JPL: NASA Mars Rover Getting Smarter with Age

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

JPL: NASA Mars Rover Getting Smarter with Age

Post by RJN » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 pm

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/n ... 00323.html
NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, now in its seventh year on Mars, has a new capability to make its own choices about whether to make additional observations of rocks that it spots on arrival at a new location.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

JPL: Under their own AEGIS

Post by bystander » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Under their own AEGIS
The Autonomous Exploration for Gathering Increased Science System, or AEGIS, is being developed by the Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Systems Groups at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory to provide automated targeting for remote sensing instruments on the Mars Exploration Rover (MER) mission.
AEGIS operates by analyzing MER navigation camera, or Navcam, images to identify terrain features of interest – large, dark colored rocks, for example. The types of terrain characteristics to target are specified by scientists and uplinked to the robots on Mars.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: JPL: NASA Mars Rover Getting Smarter with Age

Post by neufer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 pm

RJN wrote:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/n ... 00323.html
NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, now in its seventh year on Mars, has a new capability to make its own choices about whether to make additional observations of rocks that it spots on arrival at a new location.
Wait'l it learns to read lips.
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Re: JPL: NASA Mars Rover Getting Smarter with Age

Post by wonderboy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Is this not quite scary :(. I mean its a robot, which learns to target rocks at will! sooner or later there'll be robots that can target humans. Its gonna end up like the matrix aint it? lol.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?