New moon?

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
Dans
Asternaut

New moon?

Post by Dans » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:25 am

The last several days I have noticed a bright star in the eastern morning sky. This morning i got my field binoculars to take a closer look and this star has a cresent shape. Assuming its in our solar system it must be one of the planets? Does anyone know and are we on a closer orbit than normal?
Thanks

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: New moon?

Post by bystander » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:50 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:25 am

See here, here, here, and here for pictures of the crescent moon and Venus.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:37 am

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Hello,

Actually, i don't understand why there is an enormous white crescent in the blue sky of this picture...
Is it Venus? If the enormous crescent is Venus, thus how could Venus be so big in our sky, compared to the moon, while Venus is so far away from us, compared to our satellite? Why? Is it an optical illusion?
Or if the enormous crescent represents the moon, so the little crescent is Venus. In this case, why the moon would be so big, in our sky?

If someone can answer me, thank you a lot :)
Have a very nice day!

Céline

VoijaRisa
Asternaut

Post by VoijaRisa » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Celine: Those pictures were obviously taken with some sort of telescope or telephoto lens. The Moon (large crescent) is about 1º in angular size which means Venus (the little one) is ~1/20º. That's not big by any stretch of the imagination.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:39 pm

VoijaRisa wrote:Celine: Those pictures were obviously taken with some sort of telescope or telephoto lens. The Moon (large crescent) is about 1º in angular size which means Venus (the little one) is ~1/20º. That's not big by any stretch of the imagination.
The Moon's angular diameter is 1/2°, or 30 arcminutes. Venus only shows a fine crescent at inferior conjunction, when its angular diameter is about 1 arcminute. So images like this should show about a 30-to-1 difference in the apparent diameters- regardless of whether they look physically large in the image or not.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 am

Hi :)

Thank you a lot for your explanations :) I even feel a little ridiculous now... The Moon is closer, so it appears bigger (=the large crescent), while the angular diameter of Venus is much more little (about a 30 to 1 difference, yes!!).

Thank you, have a very good day,

Céline :saturn:
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child