Interstellar travel

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
dmiura19
Asternaut

Interstellar travel

Post by dmiura19 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there are any goals/ideas for exploring outside of our solar system following voyager 1?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Interstellar travel

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 pm

dmiura19 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there are any goals/ideas for exploring outside of our solar system following voyager 1?

Code: Select all

Name 	      Launched 	  Distance (AU)  Speed (km/s)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voyager 1 	1977 	      141 	      17
Pioneer 10 	1972 	      120 	      12
Voyager 2 	1977 	      116 	      15
Pioneer 11 	1973 	      99    	      11
New Horizons 	2006 	      40 	      14 
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/voyager/multimedia/pia14112.html wrote:

<<This graphic shows the relative positions of NASA’s most distant spacecraft in early 2011, looking at the solar system from the side. Voyager 1 is the most distant spacecraft, about 17.5 billion kilometers (10.9 billion miles) away from the sun at a northward angle. Pioneer 10, the next most distant, is about 15.4 billion kilometers (9.6 billion miles) away from the sun on the opposite side of the solar system. Voyager 2 is about 14.2 billion kilometers (8.8 billion miles) away from the sun on a southward trajectory, on the same side of the solar system as Voyager 1. Pioneer 11 is about 12.4 billion kilometers (7.8 billion miles) away from the sun. New Horizons is about 3 billion kilometers (2 billion miles) away from the sun, on its way to Pluto.>>
Art Neuendorffer

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:47 pm

You should have a look at the Interstellar Travel Wikipedia page, as well as the Interstellar Probe page there.

Rob

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:44 am

Also check out the Centauri Dreams website. Their mission is to imagine what it might take to turn the dream of interstellar missions into reality. The weblog's author does a good job in covering all manner of space flight news.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 am

I think it will be possible in the future. Dozens of companies are now well advanced in space development. The companies are actively engaged in the development of spacecraft. Recently I got acquainted with the design of the third stage from Skyrora. It seems to me that the future belongs to such companies. If you are also interested, you can take a look at the company's developments here https://www.skyrora.com/third-stage it is interesting and informative, and it also gives hope that in the future we will be able to at least travel on the Moon. Of course, humanity is far from such magical journeys as in the movie "Passengers". But in a dream, an idea is born, and in an idea, there are developments of all kinds of unimaginable gizmos.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:43 pm

KayBur wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 am
I think it will be possible in the future. Dozens of companies are now well advanced in space development. The companies are actively engaged in the development of spacecraft. Recently I got acquainted with the design of the third stage from Skyrora. It seems to me that the future belongs to such companies. If you are also interested, you can take a look at the company's developments here https://www.skyrora.com/third-stage it is interesting and informative, and it also gives hope that in the future we will be able to at least travel on the Moon. Of course, humanity is far from such magical journeys as in the movie "Passengers". But in a dream, an idea is born, and in an idea, there are developments of all kinds of unimaginable gizmos.
Interstellar travel will never be undertaken by humans. Maybe by robots, but only if they're all that is left of us, or we've changed ourselves to the point that we are willing and able to take on projects that last for thousands of years.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Chris Peterson wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:43 pm

Interstellar travel will never be undertaken by humans. Maybe by robots, but only if they're all that is left of us, or we've changed ourselves to the point that we are willing and able to take on projects that last for thousands of years.
No doubt.

Nevertheless, seven decades of xenophobic rally broadcasts from 1936 to 2016 are now out there among the stars.

I wouldn't be surprised if ET is already trying to figure out some way to put up a big beautiful wall or cage to keep us all in.
Art Neuendorffer

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:31 am

neufer wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:38 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
No doubt.
I doubt. Pardon me, but isn't this pessimism toward interstellar travel by humans biased on a supposition that human frailties will remain such as they are for the indefinite future? What if humanity is somehow able to overcome its existential threats as well as the aging problem that so limit our lifespans? Just a more hopeful take ..., offered as food for thought.
Nevertheless, seven decades of xenophobic rally broadcasts from 1936 to 2016 are now out there among the stars.

I wouldn't be surprised if ET is already trying to figure out some way to put up a big beautiful wall or cage to keep us all in.
Vast interstellar distance has provided a natural cage. But we are still infants who haven't yet learned how to crawl out of our crib.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:26 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:31 am
neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:

No doubt.
I doubt. Pardon me, but isn't this pessimism toward interstellar travel by humans biased on a supposition that human frailties will remain such as they are for the indefinite future? What if humanity is somehow able to overcome its existential threats as well as the aging problem that so limit our lifespans? Just a more hopeful take ..., offered as food for thought.
We ONLY went to the Moon in the first place due to a perceived VISIBLE existential threat: Communism.

(Though we aren't even capable of dealing with INVISIBLE existential threats: E.g. Pandemics & Global Warming.)
BDanielMayfield wrote:
neufer wrote:

Vast interstellar distance has provided a natural cage.

But we are still infants who haven't yet learned how to crawl out of our crib.
  • There is no age limit on cage separations:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/23/child-separation-migrants-prosecutors-rod-rosenstein wrote:
Rod Rosenstein advised there was no age limit on child separations

<<One US attorney, John Bash of the western district of Texas, said he had declined to prosecute several cases that had been referred to him by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) that involved children under the age of five. In response, Rosenstein told the US attorneys that they could not decline to prosecute cases based on the age of the children who would be separated from their parents because there was “no categorical exemption” under the order. The comments were met with shock by some of the US attorneys because there was concern that children who were under the age of five would not know their own names or their parents’ names and that it posed a risk of children potentially getting lost in the system.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
No doubt.
I don't expect humans to be around, or not around as a highly technological civilization, much longer.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:04 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 am
BDanielMayfield wrote:
neufer wrote:

No doubt.
I don't expect humans to be around, or not around as a highly technological civilization, much longer.
We are in agreement about the impending collapse of this current uncivil global civilization. I'm confident however that there will be survivors.

Bruce, short term pessimist, long term optimist.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:10 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:04 am
Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 am
BDanielMayfield wrote:

We are in agreement about the impending collapse of this current uncivil global civilization. I'm confident however that there will be survivors.

Bruce, short term pessimist, long term optimist.
It would take an awful lot to kill of human beings. We are a very resilient species. But it wouldn't take much at all to keep our culture from advancing to the point that we would have lifetimes of thousands of years and the social stability to manage global projects on such time scales.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Marsdmitri
Asternaut

Post by Marsdmitri » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:37 am

Every 5000-7000 years new star will arrive to the Sun on the distance like Proxima Centauri 3 light-years.
Look please the figure: Distances to the nearest stars from 20,000 years ago until 80,000 years in the future.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ure-en.svg from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnard%27s_Star

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:06 pm

As the Earth travels around the Milky Way, it is engaged in a type of interstellar travel. The last time we were at this location, dinosaurs were coming of age and the continents were gathered together. The next time we rotate around, our Earth will again look much different. If we are around when Andromeda collides with the Milky Way, we will see a completely different sky and, I suspect, we will have visited many different star neighborhoods enumerable times. 8-)
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"