Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
The Code
2+2=5
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:39 pm
AKA: Swainy
Location: The Earth, The Milky Way, Great Britain

Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by The Code » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Is it possible that the Earth protected the Face of the Moon from the meteor bombardment long ago. Are there more Craters on the dark side of the Moon?

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 18684
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:12 pm

There is no 'Dark Side of the Moon", except for Pink Floyd's album, only near side and far side. I would expect the far side to be more cratered, as the near side was partially shielded by the Earth.

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:19 pm

The near face of the moon-----------And the Far side
ImageImage
larger images near side and far side

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 18684
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:25 pm


User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14458
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:26 pm

mark swain wrote:Is it possible that the Earth protected the Face of the Moon from the meteor bombardment long ago. Are there more Craters on the dark side of the Moon?
Most of the cratering on the Moon occurred during the Late Heavy Bombardment about 4 billion years ago. That was before the Moon became tidally locked, so it wasn't keeping any one face directed towards the Earth. Since it became tidally locked, its distance has been such that the Earth was never larger in its sky than a couple of degrees. You could imagine that the part of the Moon directly under this small "shield" might get slightly less meteoroid activity, but the Earth also acts as a gravitational lens, focusing bodies slightly towards the Moon. So any effect by the Earth, either enhancing or reducing lunar impacts, is probably too small to detect.

Cratering is similar on the near and far sides of the Moon. The total number of craters is higher on the far side, but that's because that side was never flooded by the basalt plains we see. The cratering rate is about the same. Actually, the cratering rate is slightly higher in the western hemisphere, since that is the leading edge in the Moon's orbit around the Earth, and it therefore accumulates slightly more debris. The difference is subtle, however.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16152
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by neufer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Cratering is similar on the near and far sides of the Moon. The total number of craters is higher on the far side, but that's because that side was never flooded by the basalt plains we see. The cratering rate is about the same. Actually, the cratering rate is slightly higher in the western hemisphere, since that is the leading edge in the Moon's orbit around the Earth, and it therefore accumulates slightly more debris. The difference is subtle, however.
Don't you mean the eastern hemisphere, since that is the leading edge in the Moon's orbit around the Earth :?:
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14458
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:45 pm

neufer wrote:Don't you mean the eastern hemisphere, since that is the leading edge in the Moon's orbit around the Earth?
When you look at the Moon from the Earth, the western hemisphere is to the east, and the eastern hemisphere is to the west. This convention means that from the Moon, the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west. It also means that the lunar western hemisphere is the leading side in the Moon's orbit around the Earth.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16152
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by neufer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:54 pm

bystander wrote:Images: The Far Side
Image
Art Neuendorffer

joetommasi@yahoo.com

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by joetommasi@yahoo.com » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Is there an age difference between the lunar seas and the highlands? And how do we know this age difference?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16152
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Distribution of Craters on the Moon

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 am

joetommasi@yahoo.com wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Is there an age difference between the lunar seas and the highlands? And how do we know this age difference?
The highlands are more cratered than the seas; hence, they must be older.
Art Neuendorffer