Tarantula Nebula visible. The estimated mass of the cluster is 450,000 solar masses, suggesting it will probably become a globular cluster in the future.
A super star cluster, named Westerlund 1, also exists in the Milky Way but is heavily obscured by galactic dust.

Light Echo Acquisition details:
October 2012
Exposure: LRGB: 83:67:27:27m, total 3hrs 24mins @ -30C
Telescope: Homebuilt 10" f/5 Serrurier Truss Newtonian

September-November 2020
Exposure: L 65m, total 1hr 5mins @ -25C
Telescope: Homebuilt 12.5" f/4 Serrurier Truss Newtonian

Nebula Acquisition details:
Date: Jan-Feb 2021
Exposure: Ha OIII: 335:335 mins, total 14 hours 30 mins @ -25C
Telescope: Homebuilt 12.5" f/4 Serrurier Truss Newtonian

Camera: QSI 683wsg with Lodestar guider
Filters: Astrodon 3nm Ha/OIII and LRGB E-Series Gen 2
Taken from my observatory in Auckland, New Zealand

http://www.rolfolsenastrophotography.com
Copyright: Rolf Wahl Olsen

bsteeve
Asternaut

Post by bsteeve » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:05 am

Hi everyone

This is my first submission ever...
ImageNGC6188_6164 by Steeve Body

See the full res here: https://www.astrobin.com/full/3dbeng/0/

I guess what is interesting about this picture is that it was taken using an entry level mirrorless DSLR than I picked up on eBay for $200 and removed the IR/UV filter...

This is my version of NGC 6188 and 6164 Mosaic project…
140 x 360s shots later, 14h of data total. 91 million pixels captured across 11 panels.. but I still ended up cropping the image vertically as I did not like the landscape look for this target…
This was SO much work, but well worth it I think.. This marks my first year anniversary of me taking up this hobby.
I not too sure I can get much more out of this camera. My sensor was hitting 37 degrees the other night when ambient temperature was about 17 degrees… and processing took a while to get right and eliminate noise without destroying details. Summer is not going to help… I can’t wait to get my hand on a cooled camera so I can take my images to the next levels.
I hope you like it 🙂

Acquisition: Canon EOSm100, Optolong L-Extreme, 140 x 360s iso 800
Optics: William Optics ZS 73 with field flattener
Mount: Skywatcher EQ6-R
Guiding: William Optics Uniguide with ZWO ASI 120mm mini guide camera
Automation: KStars/Ekos running on a RPI 4 with Stellarmate OS
Processing: Astropixel processor, Pixinsight, Photoshop
Shooting location: Bentleigh, Bortel 6/7

Tamas Abraham
Ensign

Post by Tamas Abraham » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:30 am

Moon and the Beehive Cluster
http://www.vadakcsillaga.hu/tajkep/ejsz ... 10904.html
Copyright: Tamas Abraham
moon_beehive_50_abraham_210904.jpg
Thanks for watching,
Tamas

thomasroell
Ensign

Post by thomasroell » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:04 pm

—————————————————————————

RGB 21 x 300, gain 101, -15C

Total exposure time 1 hour and 45 minutes

🖥 Edited in AstroPixel Processor, Photoshop and Lightroom
🔭Sky-watcher HEQ5, Sharpstar 61EDPH II Triplet APO, Svbony 60 mm guidescope with a ZWO ASI120MM guidecamera.

🕹ZWO ASIAIR Pro

📷 ZWO ASI533MC, Optolong L-Enhance filter
Attachments
Trifid_and_Lagoon_533_61EDPH_lenhance_21_x_300s_gain_101_-15C pps2.jpg

StefanoDeRosa
Science Officer

Post by StefanoDeRosa » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:32 pm

