Best ways to identify what I see at night

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
parrothead117
Asternaut

Best ways to identify what I see at night

Post by parrothead117 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:22 am

Hi all. Long time APOD addict, first time commenter.

I consider myself pretty adept at this here internet business, but I'm tired of Googling and searching forums and visiting web pages that haven't been updated since the days of geocities. The time has come to swallow my pride, ask my question, and risk the consequences:

What are some of the best ways to identify the objects I see in the night sky?

I am not even fit to call myself an amateur; I am merely a casual neophyte with a longstanding interest in astronomy. But I want to be more. I want to learn the names of the bright points of light I'm seeing. But I just cannot seem to find out how to do this.

For example, I was out tonight and I saw a bright, flickering object nearly lined up with Orion's belt, but fairly distant from it. I thought it might be a satellite or even the ISS. I checked a NASA website that tracks the visibility of the ISS, and ruled out that possibility, but remain at a loss to identify what I saw. Moreover, I'm at a loss to identify most other objects I see.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks all.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Best ways to identify what I see at night

Post by owlice » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm

parrothead, welcome to Asterisk!

You will probably find this site helpful: This Week's Sky at a Glance

Updated regularly and shows what's up there now. Enjoy!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:34 pm

parrothead117 wrote:What are some of the best ways to identify the objects I see in the night sky?
I'd suggest a planisphere, an inexpensive paper or plastic circle with a star map on it, which can be rotated for the time of year to provide a view of your sky. These are available online and often from bookstores. I think they provide the easiest way to learn the major stars and constellations.
For example, I was out tonight and I saw a bright, flickering object nearly lined up with Orion's belt, but fairly distant from it.
Was it moving? If so, an airplane or satellite are the most likely explanations. But from your description, I'm guessing you were seeing Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky. I don't know where you live, but from temperate northern latitudes Sirius is usually fairly low in the sky, and tends to twinkle madly, often showing some colors as it does. It is very eye catching, and often mistaken for things other than stars. It lies in line with Orion's belt, to the left for northern observers, about as far away as Orion is high.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Sky and Telescope has a friendly site with a JAVA interactive program the I find useful

parrothead117
Asternaut

Post by parrothead117 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Sounds like Sirius is a good bet for the object that prompted my question. I'm sure I've been told dozens of times what it is, but haven't managed to memorize the information yet. And I just couldn't figure out how to find out.

I got the all-sky chart for my location from the Sky & Telescope site. I'm going to give it a try tonight. I can only see the brightest objects unless I go for a drive, but seeing a smaller number of stars and planets might be helpful in getting oriented.

Wayne
Ensign

Post by Wayne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Download and install Stellarium. It'll show you on your computer screen what you can also see outside, and can identify most objects.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Or Equinox.

Rob

parrothead117
Asternaut

Post by parrothead117 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Thank you. I'll look into Stellarium and/or Equinox.

I'm happy to report that my early experiments with downloadable star charts have gone well. My wife and I have identified over a dozen stars and other objects over the past few nights.

The next step, I think, is to get away from our light-saturated, urban viewing area and into a darker location. Then, after a while, maybe even a starter telescope. Any thoughts on telescopes (particularly about the ideal size for beginners) would be appreciated. :)

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:15 am

The conventional wisdom seems to be "join an astronomy club." You'll learn about telescopes from a range of people who already have a range of telescopes, have lots of opportunities to talk with people about their telescopes, get a chance to look through them, and learn to identify even more stuff, too.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

parrothead117
Asternaut

Post by parrothead117 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:44 am

That's a good idea. I'll look into that, and hold off on the telescope discussion for now.

I downloaded Stellarium and tested it out this evening (Equinox seems to be for Mac only). It's amazing! Certainly the coolest program I've downloaded in a long time. I must have seen two or three dozen stars with its help -- in other words, nearly all of the stars I can see from my poor viewing area.

So, things are going great, and thanks again for everyone's assistance and advice!

rosettastoned
Asternaut

Post by rosettastoned » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Another interesting program is Microsofts WorldWide Telescope(beta). It contains in itself a wonderful set of starmaps(all major catalogues), very detailed Mars Map(& rest of solar system including Earth oc), in short not Google Earth, but MS Space :wink:
There are also guided tours and other cool stuff as well.
In addition you can also download extra software like ASCOM, that you can use to actually gain control, or at least get live streams, from telescopes from all around the world that is made available through WWT(at least I think that's what it does lol). I'm just trying it out now, looks very nice, but it's a little heavy on the system so you'll need a pretty good computer to zoom fast & so on.
It is available as stand-alone program and also as browser based app.

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx

But for your use stellarium is the best imo, easy and hassle-free.

oh btw: It is free even though an MS program :mrgreen:

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Hello,

Yes Stellarium is great!! You can identify constellations and interesting objects to see inside the nightsky before the night comes.

You can add, or suppress, the drawing of constellations (you even have constellations from different civilizations, past and present!), and names of objects (stars, planets, etc). The magnitude and other informations about stars are mentioned, if you click on the object, which is useful for astrophotography.

I have already seen a flying star (a meteoroid) on stellarium, during a split of a second... I was connected to the internet, but i wonder if Stellarium is so much updated, in real time. As i didn't know if this flying star was real, i didn't make any wish :) The nightsky is associated with so many beliefs...

Have a very nice day,

Céline
Attachments
Jupiter seen with Stellarium (i have taken in picture the screen of my computer)
Jupiter seen with Stellarium (i have taken in picture the screen of my computer)
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:45 am

Céline Richard wrote:I have already seen a flying star (a meteoroid) on stellarium, during a split of a second... I was connected to the internet, but i wonder if Stellarium is so much updated, in real time. As i didn't know if this flying star was real, i didn't make any wish :) The nightsky is associated with so many beliefs...
If you mean "meteor", then it was certainly synthesized. The view of meteors is extremely local (just move a few kilometers away and it will look completely different, or not be seen at all). Except for a few camera networks covering a tiny percentage of the Earth, meteors are not monitored or recorded.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:46 am

Chris Peterson wrote:If you mean "meteor"...
Yes, i think so.
Chris Peterson wrote:...then it was certainly synthesized. The view of meteors is extremely local (just move a few kilometers away and it will look completely different, or not be seen at all). Except for a few camera networks covering a tiny percentage of the Earth, meteors are not monitored or recorded.
I thought it could be seen from very far away, not just over a few kilometers!
Thank you,

Céline
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child