Crescent Moon over Venice
instagram.com/stefano.derosa_photography
Copyright: Stefano De Rosa Please find above two images taken before sunrise on September 4, 2021, from two iconic locations of Venice (Italy) that is currently hosting the “Venice International Film Festival”.
Also in the sky there was a great show: the “main star” was a Crescent Moon with a beautiful earthshine.
In the first picture, taken from the bridge “Ponte dell’Accademia”, our natural satellite is shining over the Grand Canal; the church at the center of the frame is “Saint Mary of Health”.
In the second image the Moon is “close” to the St Mark's Campanile over an extraordinarily empty San Marco Square.
Best regards
Stefano De Rosa

the_astronomy_enthusiast
Ensign

Post by the_astronomy_enthusiast » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:42 pm

Messier 83 by William Ostling, on Flickr

The full image is a stunning 77 megapixels! I highly recommend viewing it on gigapan: http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/227085.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_astronomy_enthusiast/

carlos uriarte
Ensign

Post by carlos uriarte » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi! A supernova remmant, 57 h exp time in HOO palette. It's size in the sky is similar to the size of a full moon. It's outer shell has ruptured between the 10 and 11 o'clock position. Originally this was thought to be a Planetary nebula (Abell 85) but in 1971 it was determined that is actually a supernova remmant.
ImageCtb1 Abell 85 by Carlos Uriarte, en Flickr
Gear:
Takahashi FSQ 106ED
Atik 460 EX mono
Paramount ME
Filters: Astrodon Ha 130 subs, OIII 97 subs. 900"
August - Setember 21
:) Enthusiastic astrophotographer of latitude 42

KuriousGeorge
Science Officer

Post by KuriousGeorge » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:34 am

NGC 7640 in Andromeda. KG Observatory, Julian, CA.

Discovered on October 17, 1786 by the English astronomer William Herschel, NGC 7640 is an 11th magnitude barred spiral galaxy.

Also known as LEDA 71220, UGC 12554 and IRAS 23197+4034, this galaxy is located in the constellation Andromeda, 38.8 million light-years from Earth.

Galaxies of this type are recognizable by their spiral arms, which fan out not from a circular core, but from an elongated bar cutting through the galaxy’s center.

NGC 7640 might not look much like a spiral in this image, but this is due to the orientation of the galaxy with respect to an observer on Earth.

There is evidence that this galaxy has experienced some kind of interaction in its past.

https://www.astrobin.com/enr9up/
Attachments
NGC7640_S1a_LHE2_Crop_HVLG_Dust1_Curves_Sat_Noise_SS2083x2_Curves_USM8043.jpg

vanamonde81
Science Officer

Post by vanamonde81 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:34 am

yaW ykliM remmuS ehT
Copyright: György Soponyai

This picture is the result of a photo experiment where I wanted to capture the "inverse" Milky Way arc facing towards Northern direction (from the Northern Hemisphere).
I have seen thousands of wonderful nightscape photos where the main subject is the complete Milky Way arc above wonderful foregrounds. But almost all of them depicts the Southern horizon. It's obvious as the center of our Galaxy is visible on the Southern sky.
But here I wanted to record the Arc with the Big Dipper and the Polaris. As you can see it's very hard to recognize the constellations due to the HEAVY perspective distortion and the Milky Way has a strange "inside out" view.

The location of the photo is the annual astro camp of Hungarian Astronomical Association in Gerecse Mountain near Tarján (~50km southwest from Budapest). Last year the event was cancelled, this year the crowd was halved to be due to COVID-19 pandemic, but at last I was able to met some old friends of mine.

2021.08.13. Tarján, Hungary
Canon EOS 5D Mark II + Samyang EF 14/2.8 + Optolong L-PRO filter
12 x 30 sec, F/2.8, ISO 4000

benjamin.csizi
Asternaut

Post by benjamin.csizi » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:59 am

The Western Veil Nebula and Pickering's Triangle, part of the large supernova remnant known as the Cygnus loop.
This is a 10h narrowband HOO image (5h per filter) taken a few nights ago from Bavaria, Germany.

Gear: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED, iOptron CEM60, ASI1600MM Pro, Baader filters

Full resolution and image details: https://www.astrobin.com/ucogmu/